Core Paths on O.S. maps

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Moder-dye

Core Paths on O.S. maps

Post by Moder-dye »

If you get out and about in Scotland you might want to support the Ramblers Association campaign to have core paths shown on Ordnance Survey maps of Scotland in the same way public rights of way are shown in England and Wales...

http://www.ramblers.org.uk/get-involved ... core-paths
Last edited by Moder-dye on Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DoctorRad

Re: Core Paths on O.S. maps

Post by DoctorRad »

I don't normally support the Ramblers as - unless they've changed recently - they tend to advocate rights for those on foot at the expense of rights for other trail / path users. However, this one does look like it's worth supporting.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Well being in public right of way and outdoor access related work most of my life I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with them too, but there's no sense putting all the money, time and effort into the core paths network if it's all hidden away on local authority websites which are never the easiest interface to use.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I'd rather see that data on the OSM maps. As the OS seem to want to charge for access to their data. If this data has already been paid for by tax payers then I'd rather not pay again
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

I've nothing against the ramblers per se, & it's good see them include cyclists in the description when trying to add weight to their argument. But the cynic inside me does wonder if they'd show the same 'we're all in it together' attitude with regards further footpath access for cyclists in England & Wales.

Then there's Janet St Porter....
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Wotsits wrote:I've nothing against the ramblers per se, & it's good see them include cyclists in the description when trying to add weight to their argument. But the cynic inside me does wonder if they'd show the same 'we're all in it together' attitude with regards further footpath access for cyclists in England & Wales.

Then there's Janet St Porter....
I was surprised that the ramblers did back the Welsh access for bike consultation stuff that was about recently.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

ianfitz wrote: I was surprised that the ramblers did back the Welsh access for bike consultation stuff that was about recently.
I did notice that at the time & was also surprised Ian, let’s hope that this change of tone is a sign of better future understanding between the two groups.

Ramblers Wales & Scotland do appear to be slightly differently represented though, would be interesting to know if this includes some of their policies/objectives?..

I’ve always thought that some of the friction between cyclists (especially off road), & ramblers was partly a generational thing. The ramblers as a lobby group are very influential compared to mountain bikers & i have often wondered what the ratio of retired lawyers/judiciary is between the two groups?!

Anyway, i'm trying not to be too much of a grump about them & have signed their petition.. :-bd
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Wotsits wrote:
ianfitz wrote: I was surprised that the ramblers did back the Welsh access for bike consultation stuff that was about recently.
I did notice that at the time & was also surprised Ian, let’s hope that this change of tone is a sign of better future understanding between the two groups.

Ramblers Wales & Scotland do appear to be slightly differently represented though, would be interesting to know if this includes some of their policies/objectives?..

I’ve always thought that some of the friction between cyclists (especially off road), & ramblers was partly a generational thing. The ramblers as a lobby group are very influential compared to mountain bikers & i have often wondered what the ratio of retired lawyers/judiciary is between the two groups?!

Anyway, i'm trying not to be too much of a grump about them & have signed their petition.. :-bd
I have too, despite some reservations.

There is sone interesting data emerging from a couple of studies recently. Multiple location questionnaires with people in various Peak District locations. It found that a huge percentage of people who were running or Mtbing were either local or staying for the weekend/overnight.

The majority of red socks had driven in for the day with tanks of supermarket diesel, packed lunch and a flask.

I'll leave you to guess which has the great impact on the local economy. Meanwhile most of the council funding and emphasis is placed on hiking. Which seems to involve people contributing very little while expecting well a maintained path network.