Replacement, aftermarket poles for an MSR tent

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Clanton

Replacement, aftermarket poles for an MSR tent

Post by Clanton »

We have an MSR Carbon reflex 3 tent which we bought for cycle touring. Overall it is a good tent - the only issue we have had is the carbon fibre poles snap. So far we've had them go twice and in one occasion the sharp end then tore the flysheet. In both cases MSR replaced poles (and flysheet!) FOC with no quibble. Trouble is we have lost faith in the tent - really don't see us using it in anger again unless we replace the poles. In both cases the poles snapped without any real stress on them, whilst in use ie tent erected, no high winds, no apparent reason for failure.

MSR could not replace the poles with another (aluminium?) option - so we are thinking about getting new poles custom made - if this is cost effective.

I have done a half hearted search on line but not found anything helpful - anyone got any ideas?

Thanks
Si

Re: Replacement, aftermarket poles for an MSR tent

Post by Si »

If you have lost faith in the tent are you able to return it for a refund? It appears to have a history of not being suitable for its designed use
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

What you need to do is measure the total length of the pole and get your calipers out and fine the diameter of the carbon poles you have. That's the starting point. You then need to estimate the thickest pole that will fit within the pole sleeve or clip system.

After that you have the starting point "I need 2050cm x 9mm Easton pole" for instance.

From here you can contact http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/p/customer- ... /contacts/ them for a closest match. I have done this in the past and so have others. Expect to pay upwards of £70.00 for Easton and always go longer than you need (if they don't have an exact match) and cut down one end (instructions how to do this can be found online).

Secondly, you can just by sections (mostly fiberglass) which may suit your needs and is considerably less expensive.

Thirdly, get cheap tent off the net and modify its poles for your own needs - this is my perfered route now if I was going to keep the tent.

Having said that, my recommendation: sell the tent now on EBay or the like, as its all like new (new fly and ploes etc) and pocket the cash to put towards something else you will be happy with.
Gudfar

Post by Gudfar »

Hi, I used these people when I lost some obsolete poles off the back of my bike. Excellent service and they may be able to help. http://www.hamptonworks.co.uk/campingtentpoles.html
Clanton

Post by Clanton »

Thanks very much for the advice. As the ten wads our lightweight cycle touring tent it didn't see very regular use and is now really too old for warranty. i will deifnitely look at the Easton and hampton options - thanks!