Kendal - Anyone live there

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

snack_ie

Kendal - Anyone live there

Post by snack_ie »

Random I know...

I have the opportunity to move from Cambridge to Kendal...

Anyone on the forum live there and could offer some advice... Kendal seems like a nice place, and it's close to the mountains and living close to the Lakes / Yorkshire Dales has always been appealing but kind of a scary move... but I do like to shake things up every now and then...

The only downside is that it rains a lot up north :-(

N
boxelder

Re: Kendal - Anyone live there

Post by boxelder »

http://www.itv.com/news/border/story/20 ... ive-in-uk/

As a northern (proper) Cumbrian, I'm reticent to agree. It's a grey place at times - grey stone, grey weather, but has loads of benefits. You could certainly do a lot worse.
Don't overlook the fact that it's 1/2 an hour into the Yorkshire Dales from there too!
Single speed George?
Postie Rich?
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Rain is only water.

Cambridge or Kendal? I'd take that move. No questions.

There's a good community of people who like to do actual stuff living there. If it suited my family situation and I still couldnt find a way to move to the highlands I'd go for it
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Move. Get a house above water line with no past flooding. Revel in living very near the mountains.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Be a no brainer to me if you like the hills however the summer hordes could be a bit off putting.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I grew up in the area, actually a rural location but Kendal was the local town. Like anywhere it has good bits and bad bits so don't head there thinking everything's rosy. It's a generally wealthy town with low unemployment rates, no idea about schools if you have kids. Since the flood relief work on the Kent in the 1970s I don't think there has been much flooding except possibly for the properties right by the river.

The Lakes and Howgills are close, Yorkshire Dales and Forest of Bowland a bit further away - Skipton is just over an hour for example. The Scottish Borders (Seven Stanes, etc) are under two hours, North Wales and the Peak are just over two hours. Obviously stuff in the south is harder/takes longer to get to.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

It takes agrees to get down south from the south-ish anyways! #traffic
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Zippy wrote:It takes agrees to get down south from the south-ish anyways! #traffic
Sounds like a bonus to me. :wink:
quimarche

Post by quimarche »

Plenty of places to live in the environs. Kendal gets snarled up in the rush hours, but that's relative and nothing like more populous areas. Most of the bridges have now been fixed but do avoid low-lying properties. Bank holidays are busy; in fact, the whole district is much busier than it used to be and for much of the time, but you soon learn when/where to avoid the crowds. There's nothing like climbing Helvellyn after work and having it all to yourself. Spoilt for choice when it comes to riding, with big hills, flat coastal plains, and everything in between. Scotland is much closer. One of the few rural areas which voted to remain, if that makes a difference. It lacks the grand architecture of Cambridge but you'll see Kentmere rising up from your window. And has friendly close-knit active communities for culture, sport, music, etc. Go for it!
snack_ie

Post by snack_ie »

Many thanks for the advice peeps... will see what happens!
hairy

Post by hairy »

lived there for 2 years, pretty nice little villages in and around the area, if i come back the the UK will probably be there
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

I live up here ( now live in shap but still work in kendal) ,
kendal ./ south lakes is grate! good mountain biking, ok pubs, good people, Mountains, ski touring (the last 3 weekends) climbing, Bouldering, beaches 45 min away on the lake district panisulars, road biking in the (eaden vally if you like flat or the lakes and dales if you like hills.) sheep, bogs, crags, winter climbing, basically everything. even night winter climbing after work!

close to Scotland (i can be in glencoe after work on a fryday before 10 in time for a pint at the kings)

biking in the lakes is bussy in the summer but the drive to the dales is simmilar time (ingleton is 25 min) so thats my choice for summer riding as no tourists so you can get everywhere dead easily as next to m6
bearlymoving

Post by bearlymoving »

I've fancied Kendal for a while. This isn't helping!
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Off to see The Wedding Present in Kendal later #studentflashback
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

boxelder wrote:Off to see The Wedding Present in Kendal later #studentflashback
Really? Wanders off to find venue list ......
snack_ie

Post by snack_ie »

Thanks guys,

Really struggling with a decision but just thinking about fell running, mountain biking, skiing in scotland / being close to Scotland etc etc just makes me think I am an idiot for even thinking twice about this! Just typing this makes think 'just do it'.

Will have a think anyway and let you know!

N
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Fell running? Evening runs over The Helm or Underbarrow Scar without needing to use a car to start. Kentmere horseshoe a few miles away would be the nearest of the Lakeland classics. Howgills - Sedbergh is under half an hour's drive.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

snack_ie wrote:Thanks guys,

Really struggling with a decision but just thinking about fell running, mountain biking, skiing in scotland / being close to Scotland etc etc just makes me think I am an idiot for even thinking twice about this! Just typing this makes think 'just do it'.

Will have a think anyway and let you know!

N
if ur fell running join helm hill fell running club on a wednesday night make lots of friends that way too ... im not currently a member as get to injured fell running and now live in shap so its a little further for wednesday night training , but ye...