Advice

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Geomickb

Advice

Post by Geomickb »

Hello!

I am planning my first bikepacking trip at xmas.

I have two days, a 29er, with rack and pannier and a few other waterproof bags and camping gear.

How do I start planning a route? I live just outside the Peak District and ideally would cycle out, camp, then cycle back.

Any route advice? Should I camp or hostel so my first trip is easier?

Could I get the train instead with all my gear?

Mick
whitestone

Re: Advice

Post by whitestone »

People like Ianfitz and Richpips can help with actual routes as they live near the Peak.

General advice is to choose a short route as your first bikepacking excursion, if things go pear-shaped you can head home. Do a bit of reccying to find a suitable bivy site, in winter you'll probably want somewhere in or near trees to give you a bit more shelter. Don't choose a technical route as you need to get used to how your bike will handle with the extra weight, you'll also find it tougher riding because of the weight.

Invariably for your first trip you'll have too much gear and it will be heavy, don't worry we've all been there! The ultra-light setups that you see being bandied about are usually for summer races - while you might aspire to them they aren't the norm.

Dry run your kit at home as much as you can: cook a meal on your camping stove; put the tarp/tent up in the garden, that sort of thing. Make a list of stuff you want to take, check it off as you pack it and when you get back note which items you didn't use or didn't work as you intended - these are your areas of improvement.

Let us know how you get on.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I have two days, a 29er, with rack and pannier and a few other waterproof bags and camping gear.
Consider replacing the panniers with a dry bag attached to the top of the rack.
How do I start planning a route?
Firstly decide how far you'd like to ride, then have a think and see if there's anywhere in particular you might like to go or in what direction - Dark Peak, Light Peak, Edale way, Hayfield direction, etc. Having formulated a basic idea, break out a copy of OS OL1 and join the dots between your start point and your destination.
Should I camp or hostel so my first trip is easier?
Camping will give you absolute freedom, accommodation is stress :wink:
Could I get the train instead with all my gear?
Instead of what?

Plenty of Peak local knowledge here Mick, if you wanted a route I'm sure someone would oblige.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I'm sure someone who knows the area could give specific advice on a route but a few things to consider...

Are you happy camping? Particularly in winter with a very long night.

How far do you feel you'll be able to go and what sort of terrain are you willing to tackle with a loaded bike?

Are you OK with short daylight and long dark cold night? Have you cycled off road in the dark? I find it incredibly disorientating even though I don't mind it.

Personally I'd suggest rather than thinking of a trip as such for a first shot at it just choose some where reasonably local to you that you know you'll be OK camping, even if only a few miles and do that so you can just check out how you manage with the gear on the bike and the practicalities of camping off a bike, plus cycling with a loaded bike. That way of it goes wrong for whatever reason you can always bail on it. However it goes you will have learnt some lessons for next time and be more confident that you and your gear can do it.

I'd say under estimate what you can so initially rather than put yourself off.
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

Search this forum for the peak 200 route.Don't know how far from the peak you are but It circumnavigates the Peak District. Cycle to it and pick a direction. Loads of spots on it to bivi
Derwent valley/Dams are a good place for a first wild camp/Bivi with a tap behind fairholmes cafe if getting water is a worry (it was for me at first!)
Karl

Post by Karl »

I live on the edge of the peaks and know the area well. Depending when at Christmas I'd happily join you on a bivy. Or if you let me know where about your based/wanting to head I can plan something out if that helps.

Try to take the bear essentials and keep luxuries to the mininmum. It means the luxuries will be extra special and the riding will be more enjoyable....win win :-bd
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Are you happy with night riding and navigation? If not, it's going to be a long night for you (5pm until 7am or so).

If you can, plan a shorter route that involves maybe a pub stop or something. Will mean less stuff (stove, pot etc) to carry if you can plan it in your route.

Whether this is good advice or not, after a nights sleep, unless in a bothy, I pack up all my things, ride for half an hour to an hour and then have breakfast once warmed up. Maybe it's my impatience to get going or a better way of waking up for myself..?

Also, enjoy it. If the weather isn't right for you, then you don't have to go out
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

When you're on tour trip, remember it's all in the head! You can choose whether you're enjoying it or not. :ugeek:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Happy to suggest some places to head for.

Where outside the peak are you starting from?
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Try to take the bear essentials
Bl00dy Nora - the Peak sounds more hazardous these days :wink:
Camp
Go with the flow
Don't overthink it
It's meant to be liberating