Elan Valley 'improvements'.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Elan Valley 'improvements'.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I have it on very good authority that the Elan Valley Trust have a considerable amount of money to spend on improving the RoW that exist. They'd like to know if people have any specific trails or sections that they'd like to see improved ... draining the Monks Trod anyone? Opening up ALL RoW to cycles?

Any comments, ideas or whatever left here will be passed on to the trust. My only word of caution would be - careful what you wish for :wink:

Thank you.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Re: Elan Valley 'improvements'.

Post by RIP »

"improvements", perhaps one of the most controversial words in BP? (along with "flour-based teatime confectionery", "hot beverage", "fun"...). For no particular reason the words "Rushup Edge" popped into my head... CWYWF indeed ;-)

Still two days to go before "Firework Night", and I reckon you've well and truly lit a blue touch-paper :-).

"R"
Last edited by RIP on Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Is there any risk of RoW getting use from motorised vehicles too? (legally)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Still two days to go before "Firework Night", and I reckon you've well and truly lit a blue touch-paper
That's why I said be careful what you wish for :wink: Most of the sections I can think of would be much improved by drainage rather than smoothing out as they're fairly smooth to begin with.
Is there any risk of RoW getting use from motorised vehicles too?
Nothing that isn't already. However, those who shout the loudest are usually the ones who get heard. In this case and unless cyclists actually bother to speak up, that's likely to be horse riders and we all know that what makes a good track for a horse won't always prove to be as good from our perspective.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Only done a couple of days' riding in that area so don't know it too well. These suggestions are from looking at the map.

Upgrade the footpath along the west side of Carreg Du reservoir between Penbont House and the chapel to BW status or provide a similar track.
Connect Lluest Cwm Bach bothy to the BW in Cwm Garw to the south.
What's with the BW to the south of Claerwen reservoir on Esgair Garthen? It just stops in the middle of a slope. Presumably the marked track is passable?
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

whitestone wrote: Upgrade the footpath along the west side of Carreg Du reservoir between Penbont House and the chapel to BW status or provide a similar track.
Connect Lluest Cwm Bach bothy to the BW in Cwm Garw to the south.
Quite like the Garreg-ddu suggestion but theres a perfectly decent cycle path a couple of hundred metres away on the other side of the reservoir so I can't see that being a priority.

The sheep track to the bothy is fine, slightly damp in places but it keeps the Neds away from the place. It's possible to get there with dry feet though. Maybe a few more flagstones outside the bothy would be better.

Draining Monks trod would be a great idea.

Matt's favourite, Afon Arban.

A footbridge over the stream crossing on the way to Claerddu. SN 805 677
Mike

Post by Mike »

Nope....Don't touch em they are old trails that in my eyes should stay as they are, they make for interesting riding and a variety of mixed terrain. If they are to knarly to ride because of a few rocks or some boggy crap then find another trail
Sounds harsh but having seen what they have done to some the trails in the peaks for me it's a big NO totally ruined some great trails there!
littlegirlbunny

Post by littlegirlbunny »

Please gawd don't let them 'improve' that fabulous slabby byway drop to Rhayader OMG it would be tragic :shock:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Last time I was dropping down the Golf Links trail (the slabby one), it had been "improved"...it should be washed out again soon enough though. That was back in Jan. or Feb. this year...might already be back to it's naturally chunky state.

+1 for a footbridge though over that stream on the way to Claerddu. I'd be just as happy if the large rocks were removed from the main crossing so one could belt down the hill and carve across without fear of smashing a wheel.

Greetz

S.
psling

Post by psling »

Tough one. My initial thoughts are things like waymarker posts on Monks Trod, a few places where bridges would make things a bit more comfortable, but then I'm thinking Why would you want to sanitise an area where the main attraction is it's wilderness feel. The challenge of the Monks Trod is it's challenge, I've been getting my feet wet through 'that ford' for more years than I can remember and along the track lower than the river to cross an even wider ford... why stop now!
Keep the improvements to maintaining access for all along the main path to the visitor centre and the main dams, leave the wilder ROW above and around the reservoirs as they are. Mind you, having said that, a better defined trail from Trallym/Abergwesyn to the southern end of Caban Coch Reservoir would be nice!
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Like Mike I'd say generally leave stuff as it is.
Generally if something is only rideable for a few weeks of the year (thinking Bugeilyn, Monks Trod) it makes them that bit more special when you do get the chance to ride them.

Maybe a bit of work on the BOAT up to Claernwen that's on the tcw. It's always poor.

Please don't make it any easier to get to Lluest Cwm Bach, it'll just turn into another Nant Rhys where it's a rave every other week. Could do with partitioning though to make it warmer.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Single biggest impact to the trails in this area is motorcross bikes, or 4x4. The latter group tend to stick to properly designated tracks, but they still have an adverse impact on the areas they do use: rutting > water flow > erosion > sedimentation/ permanent water logging.

The Moto-x lot just ride where they please and rip it up for everyone else, causing all the issues above. Then just move the line over a few metres and start again.

Any improvement made to trails off those directly connected to the visitor centre and reservoir trails will just get undone through adverse use in my opinion.
Matt

Post by Matt »

A sea life centre would be nice :-bd
psling

Post by psling »

Ian wrote:Single biggest impact to the trails in this area is motorcross bikes, or 4x4. The latter group tend to stick to properly designated tracks, but they still have an adverse impact on the areas they do use: rutting > water flow > erosion > sedimentation/ permanent water logging.

The Moto-x lot just ride where they please and rip it up for everyone else, causing all the issues above. Then just move the line over a few metres and start again.
Agree with you up to a point. I was driving most of the UCRs/RUPPS (as they were before CROW) in that area over 30 years ago and, whilst I agree with your comment about the motorbikes which have ripped parts of the area along the Monks Trod to bits, the sum total of erosion isn't as bad as many might expect over all those years. Having said that, one of the reasons I gave up green laning / trail riding and started riding mtbs was because of the way 4-wheel drives were becoming so readily available and off road driving was becoming so accessible that it's affect on the countryside disturbed me!
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Chew wrote:
Please don't make it any easier to get to Lluest Cwm Bach. Could do with partitioning though to make it warmer.
maybe an insulated ceiling to stop all the heat from the stove going up into the roof
I know we didn't seem to get much warmth from the bag of coal we burnt
2924 miles per Gallon
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Dont know if it counts ie wrong side of A44 but the last sections of broken tarmac down to Sweet Lamb should be torn up and replaced with hardpack.
Seem to remember that was the worst bit of BS to Newport ride.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.