off topic: anyone here into trail running?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

HaYWiRe

off topic: anyone here into trail running?

Post by HaYWiRe »

Definitely the wrong forum but probably the best attitudes of any outdoor group ive met, does anyone here trail run? Fell run? Whatever name is given to it these days.

Ive been off the bike alot lately due to the logistics of it all, moving between mine and my partners place every couple days and don't usually have access to my bike on my days off. I still get "the itch" to get out there and honestly not that picky how, I saw the bike as the means, not the end.

Looking to get into something new for the days I cant ride, hiking is getting a little to...slow for my liking so want to turn up the pace a little, any advice?

I used to run track (and rooftop :lol: ) before diagnosis but haven't run in years, thinking it might be good to cross-train between sports.

Anyone else do this? Or all just die-hard cyclists for life :lol:
whitestone

Re: off topic: anyone here into trail running?

Post by whitestone »

I used to fell run (and I think IanFitz still does) but stopped a few years ago when my hip began playing up.

I think it's really good for strengthening the secondary muscles groups that don't get the same kind of workout when sat on a bike.

Just go out, when you feel like running, run. When it's a bit much walk again. Over time the proportion of running to walking will increase.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

whitestone wrote:I used to fell run (and I think IanFitz still does) but stopped a few years ago when my hip began playing up.

I think it's really good for strengthening the secondary muscles groups that don't get the same kind of workout when sat on a bike.

Just go out, when you feel like running, run. When it's a bit much walk again. Over time the proportion of running to walking will increase.

Like Bob I used to do a lot. Before getting back into bikes it was my thing. I only really do short runs with the kids these days, but keep intending to do more.

Agree with what bob says but would add that if you have proper hills where you live then walk up them. Even in races the numbers of people running all of the climbs are small. Just the elite really, so don't beat yourself up if (when!) you need to walk.

And yes it's great training for hike-a-bike.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

I do I guess. I used to fell run (but I'm the wrong shape and weight for it really) when I was climbing to keep fit and lighter weight. Used to enjoy mountain marathon events - LAMM was my favourite. Not good enough now.
I now run locally in the woods with a biking mate and solo and sometimes in the hills locally but it's a good cross trainer and just good to get out. We night run and end in the pub - I just use a cheap Chinese AA powered head torch for that.
I run too when away with work and like to get lost having tried to memorise a route from Google Maps/Earth.... saves the tedium of hotel gyms and crap but lucky enough to run in Norway and Denmark so there's loads of ideas for good runs from Strava (local knowledge base if you like).
Need to loose some weight/keep CV fitness and it helps with that, as well as calmness/mental health!
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
Ben98

Post by Ben98 »

I fell run nowhere near as much as I should, but I love it. I find it makes hike a bike a lot more tolerable and faster. Agree with IanFitz about running up hills, my best results have come from walking faster up hills than others could run purely because it's so much more efficient on steep gradients and you can hit the top and run without needing a rest.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Me, definitely a jack of all sports, run bike, climb, kayak are the main ones, will try anything above ground!

Used to adventure race and run ultras and trails lots. More chilled, and older, happy to just get out and explore now its all good
Sarah
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

I'm trying to be open to more sports, id like to consider myself more an outdoorsman rather than just a cyclist, hiker, ect.

After all, I got into bikepacking before cycling, sounds odd but I'm serious!
I loved hiking and exploring, cooking and sleeping outside. Then one day I though doing it by bike would be faster and easier on the shoulders (I then had to actually learn how to ride a bike for starters :lol: I wasn't an outdoorsy kid) then after a while, I realised bikes were fun even without the bags and camping, as such I got into road cycling.

I'm alright with bushcraft and survival skills, learning from family in the military mainly. Id like to take up climbing, had a taste of it but the cost and kit is a bit limiting currently. Only recently learn how to swim to overcome a big fear, ironically more confident "wild swimming" than in the pool.

Hoping running might round out my outdoor skills and improve fitness further, its a little less kit intensive than some sports too.

All I really need to work on next is navigation skills, thing is, I quite enjoy being lost....
cyclingtiger

Post by cyclingtiger »

Another runner here. Fell and trail running for preference but I do some road running close to home. I find it's kind of handy because it's less kit intensive than running so if you're having a busy day then half an hour running can be as physically rewarding as two hours on the bike.

Also good if the weather is a bit mince because you don't end up with a bike that needs cleaning and oiling afterwards as well as wet shoe covers and jacket etc. Just a bit of running kit for the tub and stuff the shoes with paper. Again if you're short on time, that's a bit of a bonus.

Like cycling, you also get that persistence of motion thing that's just makes you feel really free. Sometimes even more so as another layer of routes and exploring options opens up to you. Good news for bikepackers is that all that ultralight kit you've bought transfers over really well if you happen to want to get into multi-day running.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Fell runner here - it's what I do to take my mind off riding bikes, or when I want a break for bikes. Started out as another thing to do when it was too wet to go climbing.

As Ian said - don't worry about running up everything, a lot of people will be walking.

Go look at the FRA website, see if there is a race near you, pay a few quid, have fun, see if you like it. The social aspect (pub) is one of the things that keeps me fell running, and racing, and is the reason I chose the club I did over t'other one in the valley.
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

I do a wee bit of running, although I find it a bit painful in the legs - I think this is partly because I have too much cycling muscle flapping about when I run.

I did the Pentland Skyline hill run the other week and am meant to be doing the Scottish Islands Peaks Race in May next year which involves about 100km of hill running, so I need to do plenty of training through this winter.
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

How long did the skyline run take you? Just curious as found a height/heart rate/ time graph a while back!

There's a slightly cheesy article in the current 'Scotland Outdoors' about fastpacking where the writer runs, bivvies and runs back again. Just with a rucsac apparently! (and a photographer ofc)
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Seems the lack of kit appeals to us all then. lets face it, no matter how light or minimal we ride it can still be alot of kit to deal with. More of an issue if time is short.

The "fastpacking" idea I like, though its probably another sales term its still all the ideals bikepacking has of moving fast, light and simply. Though running with a rucksack ain't easy at times. Keeping weight low is one thing, but keeping it stable and solid when sprinting? :lol:

I think we all feel the need for a break from one sport at times, we go back to it more excited later. Keeps things fresh and interesting :-bd
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

HaYWiRe wrote:Seems the lack of kit appeals to us all then. lets face it, no matter how light or minimal we ride it can still be alot of kit to deal with. More of an issue if time is short.

The "fastpacking" idea I like, though its probably another sales term its still all the ideals bikepacking has of moving fast, light and simply. Though running with a rucksack ain't easy at times. Keeping weight low is one thing, but keeping it stable and solid when sprinting? :lol:

I think we all feel the need for a break from one sport at times, we go back to it more excited later. Keeps things fresh and interesting :-bd
It's the current issue or I'd be able to link to it... it's got a few other marketing names - how does Runteering strike you? :D The runner who wrote the article (Jenny Tough) seemed to fit it all into a fairly wee backpack, but I did notice they had coffee out a jetboil and they don't pack all that tiny! Oh and it was a tent that was packed. Hmm. :wink:
HaYWiRe

Post by HaYWiRe »

Isn't that because when runners go camping they tend to subscribe to the "mountain marathon" way of packing?

I.e. Jetboil, most expencive terra nova laser tent on market, no sleeping bag, tiny ccf matt and sleep in clothes?

Either way it needs a better name, fastpacking just sounds like what I do in the morning when it looks like bad weathers coming :lol:
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

Yorlin wrote:How long did the skyline run take you? Just curious as found a height/heart rate/ time graph a while back!
3:21
jameso

Post by jameso »

Wanted to, used to run in the woods to get fit for hiking/climbing trips but had persistent ITB issues that made it no fun a lot of the time, interrupted my cycling also. Same issue when walking downhill with a full pack. Was never sure whether I liked it enough to figure out a good fix for the ITB pain but I do sign up to the simple feeling of fast 'n' light in the hills. Saw a fell runner bound past me down a hill in Snowdonia once during a solo on-foot bivi trip and was amazed, like watching a really good, smooth downhiller.

Any ITB fix tips / how-to links? Should give it another go really, always intended it to be the winter HI fix thing. And the ITB thing is my reason for not having much interest in races involving HAB, so remove that excuse and :-bd
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

@jameso - I run more road than off road, but when I started getting more serious about it (training for ½ marathons) I got ITB issues in one leg. Was OK when running, then next few days it felt like someone trying to saw through my knee. Assuming you don't have a underlying medical issue, it could be as simple as increasing the flexibility a bit.

The best stretch I found was to sit on the ground, legs out in front. Bend one leg and place the heel so it's touching the outside of the other knee. Then hook your arm over the bent knee and pull it towards your chest. You'll feel the stretch in your arse/hip more than the knee, but it worked really well for me. The only times I've had issues since is when I've been lazy about stretching after a run. There's other way of stretching it but I found this one the simplest. Hope that helps!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

When I was training for my Bob Graham Round I got ITBS, basically by increasing my weekly mileage too quickly. My right thigh just above the knee was about 50% bigger than the left one. About six weeks of no running, then running on the canal bank to avoid hills, slowly introducing hills as pain or lack of allowed.

Go and see a sports physio, you may have underlying skeletal problems (equally you may not) and you'll get specific exercises/stretches for you to do.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
jameso

Post by jameso »

^ thanks, and apologies for the unintended hijack. Will take it as a nod to check some stretches rather than discuss running negatives any further : )
Yorlin

Post by Yorlin »

NewRetroTom wrote:
Yorlin wrote:How long did the skyline run take you? Just curious as found a height/heart rate/ time graph a while back!
3:21
Ah thanks! Trying to get back into the running about - and used the graph from http://chrisupson.blogspot.co.uk/2005/1 ... yline.html for a Open University presentation last month http://chrisupson.blogspot.co.uk/2005/1 ... yline.html (2005 run report)

Jameso I wouldn't worry about it, and it's good to know useful stretches!