Wtd: Hooped Bivi Bag

Buy, sell, swap.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Thisisnotaspoon

Wtd: Hooped Bivi Bag

Post by Thisisnotaspoon »

Thinking of upgrading from my ex-army bag to something with a hoop and insect mesh. Something along the lines of the O.R. Helium but more like Alpkit Hunka budget?
Borderer

Re: Wtd: Hooped Bivi Bag

Post by Borderer »

I don't have one for sale, but these pretty much fit your bill - they are not hooped (which would add to the weight) but have a loop to allow you to attach a string to the mesh to keep it pulled off your face. We use ours attached to the handlebars once the bike is laid on its side. They weigh half what a Hunka does and pack up much much smaller.

http://borahgear.com/sidebivy.html
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

... but bear in mind the Borah isn't waterproof.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Thisisnotaspoon

Cheers for the tip.

I think I've been spoilt by the army bag, once woke up after a storm with my lower half in a deep puddle but inside the bag was still bone dry. The idea of a 'morning dew' proof bag worries me a bit!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Thisisnotaspoon wrote:Cheers for the tip.

I think I've been spoilt by the army bag, once woke up after a storm with my lower half in a deep puddle but inside the bag was still bone dry. The idea of a 'morning dew' proof bag worries me a bit!
The Borah Gear bivvies (well the lightweight ones) are more anti-bug and condensation bivvies than fully weatherproof. They'd be hard pressed to be the latter given that the panel over the head is no-see-um netting. For this country they really need to be used as part of a "system" along with a tarp - the tarp keeps the heavy, direct, precipitation away while the bivy bag deals with any spray/splashes, wind and the above mentioned bugs.

Standalone bivy bags are fine until you have to enter/exit them in a heavy downpour. Getting dressed/undressed is also a challenge in such conditions, age doesn't help in this regard!

It all depends on your usage, budget, etc.

Edit: There's a review of a budget (Alpkit) tarp/bivy combo here - http://www.bikepacking.com/gear/alpkit- ... -5-review/
Last edited by whitestone on Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

My experience of the O.R. Helium - as long as its windy its OK but as soon as its only a light breeze, the condensation takes over. Yes its light, yes its very compact, yes it works, but its a long way from perfect in Welsh "real world" conditions.
Thisisnotaspoon

Yea, that's pretty much how I use the army bag, and the tarp came from decathlon.

I've got that setup or a Gelert Solo which is little more than a bivi in size (my bag gets damp where my feet touch the end). So I was really looking for an option somewhere in between, a waterproof bag with hood/hoop that keeps insects and slugs out, to use under a tarp, but able to survive a rainy night if it had to.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

So I was really looking for an option somewhere in between, a waterproof bag with hood/hoop that keeps insects and slugs out, to use under a tarp, but able to survive a rainy night if it had to.
Strangely there's not that much available that isn't overly heavy, bulky or expensive. Rab Sierra or Ascent would work well but neither are hooped (you can tie the head end up to provide additional space) and both are heavy compared to others but not as heavy as most hooped bags. Neither are available new bit there should be some SH out there at reasonable money. Borah Gear Snowyside would also be worth considering.
May the bridges you burn light your way
spindicator

Post by spindicator »

Why not get someone to modify the army bag with a mesh and a hoop with carbon poles? Or maybe one of the Dutch hooped army bivvies?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have a RAB Ascent and it does what you require though it is neither hooped nor cheap. The former can be partly overcome by tieing the open end up under a branch or to a tarp, though I've never done so personally. I don't think the lack of a hoop has ever been a problem for me. The cost issue can only really be resolved by keeping an eye on the 2nd hand market - or by spending the money.