5) Are there penguins? YES/NO

6) Are all deckchairs absent of germanic body drying implements YES/NO

Classification: All answers "YES" = slightly inclement, otherwise "SCORCHIO"
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Lump

Re: Braunton 150 2017

Post by Lump »

Richard G wrote:
sean_iow wrote:I'm more concerned about the weather forecast for Friday, hopefully it will change by the time Friday comes round.
Yeah, it's really not looking good. After last year I'm nervous of anything that makes it look like we're going to be up against it weather wise. =/
Agreed, and last year we had good dry trails leading us out for the first day. Its still quite wet out on the ground. so going to play this year alot more cautious I think.
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

I'm 50miles south and it's as dry here for this time of year as I can remember it.

Not sure which forecast everyone is getting morose about.

I'm racing enduro in hopcott woods by minehead, I think the route passes by, I'll wave if I see anyone loaded up.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Have arrived. Just carb loading by way of pizza. ;)
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Phew. That's quite a train ride to get to Braunton. Finally Lobb'd up and happy to be finished moving for the day. Nice weather this evening.

Greetz

S.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Just popped up to the field. Too dark to reality see if anyone is around.
Javi

Post by Javi »

Just arrived and hunting pizza probably next to the cafe place
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Pizza at Stoned is good. Couple of us at George pub.
Javi

Post by Javi »

Just ordered at the surf&turf. I'll find you at the pub later if you are still there.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Yeah, will be here for a while.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

We're at a table just as you walk into the bar on the right hand side.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I was back at 5:58 so 20:28, Liam G first (by a long way I think) Javi isn't so far back. Sure I saw his lights when I was at croyde.

Good route, weather good to start then a bit weathery over night. 10-1 some heavy bands of rain and a brisk westerly.

Off for beer and a sleep I think.
Javi

Post by Javi »

Well done Liam and Ian! Back at 7:15am so you saw other lights. That's 21h 45min.
It was cold, wet and windy after Porloc. Route bone dry except at the end. The bike park thing 32km to the end didn't enjoy, very slippery. Thanks Ben for organizing this event and hope everyone arrives safely.
Lump

Post by Lump »

Another DNF bailed at Porlock after getting really caught out going over the top from Minehead. Up till then really enjoyed it :)
pkht

Post by pkht »

I had to bail at Porlock and head back along the road.

Totally useless front brake and spongey back one. After some very sketchy descents into Porlock thought it wise to call it a day. Seems you need brakes in Exmoor!

Great route up and till then though. Was really enjoying it.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I finished at 11:48 at the same time as fellow singlespeeder Rob McIntyre so that's 26 hours 18 minutes which I'm really pleased with :grin: Great countryside for riding with some great views, well in the daylight. Also got to meet a few off here who were all really friendly :-bd
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Sadly my riding buddy bailed on the second day after injuring his wrist. I had to take it easy too as all my messing around on the first day (I was doing repeats on some of the hills) had strained some of the ligaments behind my right knee.

Nearly ending up DNFing again though thanks to that crazy weather on the moors before Porlock. When it hits there, it REALLY hits.

I don't think I'd ride it again unless I could avoid heavy wind / rain. I'd do it solo next time and I think to enjoy it properly I'd want to really go at it without worrying about the weather.

More importantly, great to meet some of you for the first time, and good to get to know some of you a bit better. Was nice to be able to flit back and forth amongst groups on the first day. Only saw two people on day two though (aside from right at the start). :-bd
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

DNF again *sigh*. Lost my dinner in Minehead on Friday night...next day hucked another 3 times...by this stage I was massively behind my schedule with next to zero energy. Trail angel gave me tea and hot cross bun on Sunday morning at Lyn Field campground...brought me back around. Set off with aim to finish, but after first hill lost breakfast on the side of the trail. Dropped down to Lynmouth and called it quits. 3 cups of tea and some chips brought me back from the edge, but they came back up too on the first hill out of Ludlow riding home. Suspect dehydration (I was borderline cramping most of Friday), sunstroke (it was cloudy, but I'm pink) and some sort of bacteria in my water bottles (drinking from them almost certainly makes me huck within 5 minutes).

Well done to all the finishers. Tough route.

Greetz

S.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

That sucks. I'm always a bit paranoid about the bacteria thing so I tend to sterilise my bottles / camelbak bag fairly regularly. Thankfully I've got a reasonably tough constitution though.

Will you try again?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

That's tough luck Scott but if you can't keep the calories in you there's nothing you can do about it. You can't turn the pedals on will power alone but you gave it all trying. Proper respect for travelling down with just your bike and race kit.

Sean
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

May do, RG. It'll be 30t up front +40t on the back and bouncy forks if I do. 32/36 was too big for me with the lack of training I put in. Can't feel my left 4th and 5th finger tips. Love the RDO's, but they're not for that course.

Greetz

S.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Anyone know if the fatbike riding guy finished? Duncan was one of two riders on fatbikes, and he scratched on the second day. Don't know if the other guy made it... I did get his name but I can't recall it.

Can't seem to find him on my strava flybys so it may be that he either wasn't recording or hasn't uploaded yet.

Edit - Ahh, found him. He got screwed by the weather near Porlock too: https://www.strava.com/activities/943029509
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Scattamah wrote:May do, RG. It'll be 30t up front +40t on the back and bouncy forks if I do. 32/36 was too big for me with the lack of training I put in. Can't feel my left 4th and 5th finger tips. Love the RDO's, but they're not for that course.

Greetz

S.
I had wondered before the start if I was over biked but the spearfish with 30x 10-42 was perfect.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

@Ian - I kept thinking of you on the Spearfish bashing down some of those descents...I bet it was a world away from the hammering I was taking.

Greetz

S.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Scattamah wrote:@Ian - I kept thinking of you on the Spearfish bashing down some of those descents...I bet it was a world away from the hammering I was taking.

Greetz

S.
I was enjoying the majority of them TBH. Where was that woodland singletrack? That was fantastic!

The bike I cover most miles on is not so different from yours (forks included!) and I'm familiar with the beasting it can give out on that sort of ground.