WRT2017 LHC dating agency

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: WRT2017 LHC dating agency

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If anyone is considering 'going it alone' or forming a 'splinter' group and would like me to take a look at their route ideas or whatever, just send me an email. Happy to help but don't go thinking I'll give you an entire route :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
MarkW

Post by MarkW »

Thanks Stu. Very kind of you. I have my first day planned out nicely. Day 2 I'm working on at the moment. What I will probably need help with is nice bivvy spots along my route. I'd rather not 'go it alone' I do prefer the company but im looking forward to planning my own route and doing some extra miles
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

Have already mentioned to Reg, I'd be happy doing longer distance on the ride (my problem is navigation and camp setup rather than pedaling!) but will be glad to tag along with either group as long as we know roughly where we're going! :D
MarkW

Post by MarkW »

Looks like we'll have an longer route and shorter route same as last year. Ive had a PM too. The more the merrier. I don't mind planning the longer route if anyone wants to join me.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Got 3 routes now, variations in same area. Won't elaborate details yet because a/ there's plenty of time, b/ they'll change again, c/ allow Hearts to settle into place before wasting anyone's time (including mine :smile:).

Having said that, I now have single gpx files for each. Obv I'd like some commitment to "my" group before divulging my efforts :wink:.
A/ Day 1: 25 miles, 3631' climb; Day 2: 44 miles, 3600' climb; Day 3: 18 miles, 2300' climb. Shops all days.
B/ Day 1: 20 miles, 2300' climb; Day 2: 37 miles, 3800' climb: Day 3: 18 miles, 2300' climb. Shops all days.
C/ Day 1: 20 miles, 2300' climb; Day 2: 37 miles, 3800' climb: Day 3: 11 miles, 1164' climb (no shops Sunday).

bikehike's calculations can hardly be accurate, but comparison with last year's WRT-LHC(B):
Day 1: 3228' & 33 miles; Day 2: 2000' & 25 miles, Day 3: 2000' & 16 miles.
It was reasonably hard work, but didn't seem particularly knackering & had several cafes and pubs.

Whoever ends up in "my" group, we'd have the ability to switch the route as we went along depending on weather/fitness, so fear not.

R
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Brothersmith

Post by Brothersmith »

Reg, if there is room for one more I wouldn't mind tagging along. I normally go it alone but fancy being sociable this year
crewlie

Post by crewlie »

I'd loved to have joined you on this, but I've been tasked with introducing my daughter to the delights of bikepacking in Wales, partly due to her pledging on Joining the Dots. So I'll have my own little group of three to guide to somewhere that needs to be "not too far, not too hilly, and not too wet."...shouldn't be too difficult :???:
siboy

Post by siboy »

Please Reg can I come too? I'm a WRT newbie and would love some company!

Thanks
Si
MarkW

Post by MarkW »

I've put together a draft for a slightly longer route. So far it's maybe 3-4 of us looking to ride a longer route.

My draft is 135 miles(215km) long, with 16700ft (5100m) of ascent.
Compared with the 'A group' last year it's an extra 35 miles and 3000ft of ascent.
There's a couple of bail out options, pubs and shops and bothys on route.
If anyone else wants to join in, feel free.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Hi peeps, having conversed with Stu, this might be a good point to close my desk at the dating agency, at least for the moment, since we have about 12-14 people now. Obviously the thread can carry on, other desks are already open or will no doubt be opened; some might offer short-and-sweet dates, others might provide long clandestine drawn-out ones with added complications and scary in-laws like mine [ alright, that's enough dating agency references - ED ].

Still happy to help anyone with route planning or whatever. "My" route has evolved again, Sat+Mon are fairly short but pretty remote, and Sun is reasonably high mileage (by my standards!) but loads of variety.

I think MarkC, MarkW, AlexGold, Simon72, and possibly Stevemorg were also interested in the alternative longer date? Although it'd be good to have an "elder statesman" such as Steve with our smell-the-roses group(s) - up to you mate.

So I think we have, shout if wrong: Scott, Artie, Macinblack, technomail, Sarah, gazaddy, DrNick, BigDummySteve, BrotherSmith, Siboy, Pickers, and Reg. May end up in 2 groups on same route but with regular meet-ups.

"Reg"

Yeah why not, a couple of bivi teasers to build up the anticipation I reckon, no hints please:

Last edited by RIP on Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Ooo....I know both those spots,could be a tad frosty at the first one if this
Morning is anything to go by :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

:wink: . Yep, have got my furry knickers at the ready. Actually I thought an invigorating dawn skinny dip might be in order.....

RIP

Post by RIP »

Forgot Barney on the list too, sorry chap you're on now..

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Fat tyre kicker wrote:Ooo....I know both those spots,could be a tad frosty at the first one if this
Morning is anything to go by :-bd
Good reason to bring extra malt :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

RIP
I'm not convinced my fitness will be up to the rest of you but I do like the idea of remote sites - what sort of mileage are you looking at on day 2?
Cheers
Steve
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Stevemorg wrote:RIP
I'm not convinced my fitness will be up to the rest of you
Cheers
Steve
Us steve's must think alike! Perhaps we can form a splinter group? Sedentary old Steve's or SOS for short. Seriously though my fitness is suspect as well, family stuff often gets in the way despite best intentions , I'm often guilty of mistaking enthusiasm for ability but still enjoy myself.
If all else fails we can just wail 'just leave us' and retire to the nearest pub.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

That sounds like a plan!
bearlymoving

Post by bearlymoving »

Feck, I've been out riding and missed all this.

It looks like you're full Reg, but I might be able to keep up with your group Mark. Certainly for the first couple of days...

Failing that, I'll get the maps out.
Artie Fufkin

Post by Artie Fufkin »

Graham,
Be good to catch up with you again. I'm thinking of tagging along with Mark, so we could keep up the tail end duties!!
Managed to get the bike sorted now, so all should be well.
Adam.
bearlymoving

Post by bearlymoving »

Hey there Mr Fufkin, would be good to catch up. Sounds like a plan. :-bd

Which canal did you throw the hub into, in the end? ;-)
Artie Fufkin

Post by Artie Fufkin »

The Grand EBay Canal, mate! Got my old Stooge up and running.
Yeah, it does sound like a plan, see you there.
Adam.
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

RIP wrote: I think MarkC, MarkW, AlexGold, Simon72, and possibly Stevemorg were also interested in the alternative longer date?
Hi Reg, yep I'm currently going with the ambitious option and aiming at the longer route!

PS: don't look at the long range weather forecast for the WRT weekend :???:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Hah, I only pop out from the changing room for 10 minutes and other managers are sneaking in and poaching my players, <sniff> :wink: (yes I've swapped to a football analogy now, despite knowing the square root of bugr all about it).

My 2nd day has an infinite number of bail options since it more or less comes back to where it started (3 days = figure 8, classic expedition ploy) - at the shortest extreme you could simply wake up and half an hour later be in the pub waiting for the rest of us to arrive 9 hours later :smile:. Hmm.. come to think of it....

Even at the "far end" of day 2 at lunchtime there's a considerably shorter second half (footie again :grin:) return option, which there's a fair likelihood we'll take anyway 'cos we'll be too full of ice-cream. As ever, all these things are up for grabs on the day, and all part of the freewheeling fun. There's at least 3 cafe stops on day 2 as well.

Anyroadup, SteveM I remember having a lovely chat with you at Arthog last year so you obviously made it that far after a first day that was twice as long as my one this year :-bd.

a/ obviously anybody can do what they like :-bd, but b/ I'd quite like a Welsh(wo)man in my lot to translate all the insults that get hurled at us Saesnegs :lol:

R

Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

RIP - sounds good - I'm in
RIP

Post by RIP »

:-bd PM me yer email addr and I'll send you the gpx. Hopefully I won't have oversold it or I'll look a bit silly now :wink: