WRT2017 LHC dating agency

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

WRT2017 LHC dating agency

Post by RIP »

Welcome to WRT 2017 “Lonely Hearts Club” thread - decided it’s not my place to meddle with tried and tested naming traditions.

The date? Two-wheeled tramps wandering wild Wales and you’re most welcome.
How long? Saturday-Monday (mid-PM?).
Stuff? Almost any bike, almost any kit; but “lighter” gets you to the cake quicker.
Options? Michael Caine, Italian Job: “the only way to get through it is we all work together as a team. And that means you do everything I say”.
Distance? Not as far as Ian.
Pace? Social. Plenty of view/cafe/pub/ice-cream/shop/red-kite stops.
Rain? You’re in Wales.
Water supplies? See above.
Cake? More than you can possibly visualise.
Remote? Some bits very, some not.
Technical? Some bits quite (“trail centre red”?), most not.
Will I get lost? Temporarily displaced at times.
What will I get out of it? Fame, riches, and an obscure pot plant. Who can tell.
Map? Improbably all on OS 1:50k #135. The sensual pleasure of wrestling with a wet torn map in the dark is highly underrated in my view.
GPX file? Hmm. Whatever one of those is. I’ll do my best.
Phone signal? Doubt it. Hope not.
Philosophy? Take experiences, leave goodwill? Any mumbo-jumbo will do.
Ride problems? New mates will obviously do utmost to help. But have a helicopter at your disposal, or failing that some basic bike and body repair skills, and ability to navigate back to civilisation alone.

I’ll be at the Star on Friday night; and by invoking BBB Rule 46b-2/i(3) (“the said bikepacker, may, insofaras they be adjacent, claim two months BAM, during the period of said undertaking, contingent upon juxtaposed nights, whereby the 1st inst be succedent, undivided, to the 30th or 31st inst”), I shall spend Mon night bivvied near Caersws railway station.

Am away 8 – 16th April so may not respond during that time.

Please stick your moniker down here, and also please PM me your email address and mobile number, so I can tell you the top-secret stuff about the cake. Preferences, places, ideas welcome but bear in mind Michael Caine’s quote :smile:. Only joking, it'll be a good laugh, and there's much fun to be had :-bd.

See you at the cake-stand!

“Reg”
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Artie Fufkin

Re: WRT2017 LHC dating agency

Post by Artie Fufkin »

Can I be the first member of said club, hopefully followed by plenty more misguided, can't be arsed to plan a route, Billy no mates unwashed of the cycling world.
Looking forward to it immensely and if you need any help or assistance give us a shout.
Drop us a PM if you need to, and perhaps my only request would be...... The Golden Sands Chip Oil..... that I have heard so much about and sadly missed last year.
Speak to you soon, Reg, and thanks for rising to the occasion!
Adam.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

After comms with Reg yesterday, I can say without doubt that anyone signing up will have a good time. You'll see some lovely bits of Wales, sample some classic spots amongst Bear Bones land and eat cake ... wish I was going myself.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Thank you for your support and encouragement Stu. Yes, I think it'll be world-class scenery.

Just a little more info about the terrain so you can see if it's for you, & then I'll leave it with you:
Sat: Approx 30 miles, approx 3800' climbs. 30% quiet lanes, 5% slightly technical downhill, 65% forest/moorland tracks. Long gentle climb, superb views, amusing long downhill, quiet lanes, steepish uphill to waterside bivi spot. Cafes/shops at half way (eve meal supplies etc).
Sun: Approx 43 miles, 3000’ climbs. 50% quiet lanes, 45% tracks, 5% technical trails. Remote moors to elevenses cafe stop, bit of technical action if desired, 10 miles of quiet lanes to lunch shops/cafes/ice-cream & eve meal pickup, 10 miles lanes, steep uphill, pub with proper beer, across flat moors to very remote bivi spot. Optional final 500’ / 1 mile climb to one of Stu's favouritest places if not knackered by then :wink: .
Mon: Approx 22 miles, 2000’ climbs. 45% moorland tracks, 5% slightly technical downhill, 25% lanes, 25% forest tracks. Across remote moors, quite technical downhill, elevenses/lunch stop at shops/cafes/etc, rolling hills back to base.

If you've sussed it, as usual please don't flag up route details or locations on the forum here or it'll get more crowded at the bivi spots than Mach Comedy Festival which is on at the same time :wink:

Scott, Artie, Barney and myself so far.

Cheers, "Reg"
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

macinblack

Post by macinblack »

I'm in for the LHC please -

The one time of the year where I won't be a sad old loner so less chance of having rotting vegetables hurled at me by suspicious locals and even less chance of being glowered at by shotgun wielding farmers protecting their daughters and/or sheep.

I suspect with Reg at the helm, I can leave the magic mushrooms at home.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Reg, I must say your're selling this exceptionally well, if a; I'd signed up for it and
B; I could ride at the mo,I would definitely be joining your band of merry men and
Women. In fact it's inspiring me to the point that with my weight loss with the fatfighters
And hopefully good news at the quacks I'll be signing up for the next escapade :-bd
Artie Fufkin

Post by Artie Fufkin »

Looks all good and an impressively quick turnaround on the whole affair. At this rate everyone attending will be joining in, as above you have sold it so well!!
Can't wait.
techno

Post by techno »

Put me down for a Slice =]
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

It's looking like out of the choices of:

- Learn how to read maps, make up likely totally unrealistic route, get lost in the middle of nowhere never to be heard from again
OR
- Join the LHC

....the more sensible of the two (note: I didn't say sensible!) would be to join the LHC! Hopefully there's room under the tarp :D

Oh, and if there was a 'mumble under your breath mode' on here, at about this point you'd vaguely catch something about a cyclocross bike....
RIP

Post by RIP »

"everyone attending will be joining in" - yes that had sort of crossed my mind too :smile: . I think we're going to have to invent a multiple-choice questionnaire to ascertain "level of loneliness" and set a cut-off point, eg. "do you frequently stare at the telly even when it's switched off", "do you go on and on about imperial measurements like Reg" etc etc. Or maybe someone will start a rival dating agency - it's all fair game. Still, I presume too much, "you don't have to be mad to join LHC but it helps" so that should put plenty off :-bd.

Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Count me in. Dont know anyone else on here. Will be great to ride in company.

Will be slow, but able to navigate just fine.

Oh and will probably have cake or brownies. :grin:
Sarah
simon72

Post by simon72 »

My team mate just pulled out so I am now riding solo. I like the sound of the LHC. Am currently planning to get to the Star Inn Friday night. Hope to see you there. Does anyone need a lift to the WRT from Sussex area?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Just so I can keep up, correct me if I'm wrong pls, current contestants seem to be:

ScottOfTheWoods - have emailed u the gpxs
Artie - have emailed u the gpxs
Barney - have emailed u the gpxs
Macinblack - awaiting ur email/mobile pls
Technomail - have emailed u the gpxs
AlexGold - have emailed u the gpxs
Mart - maybe? +2?
Sarah - awaiting ur email/mobile pls
Simon72 - have emailed u the gpxs
Reg (presumably)

The route can probably handle a reasonable number trolling along it in one group without getting out of hand, but maybe we'll have to stagger the start times if we get a giant party :-). When Stu gets a minute he could indicate how many the bivi spots could cope with :wink:.

gazaddy

Post by gazaddy »

Can i join please....this will be my first multiday trip.....dont have a gps and a basic grasp of navigation , so it will be a learning curve with a bit of a laugh....
Thanks
--------------------------------------champagne lifestyle on lemonade budget
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

Count me in! :-bd
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Wondered when you'd show up :smile:.Can't remember yer email addr/mobile, chap - PM?

Looks like we might have a WRT-LHC Bake-Off shaping up as well, a number of offers so far. Who could manage one of those giant three-tiered jobs eh?

MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Sarah wrote:Oh and will probably have cake or brownies. :grin:
Oh dear: that won't keep the numbers down :grin: .

This has all the makings of the Chilterns winter "It's really lashing down now... Shall we wait here for them or go to the pub? Which pub? You mean there are two pubs? Where are they? From here, I don't know...What are they called? I don't know that either...Who has his number? Oh...Does anyone have a signal? No, me neither...etc" fiasco. May I suggest the WRT LHC each bring their own maps? Reg's minimalist ethos and relaxed demeanor hides a startling level of fitness that frequently sees him blasting-off up hill leaving a gaggle of bewildered, sweaty faces in his wake :lol: .
May you always have tail wind.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Be worse than that - probably only get a signal at Stu's place and the farthest point from Stu's. We'd have to be really badly separated for that to be any help I guess.

Eh? I hate going up hill! I only kept piling on the power to try and stay ahead of you hyperfit commuters :smile:

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Sarah wrote:Oh and will probably have cake or brownies. :grin:
Ok I'm in :-bd

I err :???: .....:may have Malt

It will make a change to ride in a group
Last edited by BigdummySteve on Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Chew

Post by Chew »

None on my business, but......

.....I'm hoping that people arnt taking advantage of Reg's good nature and signing up because its an easy way out.....

....Not looking at anyone in particular, but there are people on the list who already have enough experience to get out on there own or form another group...

.....anyway.....
simon72

Post by simon72 »

Looks like there are enough people joining LHC that 2 or more smaller groups forming is inevitable.

I'm happy to have a go at building an alternative route and setting out some loose "ideals" to see if there are 2/3 others who share my objectives: remote locations, enough supplies to be self sufficient for 3 days, minimal tarmac, some technical riding, 70-90 off-road miles, and a few hundred grams of my weight allowance dedicated to some quality whisky.
Stevemorg

Post by Stevemorg »

Keen to join in though it looks like too many fir one group
Matt

Post by Matt »

....Not looking at anyone in particular, but there are people on the list who already have enough experience to get out on there own or form another group...
Mind your own business, me & Taylor are only tagging along 'just in case' ....
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

After last years trip to "The Golden Sands" I dread to think where you are going... somewhere local, for local people maybe :wink:

As for me, its a long, hilly one so won't (at this point anyway) be attending LHC 2017.
MarkW

Post by MarkW »

I'm normally a LHC member but considering giving it a go myself this year. I now know what to look for on the maps for route planning and also prefer to do a bit more mileage (something like 40,70,40). Anyone is welcome to join me.