WRT2017 LHC dating agency

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BigdummySteve

Re: WRT2017 LHC dating agency

Post by BigdummySteve »

I might have a try to stitch the GPX files together so I can see an overview, I'm sure you can do this somehow.
The bivy locations look great :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

BigdummySteve wrote:I might have a try to stitch the GPX files together so I can see an overview, I'm sure you can do this somehow.
The bivy locations look great :-bd
Bikehike will let you do that easily. It's a handy feature
simon72

Post by simon72 »

MarkW wrote:I've put together a draft for a slightly longer route. So far it's maybe 3-4 of us looking to ride a longer route.
Hey Mark, given that I am driving back to Sussex on Monday, I have decided against the longer route, in order to conserve some energy for my long drive home. I am instead planning a different route (with much helpful advice from Stu) that I am calling "technical and remote": about 20/45/25 miles, focusing on technical off-road riding and a tour around some reservoirs on day 2 to soak up the remote Welsh scenery.

Basically, I don't think I have what it takes to do the 135 miles you are planning and still be in a fit state to drive home safely afterwards (ie: lightweight)

Look forward to meeting up at the weigh in nonetheless.. :-bd
neil

Post by neil »

Afternoon all,
My first foray onto the Bearbones forum. I'm riding the WRT and looking at something around the 100 mile mark. I've plotted a route that I was intending to do solo, but after a month of late nights and early mornings lambing I think I'd not have the will-power to make it past the first pub (and end up with a bivi in the beer garden).

I'm a little late to the party, and I understand from reading back that 1 or 2 of the groups may have filled. Anyone still looking for group members or a ride to join? I'm happy with anything: either doing my route, or ditching it to join another, so long as it's not over 120 miles!

Thanks in advance,
Neil
MarkW

Post by MarkW »

Simon: Sure. No worries.
I plan to be back at bb towers by lunch on Monday but it sounds like you have yourself something more suited to what you like. If any of your route follows ours your more than welcome to ride with us.
simon72

Post by simon72 »

Hi Neil, I sent you a pm with directions to view the "technical remote" route.

If anyone else is looking to join a last minute LHC splinter group (doing under 100 miles) feel free to send me a pm and I'll send you the route details to review.
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

Mark, how long is the long route now? I've lost track! (which might be a preview to the actual event :D )
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Perhaps I should designate an area at the start as the 'LHC Meeting Point' ... I can do a little sign and everything, maybe even a few signs to distinguish between the various factions?

May the bridges you burn light your way
benp1

Post by benp1 »

You're going to put it in the tussocks aren't you?

There needs to be some death march too
RIP

Post by RIP »

I was wondering about a designated spot as well - good idea! Love the neon sign too. Something along the lines of the "First Class Lounge" at railway stations would fit the bill. You know the type of thing, a screened-off area with nice carpet and a few occasional tables, comfy armchairs, complimentary snacks/drinks/newspapers, some tinkly soothing background muzak perhaps, free pre-ride massages, consultant psychologist for those last-minute panic-attacks. Maybe a screen showing rolling weigh-in results, weather, departure times of contestants etc.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

RIP wrote:I was wondering about a designated spot as well - good idea! Love the neon sign too. Something along the lines of the "First Class Lounge" at railway stations would fit the bill. You know the type of thing, a screened-off area with nice carpet and a few occasional tables, comfy armchairs, complimentary snacks/drinks/newspapers, some tinkly soothing background muzak perhaps, free pre-ride massages, consultant psychologist for those last-minute panic-attacks. Maybe a screen showing rolling weigh-in results, weather, departure times of contestants etc.
That's it Reg. Keep it simple :wink:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

RIP wrote:I was wondering about a designated spot as well - good idea! Love the neon sign too. Something along the lines of the "First Class Lounge" at railway stations would fit the bill. You know the type of thing, a screened-off area with nice carpet and a few occasional tables, comfy armchairs, complimentary snacks/drinks/newspapers, some tinkly soothing background muzak perhaps, free pre-ride massages, consultant psychologist for those last-minute panic-attacks. Maybe a screen showing rolling weigh-in results, weather, departure times of contestants etc.
I just knew I'd made the right choice :YMPARTY:
it seem a shame to spoil it trudging through the Welsh countryside

RIP

Post by RIP »

KIS indeed ;). As you can see I'm wrestling with the opposing poles of an 'organised club' and 'freewheeling owt-can-appen bikepacking'. Maybe not as oxymoronic as it appears. Whatever, it's all good clean(*) fun.

(*) for mid-Wales
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

Ps. Hi Ian <waves>, can almost see you from here - I'm stuck in the clothes department at Sheffield M&S at the moment with Mrs Perrin. Pissing with rain in Eyam (hols) at the moment so apparently 'may as well go shopping'. And to think I grabbed the woman for her adventurous rufty-tufty spirit. Sigh. ;)
Last edited by RIP on Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarkW

Post by MarkW »

AlexGold wrote:Mark, how long is the long route now? I've lost track! (which might be a preview to the actual event :D )
Approx 135 miles. Couple of shortcuts available too in case the weather turns sour or I'm being too ambitious. I think its an achievable target given last years "A" group did 100 miles. I think my route may have a little bit more cycle path than the wonderful route chew took us last year.
MarkW

Post by MarkW »

Anyone wishing to join us who hasn't already done so please PM me your email so I can send you the GPX. :-bd

My route is a planned 135 miles. It won't be done at racing pace.
Expect mostly bridleways, fire road, and tarmaced cycleways. Some of the route is remote. There'll hopefully be a Sunday pub lunch and the odd shop on the route. I aim to be back at BB towers around lunch time Monday. Hopefully there'll be some of that lovely famous cake left.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

RIP wrote: Optional final 500’ / 1 mile climb to one of Stu's favouritest places if not knackered by then
Cheers, "Reg"
Given the weather forecast perhaps we should low, then again if we're up against it we could be all heroic and stiff upon lipped and press on. I'm intrigued to see stu' s favouritest place and if it involves a bothy it will be worth it.
Spending this afternoon re-assessing clothing ect

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm intrigued to see stu' s favouritest place and if it involves a bothy it will be worth it.
Oh no, none of my favourite places involve bothies.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Tuxedo will be fine Steve, it never does to be under-dressed for the occasion.

Was going to post later in the week but since we're here.... yep, usual WRT weather predictions started but it'll be none of them :wink:. Last year looked not too cold with one "heavy rain". However the Fri night beforehand I tarped it and the tarp froze up! So who knows. After boarding train 200 miles away I've got what I've got and that's it. Only choices to make now are: a/ take a big light (3000 lumens 460g = heavy) or just stop+pitch before dark (with e-Lite 25g), and b/ 9x7 tarp (195g) and +5c bag (370g) OR 10x8 tarp (500g) and -9c bag (790g).

Current setup: Orange P7 (11.7kg), seatpack 2000g (kitchen+1dinner 470g, bathroom 105g, toolshed/1staid/tube 630g, full spare baselayer 420g); bar bag 1 890g (s'bag); bar bag 2 1400g (tarp, mat etc); stemcell 1 390g (steripen, bits&bobs), stemcell 2 20g (w'bottle 10g) total 16.9kg / 37 lbs. That excludes the "elephant in the room" of worn clothing at 2600-3000g!!

Re Stu's Place, the limiting factor might be pitching room - looks tussocky & quite rocky and not that many flat spots. Stu might give us a hint... Gotta be worth a try though :smile:

Pub booked (as per PM's) but not heard from Scott, Artie or Nick so they'll be potluck or bag of peanuts.

I'll be at Star Inn from about 6,30pm Friday, and down at Stu's before 9. Guess I'll be under the fab neon sign, and I'll also have a panda on my head (and why not eh?), but no carnation in my non-existent buttonhole.

"Whatever happens, you'll have some memories to treasure"

"Reg"

"faves = no bothy". Yeah, what's a bothy? :wink:
Last edited by RIP on Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Re Stu's Place, the limiting factor might be pitching room - looks tussocky & quite rocky and not that many flat spots. Stu might give us a hint... Gotta be worth a try though :smile:
Are we talking favourite place one or including the secondary climb up to favourite place two and the high altitude option?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Errmmmmm...... :wink: . Secondary please. Well, both really :smile:

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I for one promise on the bear, faithfully not to defile previously mention favourite place in any unnatural way or indeed natural way (unless absolutely necessary) or to reveal said place to the unwashed masses :-bd

Yours sincerely BD Steve

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Electronic mail incoming Reg ... looking forward to meeting the panda :-bd
Albs1973

Post by Albs1973 »

Hi Reg,

Can I join the group pls?

If that's ok, and there's a gpx, could you email it me pls - richard.alborough@hotmail.co.uk

Cheers,

Richard
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Sadly going to have to bail on this. Just got too much going on to take time away. Hope you all have a fabby time.
Sarah.
Sarah