Borderer

Re: Borders 350 2017 Registration Open.

Post by Borderer »

Perfect, see you there. Friday night is fish and chips night :-bd
ollie5882

Post by ollie5882 »

Hi Karl, Bridget, Ray,

Somehow I seem to have got myself committed to making it to the start line... I'll be driving up on the Friday afternoon but the earliest we'll make it is 7, probably more like 9 to be honest but we'll join you if we get there in time as it would be good to talk to folk other than at the start line before you all leave me for dust! Looking forward to a great adventure no matter what though!

Bridget: any idea if a baby is exempt from the 8pm rule...?

Ollie
Karl

Post by Karl »

Hi Ollie

You've only got yourself to blame for committing to this. It's going to be a journey of discovery that's for sure. We'll wait for you in Wetherspoons (as long as it's not too late) :smile:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Been doing some route homework and checking out food sources - Cafe at tibie shiels, good shop and a tea room in Broughton. Pizza and kebab shop in Moffat is open until 11.30pm and the petrol station next door is 24hrs. Both on the High street as you enter the town centre. The spar in Newcastleton is open 7am until 8pm. The shop in Kielder is open 9 until 4 but shut for lunch for an hour. The cafe in the FC centre is open 9.00 to 5.30. There is a wee shop in Town Yethom (just off route by kirk yethom) open 7 - 6. In Wooler the coop is open 7am until 11pm! :-bd. Once back over the border there should be plenty of choice in Jedburgh, Hawick and Selkirk.

So actually quite a bit of choice depending on your pace. I suspect the longest stretch with nowt is Kielder to Kirk Yetholm or Wooler to Jedburgh.

I'd join yous on Friday eve but it will be nice to doss in my own bed rather than a tent so I'll see you Sat am. I've had a look for a cafe that opens early in Peebles but nothing doing by the looks.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

The chippie in Wooler is one of the finest in the land.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Borderer wrote:The chippie in Wooler is one of the finest in the land.
That's interesting as I had chips there during the first group start. They were very disappointing, but couldn't work out if it was because I'd just decided to scratch.

Heading up that way in August and will be sure to revisit for a second opinion
ollie5882

Post by ollie5882 »

Thanks for the shop/cafe opening hours. It looks like there's also a cafe in Ingram (about 25km after Wooler), open 10-16:30. Might also be worth noting that the shop in Town Yetholm looks like it shuts at 16:00 on Sunday (although if I make it that far at all by Sunday I'll be happy!)
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

A bit of trail advice.
The climb from Megget Reservoir is marked as single track but is in fact land rover track for the first 4k. Stay on the track until it bears sharp left near the top then exit right by a small pile of stones to encounter a small boggy area. Easiest way past the bog is to keep going right until you see a gate at a fence corner.
Soon after this you descend from Dollar Law, at the bottom pass a small rocky knoll keeping it to the right and head for a signpost. Bear right down a small pathless gully to a gate and cross. After climbing up to Long Grain Knowe follow the fence line which is on the left then cross through a gate and continue following the fence line to a small mound with a sunken rocky centre then rejoin the now obvious path.
The Cheviot Hills ridge line has some stone slab paths. The second one encountered has a small section that has sunk underwater and drops straight down by at least 1 metre and will swallow the whole front end of your bike, you will see where people have gone round it.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Ray Young wrote:The Cheviot Hills ridge line has some stone slab paths. The second one encountered has a small section that has sunk underwater and drops straight down by at least 1 metre and will swallow the whole front end of your bike, you will see where people have gone round it.
I take it you found that out the hard way!
Are you riding Ray, I recall you were saying on another thread you were having neck issues?
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

htrider wrote:Are you riding Ray, I recall you were saying on another thread you were having neck issues?
Yes, not currently affecting me but it is a big concern.
htrider wrote:
Ray Young wrote:The Cheviot Hills ridge line has some stone slab paths. The second one encountered has a small section that has sunk underwater and drops straight down by at least 1 metre and will swallow the whole front end of your bike, you will see where people have gone round it.
I take it you found that out the hard way!
Sort of but I didn't ride into it. I had spotted the wild goats that live up here and was stalking them trying to get close enough for a decent photo and stepped into it, it swallowed my right leg up to my thigh!

https://flic.kr/p/vkBsAu
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

There's a Co Op in Moffat too, open 7am to 10pm. It's near the petrol station just off the main road, and has a really good selection
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

The weather up here has been shocking for the last few days but the forecast for the weekend is much, much better.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Nice one Ray - Sunnies and wellies I reckon!
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Bad news folks, I've just returned home from a&e after doing my back in, not only am I out of the ride I can't even make it to the start to see you off, sorry. Talk about mega pissed off.
Good luck to you all . Please send completion times to me and some write ups would be great.
I hate this year!
Ray.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

That sucks Ray, I hope you're feeling better soon.
ollie5882

Post by ollie5882 »

Really sorry to hear that Ray - it does indeed suck :sad: I hope you're on the mend soon.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Thanks guys. I've suffered back problems for years but not tweaked it this bad for quite some time. Rest and painkillers for me I'm afraid.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Just to say we are in wetherspoons, in a booth on the right as you come in. Under the picture of the sheep :cool:
Also, as the schools have now broken up, kids are allowed in til ten :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Sorry to hear that Ray - been suffering from back issues for 15 months now so I share your pain! Get a good physio and do a pilates class.

I've created a trip on Spotwalla with the route overlaid. https://spotwalla.com/publicTrips.php?un=fatbikephil Sorry if I'd sussed this sooner other spot users could have joined this trip....

See yas tomorrow.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Here's mine...

https://goo.gl/DQymdr

Could of done the same as It rides.. .d'oh

See you at 8!!
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Thanks for the spots, will be watching. Gutted I can't even see you off, good luck to you all.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Both Karl and Phil doing well. With the changes made to the first days route (less distance / climbing to Moffat) and an hour earlier start I reckon both will make Moffat before the take aways shut and possibly even the coop which shuts at ten. Nice one fellas, :-bd .
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Ps, both are now on a road section just before the big uphill bikehike up to "The Devils Beeftub". Possibly the hardest part of the route.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Not even 7.30 and Phil's almost at Moffat with Karl not far from the end of the bikehike. That's some going over that terrain!