Borders 350 2017 Registration Open.

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pushbikemike

Re: Borders 350 2017 Registration Open.

Post by pushbikemike »

Ray Young wrote:
ianfitz wrote:
Ray Young wrote:Thanks Ollie, I remember wondering when you where going to post the last bit.
Yes, there will be a 2018 group start, first Saturday of July, registration from 1st March. If you don't fancy doing the full 350 then I'm contemplating adding in a 220 too, same date and time, same start point.
Would that be the single loop Ray? That would be a cracker too :-bd
Not quite, day one is very different. From the start it heads SW over Cademuir Hill then W to do the Broughton loop. The Devil's Beeftub bikehike is still in. After Moffat it takes the Romans and Reivers way directly into Craik Forest missing out Over Phawhope bothy, this should make Greensykes bothy achievable on the first night. The only other change is missing out the Eastern loop. Less miles, less climbing and a much easier start. I need to ride a couple of bits I've not ridden but I'm 99.9% sure they're ok. I'll post a link up later tonight when I have more time.
That sounds like a good first day Ray. Ive ridden all that with the exception of the Romans and Reivers bit. I plan to do that section in 2weeks coming from the other direction as part of a loop for February Bivy a month.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

pushbikemike wrote:That sounds like a good first day Ray. Ive ridden all that with the exception of the Romans and Reivers bit. I plan to do that section in 2weeks coming from the other direction as part of a loop for February Bivy a month.
Mike, those are the very two bits I've not ridden. I would be grateful if you could let me know how you get on on the R/R bit. I'm sure it'll be fine as it's a way marked route. Thanks.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

I've ridden it from Samyee Ling up to the saddle between Loch Fell and Dun moss, that bit is fine. I turned South there to Dryfehead so not done the other bit to Moffat. The last bit from Moffat up to where I got to looks like it will be a steep push
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

[quote=Mike, those are the very two bits I've not ridden. I would be grateful if you could let me know how you get on on the R/R bit. I'm sure it'll be fine as it's a way marked route. Thanks.[/quote]

Sure thing Ray. I'll look forward to the bit Shawn mentioned. I'll hopefully get a nice downhill the way I'm going.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Hmm 220 miles sounds good, I can feel a cop out coming on (not that it will be a cop out if the Fruid to Moffat bit is still in)
Will see how back / knees / level of arsedness to train goes and decide :mrgreen:
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

htrider wrote:Hmm 220 miles sounds good, I can feel a cop out coming on
No,no,no,no,no,naughty,naughty,naughty. :wink:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I may well be up for a rematch with the full route on the group start.

Need a focus for this year as I’m currently very distracted and not riding much at all.

Ray - would the route you sent to Mark be the current one? I have a copy of that already.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Hi Ian, the route hasn't changed since 2016 so you probably have the final one. If in doubt send me your email and I'll re send it.
Cheers, Ray.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Ray Young wrote:
bugger so much for wimping out.... FFS I'm too old for this sh*t. :mrgreen:

Ian, you should turn up then you can bugger off into the distance and do it in a really fast time vastly reducing the chances of me riding too hard on day 1 and wrecking myself (again...)
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

htrider wrote:
Ray Young wrote:

Ian, you should turn up then you can bugger off into the distance and do it in a really fast time vastly reducing the chances of me riding too hard on day 1 and wrecking myself (again...)
I seem to remember the last group start saw you riding off into the distance.

Mark and I were following your tyre tracks, then phantom tyre tracks, for quite a while!

Also, I always start slow :wink:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ianfitz wrote:
htrider wrote:
Ray Young wrote:

I seem to remember the last group start saw you riding off into the distance.

Mark and I were following your tyre tracks, then phantom tyre tracks, for quite a while!

Also, I always start slow :wink:
Yeah and look what happened to me....
Will be low and slow this year as I'm mucho motivated to get round in one piece
ollie5882

Post by ollie5882 »

Ray Young wrote:Thanks Ollie, I remember wondering when you where going to post the last bit.
Yep, been meaning to write it for a while now! Sorry for the delay.
Ray Young wrote:Yes, there will be a 2018 group start, first Saturday of July, registration from 1st March. If you don't fancy doing the full 350 then I'm contemplating adding in a 220 too, same date and time, same start point.
Excellent. I think...
stucowp

Post by stucowp »

restlessnative wrote:I've ridden it from Samyee Ling up to the saddle between Loch Fell and Dun moss, that bit is fine. I turned South there to Dryfehead so not done the other bit to Moffat. The last bit from Moffat up to where I got to looks like it will be a steep push
Think I've ridden this section you might be talking about coming from Samye ling over the R/R to Moffat on the CX bike, the climb from S/L was epic and my legs were pretty pissed at me with only a 38x32 climbing gear but that will make an excellent Downhill to recover from the Garrogill climb up to Dun Moss it was an excellent descent well graded but steep in a valley so that will be a bitch of a HAB in reverse seem to recall it having a 30% gradient or more. Great section mind!

Strava link from GreenSykes that i did if it helps.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1105305423
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

stucowp wrote:
restlessnative wrote:I've ridden it from Samyee Ling up to the saddle between Loch Fell and Dun moss, that bit is fine. I turned South there to Dryfehead so not done the other bit to Moffat. The last bit from Moffat up to where I got to looks like it will be a steep push
Think I've ridden this section you might be talking about coming from Samye ling over the R/R to Moffat on the CX bike, the climb from S/L was epic and my legs were pretty pissed at me with only a 38x32 climbing gear but that will make an excellent Downhill to recover from the Garrogill climb up to Dun Moss it was an excellent descent well graded but steep in a valley so that will be a bitch of a HAB in reverse seem to recall it having a 30% gradient or more. Great section mind!

Strava link from GreenSykes that i did if it helps.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1105305423
yep that's it I was completely broken when I arrived at Dryfehead Bothy, it's a hell of a long climb up from Samyee LIng, I was on my CX to