Dulyn Bothy, N Wales. Anyone been there ?

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Re: Dulyn Bothy, N Wales. Anyone been there ?

Post by whitestone »

At what point does a bothy (or any other point of interest or "target/destination") become just part of the ride? Is a short out and back route to a bothy just box ticking? What about riding to a bothy then continuing on the following day, either a loop or point to point? Is the disquiet because the destination is a bothy rather than something like a waterfall or old mining works?

Between Xmas and New Year, Cath and I did a ride from Dalwhinnie round by Glen Garry and Loch Rannoch to Ben Alder Cottage then back via Culra the following day. We could have ridden in and out from Loch Rannoch; got the train to Dalwhinnie, ridden to the bothy then carried on to the West Highland Line; done a different loop. Are none/any/all of these just "collecting"?
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

At what point does a bothy (or any other point of interest or "target/destination") become just part of the ride? Is a short out and back route to a bothy just box ticking?
I'm not sure it's possible to say Bob.
Between Xmas and New Year, Cath and I did a ride from Dalwhinnie round by Glen Garry and Loch Rannoch to Ben Alder Cottage then back via Culra the following day. We could have ridden in and out from Loch Rannoch; got the train to Dalwhinnie, ridden to the bothy then carried on to the West Highland Line; done a different loop. Are none/any/all of these just "collecting"?
In my mind (and I fully realise lots of people will disagree), the 'problem' arises when a bothy (or other place) doesn't facilitate a trip, it actually becomes the trip and rather than enhancing the journey, it detracts from it ... as we know, the journey is meant to be more important than the destination.
May the bridges you burn light your way
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
In my mind (and I fully realise lots of people will disagree), the 'problem' arises when a bothy (or other place) doesn't facilitate a trip, it actually becomes the trip and rather than enhancing the journey, it detracts from it ... as we know, the journey is meant to be more important than the destination.
The current raft of books/online videos are selling just that though... the bothy IS the destination, the getting there is an irrelevance (all be it with a nice view).

Its the likes of Alistair Humphreys selling bothies as THE escape and not the getting out the wilds as the best part (example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOrcWFZ-q-4). I personally know loads of folk for whom the bothy is the destination, the perception of "craic" in a nice place in the hills for free is a strong draw for many. they daydream in the office about the bothy, not the ride/walk in, that for, some just gets in the way*.

*this goes back to my current hatred of Carling larger**, for the most part in the last 3 years, my Welsh bothy experiences have been spoiled by large numbers of men (always men) using the various bothies as solely a p**** up destination.. This isn't an "I have more right to be in the bothy than you because I earned the right to be here by walking/riding xxx miles to get here" sort of rant, but this is the way bothies have become...

**why Carling, its the most popular for the walk/drive/motorcycle to bothy, get p.....ed up, stay up till 3am types..
Last edited by NorwayCalling on Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The current raft of books/online videos are selling just that though... the bothy IS the destination, the getting there is an irrelevance (all be it with a nice view).

Its the likes of Alistair Humphreys selling bothies as THE escape and not the getting out the wilds as the best part (example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOrcWFZ-q-4). I personally know loads of folk for whom the bothy is the destination, the perception of "craic" in a nice place in the hills for free is a strong draw for many. they daydream in the office about the bothy, not the ride/walk in, that for, some just gets in the way*.
Couldn't agree more and one of the reasons I largely avoid MBA / official / well known bothies these days. In my mind, a bothy is a refuge for when conditions require it ... they're not a tourist attraction, we've got Alton Towers and Blackpool for that :wink:
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

The more I think of it the more I want to build my own 'bothy' out in the sticks!
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 4

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The more I think of it the more I want to build my own 'bothy' out in the sticks!
Just don't tell anyone Jeff :wink:
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Just don't tell anyone Jeff :wink:
:lol:
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 4

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
deft punk

Post by deft punk »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I fully realise lots of people will disagree
Half the MOs around here would disagree :lol: A check on a bothy seems to require humphing in a weekends worth of drink & coal, then seeing how hot you can get the place* (presumably in case that fabled netball team shows up).

They've been a destination for hard drinkers & bad singers for as long as my memory stretches back, and going by some of the books on my shelves it was the same further back again.
Never my first choice of camp, even when they're empty...
but they're a godsend on a shitey day, if only for some brief shelter & food.
*Not that hot normally, but a glowing flue is always a sight to behold!