Chilterns Spring Thing 25 March

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

TheBrownDog

Chilterns Spring Thing 25 March

Post by TheBrownDog »

I thought I'd start a new thread on this one so we can clear up who's in. Haven't whatassp'ed the winter bivviests yet but will do I promise. There's a list below so if you're keen, copy it into a new post and add your handle to the bottom.

Reg has a route in mind that sounds good. Meet at Leighton Buzzard Station at a time TBC but let's say noonish for 20 miles, bivvy in the Senterre-Parkes visitor centre (LOL) and back to the start in good time for anyone with Mothering Sunday duties to avoid a bollocking.

So far I think interest is from:

Me
RIP
Rich3rd
Mike
Dr Nick ?
Crewlie ?
Zippy ?
I'm just going outside ...
RIP

Re: Chilterns Spring Thing 25 March

Post by RIP »

C'mon peeps don't be shy! We're letting 'dog off with a very cheap round so far :smile:

How can you miss a ride that goes through Witts End? Certainly by the end you will be......
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

Hopefully I'm in :cool: just checking family diary commitments
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I'm a maybe, will confirm closer to the time
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I'm a no unfortunately, it's my niece's birthday on the Sunday so I'm not going to be able to get out of that

I've got a pass for the weekend before though, might try to do something then (but potentially slightly further afield, either on foot or by bike)
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

Hoping to get involved, pending permission from the boss
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Excellent news larsmars. C'mon you lot. Three weeks to go and we're still not quite a volley ball team.
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

Sadly, I'm out. :sad:

My 83 year old mum died in her sleep last week and we have the funeral on the Fri in Sussex and on the Sat we're catching up with those who have travelled a long way....

Enjoy the weekend and raise a hip flask at some point! She didn't start driving until her mid 40s and was a proper utility cyclist until then....
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Dr Nick wrote:Sadly, I'm out. :sad: ....
Mate, our deepest sympathies. She sounds like a terrific lady.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

R.i.p sympathies here too.
RIP

Post by RIP »

3 weeks to go, guess we ought to start cranking ourselves up chap(esse)s? What do you reckon TBD? I knocked up a quick GPX (whatever one of those is ;-)) which I could PM round contestants for [dis]approval unless any other thoughts? Not sure of specific bivi spots round Ampthill, I could do a recce I suppose, or we just wing it in the BBB Approved manner?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I've no local knowledge either but a quick google mapping search shows quite a few forests. I think we probs need to work out where we might be having dinner, and work our way forward from there. Anyone know any decent local pubs?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Hi 'Brown, my pal Jezzer lives in Ampthill and when I foist myself on him we go to the Albion: http://www.banksandtaylor.com/albion/albion.htm. Great old-style boozer with loads of wacky beers. However, no food, so we'd have to survive the night on crisps and peanuts. Fratelli's Italian Restaurant looks OK. Maybe get to Fratelli's early evening when less busy then repair to the Albion for nightcap? or just Fratelli's, or whatever people fancy.
Are you happy coordinating? If you PM me your email address I can send you my GPX to send round?

TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Reg, yes very happy to coordinate the victuals. The Albion boozer sounds great but I do think we need somewhere to drink AND eat. I will struggle to move from a sitting position for eating to a sitting position for riding to a sitting position for drinking ... and then have to move off again to find somewhere to bivvi. Leave it with me. Im sure someone in the club will know a decent place. PM coming your way shortly.
Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

Peep's, really looking forward to my 1st BBB trip (practice ride for WRT), play nice though, do dodgy 'initiation' ceremonies allowed :o I'm not quite sorted yet for the whole bivvy thingy yet, so was hoping to take my little tent on this trip. The Albion looks an vaguely exciting boozer, but prefer pub with food & fine cask conditioned ales. Where you planning to start from, I could get train up from Berkhamsted or drive if anyone needs a lift from around these parts.
Never knowingly under biked...
Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

Rich3rd wrote:vaguely exciting
Whats with this profanity filter thingy, that was written as 'awes0me' ???? Has it got the whole viz profanisaurus in it, I know, lets try it out..... red wings, bobfoc, zuffle .....
RIP

Post by RIP »

'Viz profanisaurus' - excellent, I can see how this outing is going to unfold already :-bd . Horse's handbrake indeed...

'Awes0me' - STW filter... likewise we dudes won't be sending it on any gnarly tracks... (Oh. Well they all got through so obviously we will be...)

RIP

Post by RIP »

TBD has OK'd my route and dodgy pub choice, so although it's anathema to BBB ethics being Sat night we probably ought to "book" the pub, http://www.frenchhornpub.co.uk/index. Looks a bit posh for tramps like us but Rich3rd is bringing his profanisaurus (the book, not Dave B :smile:) so we should lower the tone of the place nicely. Who's in then?

TheBrownDog
RIP
Mike
Rich3rd
Larsmars
UncleTomCobbleyAndAll

TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

TBD has OK'd my route and dodgy pub choice,
Pub choice looks luuurverly and the route appears doable for the fatter (me) but still challenging for the fitter (the rest of you)

C'mon, need a show of hands so I can book a table. Bivvy options are quite varied and RIP may find time to scout a spot this weekend but if not there are several patches of forest to shelter all within a reasonable distance of the M1. :grin:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Have found a selection of bivi spots capable of housing, say, 3-5; at most of them you could have pheasant for breakfast if you were that way inclined. Downside of that is it's possibly a bit gamekeepery round there but we'd be well hidden and away at the crack of dawn (poor girl, seems a bit intimate to me but there we go). They're pretty well out of earshot of the blue road. I can PM the locations for perusal at some point. The riding is really pleasant round there too so it should be a nice little mini-event.

TBD is doing a great job here with pub bookings etc, so can we firm up our places please chaps so he can crack on before we leave it too late and end up with potnoodles in the carpark?

R

Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

I'm defo in in this. RIP, do thou think I'll get away with putting a tent up under the gamekeepers nose (mmm straying into double entendre tertiary here) its reasonably dark green, nothing to luminous, or is it bivvy only (I do have a summer bivvy bag if needed)?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nice one Rich. Yeah I reckon a tent should be hideable so long as it's not a Laser Space 2 (*) or similar. Maybe bring yer bivibag too, then yah got options. My tarp's 8x10 so not exactly inconspicuous. We can tour all the spots until you're all happy with the choice :-).

(*) Yes I actually have one of the, probably, two or three of those that ever got sold! 3.1kg. Might be amusing to bring on WRT to the hilarity of all present ;-).

Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

It'll be fine, no taller than a tarp http://s.aliexpress.com/Bvaay6fM , i just got a lush carbon pole from bare bones towers for it, doubled it in value :shock:
crewlie

Post by crewlie »

Don't think I'm going to make it, we're only getting back to the UK on the 23rd and I suspect I may be needed for a few jobs that weekend. Have fun :)
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

No problem Crewlie.

Looks like it's just the three of us. I couldn't entice any of my clubmates out either, not even with with the offer of my "spare" bike bags.

RIP do any of the likely sites happen to be a woods with sturdy trees around 4-5m apart for my hammock? I can bring a bivvi bag too but hammocks, well, once you've tried 'em it's tough to go back to sleeping with the slugs and grime on the ground.