Summer Solstice(ish) Run to the sun.

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Summer Solstice(ish) Run to the sun.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Lovely job chaps. Actually, very sorry to have missed it but I'd probably still be out there now.
In all a great weekend away, with all types of 'FUN" but next year Stu, can you plan for the week earlier in the sunshine??
I'll do my best. Maybe even a single destination with various starting points?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

A quick write up...

I rode to the start...made it with only a few minutes to spare. Enjoyed the first bit until that HAB up the hill where I managed to tweak my right knee. Ended up nursing said knee for rest of trip. I opted to skip the 2nd HAB up the rocky chute/forest/field and go around - I didn't fancy another tweak of the knee and a complete drop-out and I knew the forest was rather rutted - and all followed suit. By the time we got to Claerddu, I was wet through and tired, having been up for 20+ hours and a little extra cycling in the legs. I copped some zeds, woke up to find the adventure party had left the building, so relaxed and enjoyed the banter with the two Bens and Matt. Always nice to put new faces to the names.

We decided to have an easier day and dropped down to Pontrhydfendigaid and had a nice lunch at the pub. Fueled up, we climbed back up to Ffair Rhos and over to rejoin the route north. A while later, we climbed up out of the Cwmystwyth valley, the cycle path still as broken as I remembered it but somehow not as steep as it seemed from a previous jaunt there. Spinning up the climb and still nursing bastard right knee.

Into the bothy...fire on...kit drying out. Burty, Jay, Mart and Andy arrived a while later and expressed their delight/horror at the part of the route we missed. In my condition, I was a little glad I didn't take it on. Out of the bothy in the morning with the adventure team having left hours prior, we dipped back down to Llangurig and back to civilisation.

A nice weekend out...for ducks. Must invest in better/more lighting...Roman Camp was a bit of a chore with a Joystick on medium. Wet grass going down there was interesting on a rear Nano as well.

Greetz

S.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Enjoyed the first bit until that HAB up the hill where I managed to tweak my right knee.
Uhm sorry, I had planned to be there to accept any flak for that in person :wink:
Roobell7

Post by Roobell7 »

Scattamah, I didn't hear that you'd twerked your knee. It puts into context the call to avoid the next HAB and rest up at Clearddu. I thought you was just having a soft 'Kiwi' moment :grin:

FWIW I supported the call not to climb up through the woods from the church. Not because of the HAB and ruts. Rather the decent in the dark across the boggy stream bed at the other end.... :shock:

The weekend gave me exactly what I wanted. A 24hr ride with a full range of conditions. Body and bike held up well and I enjoyed pitching myself against paramart on the climbs. Turns out we share the same age cat on Strava!!

I feel an entry for this years BB200 might be on :o :roll:

Andy
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Never had a Kiwi moment in my life...being Australian :)

I mentioned the knee once, but after Burty took the piss and called me a whinger, I kept quiet. Not my forte, but hey ho.

Still, kudos to everyone who turned up to ride into the horizontal rain around Claerwen at 2am.

Greetz

S.
paramart

Post by paramart »

I thought it was a great ride not only for the endurance aspect, and believe me once burty started moaning it was endurance to the max lol
I thought we all had a pop at you scott you were pretty tired and moody which is unusual for you hope you get it sorted
Enjoyed the competition andy you are a strong rider my roadie mates training paid off for me as i usually grind it out but felt comfortable with the pace
Can't fault the stooge
it's not that I can and others can't, it's that I will and others won't.
Roobell7

Post by Roobell7 »

Never had a Kiwi moment in my life...being Australian :)
I thought you'd appreciate the insult :grin:

BTW did anyone pick up my Surly woolly hat from Nant Rhys bothy? My stealth departure overlooked it :sad:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Yup...riding with an injury usually sees me getting a little grumpy. Inside tendon, under right knee...feels like a banjo string and was burning with every pedal stroke on Friday night. It's slowly calming down (been using the Barter method of spin-it-out). Maybe by the weekend it will be back in action.

@Andy - I don't recall seeing your hat. :(

Greetz

S.
burty

Post by burty »

MOANING me how very dare you mart :grin:
anyway we all had a good weekend both tribes , apart from the tyre part
but maybe next year there could actually be some sun to run to,
then again we did have five minutes of sun on the first climb on our return ,
and it wasn't me how called you a winger scott , my knee was dodgy as well then , but some how got better through the night .
psling

Post by psling »

burty wrote:... but maybe next year there could actually be some sun to run to,
I did actually see the sun shining in the morning at Aberaeron. It appeared to be casting its ray about a mile out at sea [possibly at one of Stu's WRT GRs?!?] and lasted, oooh, at least 30 seconds, maybe 45....
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

[possibly at one of Stu's WRT GRs?!?]
:grin: