Trans Cambrian

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mbnut

Trans Cambrian

Post by Mbnut »

Bore da

I have it in mind to have a stab at the Trans Cambrian around the 4th/5th January.

Is this a fool hard idea? The actual route itself is not a concern in regards to miles, height gain etc, (not a flippant statement, I will be showing it a great deal of respect).

But it would be helpful to know if ground conditions are going to be reasonable, what i'd like to avoid is large amounts of bog trotting.

So anyone that knows the route, how boggy how often and how rocky how often?

The rocks are fine, just a question to help with tyre choice in mind (robustness) really.

Hope you all had a cracking Christmas.

Cheers

Mbnut aka Nigel
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Trans Cambrian

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You should be okay generally. There will be some wet / muddy sections but they will be fairly short lived. Rock isn't really a feature (even the Foel Fadian descent has been smoothed out). If you're lucky, it'll be frozen solid.

Tyres? Don't need to be tough, just need to offer enough grip for slippery climbs / descents. You could happily ride it on just about anything.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

I was hoping you'd see this :-bd

Sounds about how I had it pegged reading peoples write ups and watching videos. One mans 'rough' track is another mans 'smooth' road and all that.

I shall keep an eye on the forecast and go for it when wind conditions look most favourable. My thinking is i'll take the bivy gear and decide as I go whether to use it or just push on...

The plan is to ride the Afan area for a couple of days, then up to do this, then maybe some of the Mach/Nant yr Arian stuff depending on my legs.

Thanks for the info.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Something to consider is wind direction - generally, a W to E run will put the wind at your back.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

Sadly a chest infection put pay to this ride.... annoying as there was a peach of a weather window which would have made it a lovely day/night.

It is very much on the cards for another time though.