Is anyone Festive 500-ing?

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

mat_swan

Re: Is anyone Festive 500-ing?

Post by mat_swan »

Made it to 248km today with a lovely cross ride. Mix of off road, singletrack and tarmac. Clearly not been eating enough the last few days because i thought i was going to bonk after a worryingly short distance and had to reroute via a cafe!
Chew

Post by Chew »

Ticked over 400k yesterday with an extended commute and Night ride.
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

Finished the #RaphaFestive500 today with a total of 504km (so far) and 2 more days to go :smile: This is me if your bothered https://www.strava.com/athletes/2032917

Just followed the link to Crikey, how much site to claim roundel. Quite chuffed with myself.
bearlymoving

Post by bearlymoving »

I had a big hole in a tubeless tyre yesterday, and lost loads of time pumping it up and getting it fixed. Had to re-route 10 miles to Decathlon to get a tubeless repair kit, then ended up riding unridable routes off road at less than 6mph when I should have been doing 15. I had to bail and catch a train so I didn't miss dinner.

Net result; I've got 120 miles to do in two days. Given the mechanicals I've been having, it could go either way...
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Well done NorwayCalling (I've clivked to try and follow you on Strava (abu uzair) to give you some well earned kudos. Gma, Chew and everyone else , keep going as you're only a smidgen away... keep yer hands warm and no sharp high speed corners in this weather (right!)...
bearlymoving

Post by bearlymoving »

redefined_cycles wrote:Gma, Chew and everyone else , keep going as you're only a smidgen away...
Cheers for the motivating chat! I've just got home after riding Blackpool to Manchester. A bit less fun today. I'm not sure if that's because the weather was a bit rubbish or because I'm getting knackered. Probably both. 47 left to do tomorrow...
Chew

Post by Chew »

Glad I had the day off yesterday.
Commute to work leaves me with 58k for tomorrow :-bd
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

Well, i made it. A couple of slightly short days (including a 35mile road ride- shock horror!) mid week made a fifty miler in order on the crosser on Friday. Quite nice actually to go out and loop round the tamer bridleways without doing too much singletrack hunting!

Yesterday was very grey and most of my bikes seem to be falling apart in one way or another so i took the singlespeed on a club mtb ride. Necessary mileage for the day was 36 and i was definitely feeling it plugging through some of the muddy tracks. A double portion at the cake stop fuelled me up for a bit of a wide loop to get the miles up on the way home so i finished with a couple of miles to spare.

Enjoyed doing it, although attempting as much off road time as possible asks a lot more time commitment (my other half has been very understanding!)- not sure harder, just longer. I did struggle with motivation on a couple of mornings later on!
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I did register for the 500 this year. A half hearted effort and combination of being at work over Christmas and riding it all on the 29er meant I only clocked up 285km

Enjoyed it all through. Which is the main thing :-bd
bearlymoving

Post by bearlymoving »

I finished it in the end, and really enjoyed it. I'm glad to have a day off the bike today though.

I also learned (through necessity) how to repair a large hole in a tubeless tyre. :-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Hadn't intended to do this... but ended up sort of doing it by accident. Really wish I'd not done it on a 26er with full winter knobblies on though.

...and also that I hadn't done it somewhere so bloody hilly. :lol: