Forest of Dean ride & bivvy Weds 17th April

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

psling

Forest of Dean ride & bivvy Weds 17th April

Post by psling »

Reg (RIP) and myself are meeting up for Reg's April BAM in the Wye Valley and Forest of Dean.

The plan as it stands is that Reg will roll into the area by railway late evening Tuesday 16th April then ride with me early Wednesday17th April. Our route will involve a combination of tracks and quiet lanes and take in some of the industrial heritage of the Lower Wye Valley and Forest of Dean. This will involve a scenic 60km and 1350m of ascent and will involve cafes and pubs along the way and culminate in a bivvy at a secret location :wink: Thursday morning will see us take a leisurely ride to a café for breakfast and then wave Reg off at the railway station before the rest of us return to our Wednesday morning meeting place, approximately 25km or so via another café..

If anyone can tolerate mine and Reg's company on a (fairly) leisurely ride and can get leave for a midweek excursion then you are very welcome to join us :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
middleagedmadness

Re: Forest of Dean ride & bivvy Weds 17th April

Post by middleagedmadness »

Would love to join you guys but have some rather large plans the following week so have to give it a miss but anytime after July and I'm up for a mid week jaunt , :-bd
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

Sounds nice. I might be in the UK (or may not depending on opps here) but I would cycle over for this...great part of the world.

I should know my whereabouts about 2 weeks in advance...and will commit (or not) then if that's ok?
psling

Post by psling »

NorwayCalling wrote:Sounds nice. I might be in the UK (or may not depending on opps here) but I would cycle over for this...great part of the world.

I should know my whereabouts about 2 weeks in advance...and will commit (or not) then if that's ok?
Will be good to have you along if you can make it :-bd
(I owe you some gaffer tape after you helped me on a hillside near Bala at last year's WRT!)
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

psling wrote:
NorwayCalling wrote:Sounds nice. I might be in the UK (or may not depending on opps here) but I would cycle over for this...great part of the world.

Will be good to have you along if you can make it :-bd
(I owe you some gaffer tape after you helped me on a hillside near Bala at last year's WRT!)
LOL... no its ok, Im good for tape. But one thing that did teach me was...buy better gaffer tape :lol: :lol:
psling

Post by psling »

Bit more info (which may either encourage people to join us or put them off!)

My pace is about 8-10kph riding average so there will be no head down, pushing on. There are several café/pub/shop options along the way at regular(ish) intervals and the anticipated bivvy spot is within a mile of a pub that serves food that we will just happen to be passing :smile:
I shall be riding a HT (26" x 2.1" if you must know :wink: ) but I have ridden all the tracks and trails on a rim-braked cx bike ('gravel' bike :roll: ) over the years - just makes them a bit more, erm, 'interesting' :wink:

People with a mid-week pass could join us for just the ride on the Wednesday but it would be a great shame to miss out on a warm-up-for-the-WRT-bivvy on the Wednesday night with a gentle warm-down ride on Thursday morning :cool:
psling

Post by psling »

Well, ride completed :-bd

No-one suffered through lack of food or drink (approximately 50/50 riding/stopped excluding bivvy!!)
No-one had their photo taken by café owners for social meeja purposes (well, maybe all of us)
No-one got arrested (despite threats by a random female street vigilante)
No-one shared their sleeping bag with adders (despite warnings at our bivvy site)

Hopefully, ride report and possibly photos may appear on BAM or similar...
:cool:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Good summary there Peter :smile: . I had a fantastic time - thank you for showing me round your manor. Will bung up a BaM report this morning hopefully.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster