Another Winter Bivvy :)

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Another Winter Bivvy :)

Post by RIP »

Thanks Al. Hope they're brewing plenty of soup :smile:.

Al: Soup + steak
BDS: Broccoli & Stilton soup + Homemade Game and Cranberry Pie
MaM: scotch egg + turkey and pigs
'Reg': Broc & Stilton Soup + Chestnut Roast
SteveMorg: Broc n Stilton soup + Turkey n Pigs
TimBrownDog: Wild Mushroom Risotto with Parsnip Crisps and Walnut Oil + Roast Salop Turkey, Pigs in Blankets

Oh, I've checked. The pub doesn't do crisps apparently.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Al

Post by Al »

I’ve eaten in the Ragleth a couple of times before and the food was great with decent portions. Should be good.

Might make the climb up onto the mynd interesting afterwards!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

We'll pack some, maybe pickled onion Monster Munch?
May the bridges you burn light your way
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
We'll pack some, maybe pickled onion Monster Munch?
Can't beat roast beef flavour full of lovely adatives :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nah, 'course they do crisps, I'm just being frisky and bringing a frisson of tension to the cross-border 'rivalry' :smile:.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Are we re-enacting the Welsh / Anglo wars from the 1200s? I'll bring some bows :-bd
psling

Post by psling »

Puts me in mind of a Man album I have; the inside cover is a map of Wales being separated from England with clear water between the two countries :grin: [OK, you younger boners may need to be told that Man were a Merthyr based rock band from the 70s - those were the days when you could buy a holiday cottage in Wales and return after a day out to a real fire... :wink: ]
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

middleagedmadness

Love that picture^^^^^^^
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Tickles me somewhat that there's no portrayl of Glyndwr, the ancient capital of Wales or Welsh defeats of the English in battle, yet there appears to be lots of tourists who I presume may be English and a big helping of UK military shown. :wink:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yeah, that's ace that! Yet another design for yet another blasted T-shirt I reckon :lol:. That's presumably not the actual LP gatefold Stu, have you had it copied or summat? Can't quite make out what's on the map at your place, apart from a sign next to a waterfall - and what seems like an English rambler legging it away in an easterly direction as fast as possible! :smile:

So, back to the border skirmishing..... I'll dredge up that old law about the noble burghers of Chester being allowed to shoot any Welshmen (best not ask what happens to the ladies I guess) who are abroad after dark. If Stu's gonna keep bringing his bow along, we'll have the next bivvy within Chester walls and wait and see who shoots whom!

Re the Merthyr Man band, my lad lives in Cardiff but frequently travels to Merthyr (where his missus is an aspiring GP - she'll have a job for life in Merthyr what with all the issues and problems the poor old Merthyrites(?) have to contend with).. Anyway, he's recently started collecting the Taffywood mugs, and has got "Dial 'M' for Merthyr", and also "The Grapes of Roath" (where he lives). I think a much better one for Merthyr would have been "Merthyr Most Horrid" - nooo, sorry Merthyrites I'm joking. I'm quite fond of the place.
Last edited by RIP on Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Well, the wonders of tinternet. I've found a sort of interactive version of it! http://www.manband.co.uk/misc/wales.htm.. So, of course the waterfall is at Devil's Bridge - pathetic that I hadn't twigged that. Looks like just a load of rocks and water and barren wastes over your place Stu :wink:.

psling

Post by psling »

That's the badger Stu! Great stuff :-bd
Bearbonesnorm wrote:Tickles me somewhat that there's no portrayl of Glyndwr, the ancient capital of Wales or Welsh defeats of the English in battle, yet there appears to be lots of tourists who I presume may be English and a big helping of UK military shown. :wink:
I think the map may have been more inspired by lysergic acid than historical accuracy though :cool:

Good research Reg!
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Bloody hell, just spotted that they've even got the crowing of the Prince of Wales on there ... are you sure they weren't Brits pretending to be Welsh, just missing Land of Hope and Glory :wink:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

The character in the yellow shirt has a passing resemblance to Mike Hall. They knew he was coming.

Greetz

S.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Am away for a few days next week - BaM tramping in West Cumbria, Workington etc, yep I know how to find all the best salubrious spots/dumps :lol: - so a gentle prod here for you lot who originally showed interest, to pull yer fingers out and choose your nosh so we can book. Maybe all the talk about lack of crisps at the pub has put you off :smile:. Don't worry we get can a big box from the corner shop down the road.

Last edited by RIP on Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

psling

Post by psling »

RIP wrote:Am away for a few days next week - BaM tramping in West Cumbria, Workington etc, yep I know how to find all the best salubrious spots :lol:
Have a good trip. I was up there a couple of weeks ago. One ride I did was heading north through the Buttermere Valley and then through the lanes up to the Whinlatter Pass - the scenery was absolutely stunning (OK, I did give Workington a miss :cool: )
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

BaM tramping in West Cumbria, Workington
Ah, Workington - the place of my birth. Reg, do pop into the Workington Workingman's Club on Station Road. My mother was a barmaid in there in the mid 1960s. I visited in 2002. Just for a second. I still have the smell in my nostrils ............... Actually, stay well clear of it.
I'm just going outside ...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Thanks Peter. Yeah Buttermere's WAY too scenic :grin:. No plan at the moment. Well I tell a lie, the plan is to catch the 13.13 from Milton Keynes to Carlisle and the 17.45 down the coast. Maybe get off at Maryport and bike down through all the dodgy areas (maybe see if I can find Tim's birthplace and bivi there in homage :smile:). Maybe train it a bit further down the coast until I like the look of something, or more interestingly until I don't like the look of something.

Blimey Tim, amazing! I will definitely have to pop in at t'Club. "Mother barmaid in 60s". Would have been a great time to be there - steelworks and mines all still open, the lethal Marchon chemical works at Whitehaven, lot of shipping etc. A very very interesting area anyway.

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

I might be able to make this one.

A couple of questions please.
Is this meal to be had before you/we set off on on the Sunday return?
What time on the Saturday are you thinking of leaving the pub?

If It's Saturday I doubt I could ride hard after this amount of food, how long are you planning to ride to the bivi spot?

Cheers
Al

Post by Al »

If it’s the spot on the mynd I think 4 miles ish with a steady climb
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nice one John. It's MaM's manor so best he chips in, but I believe most/some of us are meeting at Church Stretton sort of Sat lunchtime-ish (lunch in Stretton?), then an afternoon ride over the Mynd (round and down to Bridges and back or something MaM?), then pub at 6-7pm? This meal we're on about that evening, then I think it is "up" onto the Mynd again for bivvying. MaM reckons he's getting there at 2am but there's no real reason not to have different pub departure times. Maybe whoever leaves first bags the best spot? Sunday morning trot a few miles back down and second breakfast in Church Stretton then off home whenever people fancy. So yes the question is where is this bivi spot, and how "up" is it after ten pints of lager and five packets of avocado-flavour crisps? :wink: . MaM, could you PM me the spot please? I think I've guessed but am probably wrong! :smile:.

middleagedmadness

Yep Al's got it ,it's 4 mile steady climb takes me normally after food and beer 35-40mins weaving over the road ,it's not that bad john plus if your desperate there's a few cheeky spots on the way up at the side of double track ,food is on Saturday night after about 30 mile round the mynd and stipperstones
middleagedmadness

Sent you a email reg ,just looked at the Strava it's around 850ft over 4 mile from pub to sleepy spot
RIP

Post by RIP »

Cheers chap, got it. Well it's 75m lower than I thought so that's good :smile:. And there's a stream for our brews so that's good too. Johnners, I reckon 195m up and 4 miles away as Stu says. Couple of beers and you won't notice that.