Scottish Winter Bivvy.

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Alan63

Re: Scottish Winter Bivvy.

Post by Alan63 »

Ray Young wrote:Sorry people, I've got man flu so won't be able to join you this year, :cry: .
Sorry you're not going to make it Ray. Hope you get better soon.
BaM 2021
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Alan63 wrote:
Ray Young wrote:Sorry people, I've got man flu so won't be able to join you this year, :cry: .
Sorry you're not going to make it Ray. Hope you get better soon.
Thanks. Definitely miffed about missing it, would have been the eighth in a row if I'd made it.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

It just gets better..
There is a risk of snow developing with strong southeasterly winds affecting northern UK on Saturday afternoon into Sunday morning. The snow could be heavy at times, especially over hills where blizzards may develop, and is likely to drift in strong winds. Across northern England and southern Scotland, snow may turn to freezing rain above 200-300 metres leading to widespread ice developing on Saturday night.

2-5 cm of snow is likely at lower levels, whilst higher ground could see 10-20 cm.: Possible travel delays on roads stranding some vehicles and passengers, Possible delays or cancellations to rail and air travel, Some rural communities could become cut off, Power cuts may occur and other services, such as mobile phone coverage, may be affected, A chance of injuries from slips and falls on icy surfaces, Bus and train services may be delayed or cancelled, with some road closures and longer journey times possible, Untreated pavements and cycle paths might be impassable because of black ice
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Ooft. That might make for an interesting drive up...
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

ScotRoutes wrote:It just gets better..
There is a risk of snow developing with strong southeasterly winds affecting northern UK on Saturday afternoon into Sunday morning. The snow could be heavy at times, especially over hills where blizzards may develop, and is likely to drift in strong winds. Across northern England and southern Scotland, snow may turn to freezing rain above 200-300 metres leading to widespread ice developing on Saturday night.

2-5 cm of snow is likely at lower levels, whilst higher ground could see 10-20 cm.: Possible travel delays on roads stranding some vehicles and passengers, Possible delays or cancellations to rail and air travel, Some rural communities could become cut off, Power cuts may occur and other services, such as mobile phone coverage, may be affected, A chance of injuries from slips and falls on icy surfaces, Bus and train services may be delayed or cancelled, with some road closures and longer journey times possible, Untreated pavements and cycle paths might be impassable because of black ice
AlasdairMc wrote:Ooft. That might make for an interesting drive up...

From the Mountain Weather Forecast: Southeasterly 45 to locally 70 mph. Very varied over short distances. Sudden gusts some lower slopes. Extensively very difficult walking conditions indeed. You could be blown over even on lower slopes in sudden ferocious gusts. Severe wind chill. May make for some interesting cycling as well!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

AlasdairMc wrote:Ooft. That might make for an interesting drive up...
Or down...
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Blair512 wrote:May make for some interesting cycling as well!
Hence the fat bike...
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

AlasdairMc wrote:
Blair512 wrote:May make for some interesting cycling as well!
Hence the fat bike...
I only have plus :|
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Cool
As long as we can get to Dalwhinnie it should be good. Sunday looks OK so nay probs getting home.....
any idea what time you'll hit the pub in Newtonmore?
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

At a guess maybe 4ish. It’s 20km from Dalwhinnie to Newtonmore but pace will depend on a number of factors. When do you think you’ll be up?
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Are we still planning a pub stop at the Glen hotel in Newtonmore? I think I'll set off fairly early to miss the worst of the snow, may head straight to Newtonmore if the weather is really shitty but hoping it's not as bad as it's being made out.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I thought Newtonmore was drink and food? Assuming that, what time do folk expect to leave for the bothy?

I'm waiting to see what the weather brings before deciding how far to ride. Nothing of my route down is particularly exposed, though the headwind will still be a pain and I can only pray we don't have last years snowfall.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

ScotRoutes wrote:I thought Newtonmore was drink and food? Assuming that, what time do folk expect to leave for the bothy?

I'm waiting to see what the weather brings before deciding how far to ride. Nothing of my route down is particularly exposed, though the headwind will still be a pain and I can only pray we don't have last years snowfall.
Assuming Alasdair's guess of 4 o'clock at Newtonmore do we say leaving from there around 5:30/6 to head to the bothy? Route to be decided depending on conditions
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Sounds like a plan. There are 3 potential routes.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

ScotRoutes wrote:Sounds like a plan. There are 3 potential routes.
The ones you mentioned earlier in the thread? I'm just plotting them into my garmin just now if so. Looking forward to this so long as the snow doesn't get to mental! :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

htrider wrote: Could be a chilly one but doesn't look like a snowy epic is on the cards :cry:
Ha Ha Ha
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Regretfully my cold is getting worse instead of better so definitely a no show for me tomorrow. Thanks for the offer of a lift Alisdair and you all have a good time now.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Ray Young wrote:Regretfully my cold is getting worse instead of better so definitely a no show for me tomorrow. Thanks for the offer of a lift Alisdair and you all have a good time now.
Sorry to hear that Ray, hope you feel better soon
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Today I tried to start my van. It didn’t.

Hopefully all will be well by tomorrow...
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

Folks, I'm calling off too. Don't think taking an 11 year old out in the conditions forecast would be a good idea. We'll definitely be joining you in better conditions. Enjoy the weekend.
BaM 2021
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Alan - I’m sure we can make the logistics work if you want to start from Kingussie or Newtonmore, or shuttle as close to the bothy as possible.

On my part I’ve got the AA guy arriving shortly so I’m still hopeful that I’ll be along tomorrow.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

AlasdairMc wrote:Alan - I’m sure we can make the logistics work if you want to start from Kingussie or Newtonmore, or shuttle as close to the bothy as possible.
Yep - it's an easy 8km from the Glen to the bothy via the shortest route - most of that on tarmac.
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

ScotRoutes wrote:
AlasdairMc wrote:Alan - I’m sure we can make the logistics work if you want to start from Kingussie or Newtonmore, or shuttle as close to the bothy as possible.
Yep - it's an easy 8km from the Glen to the bothy via the shortest route - most of that on tarmac.
Thanks for the kind thoughts Alasdair and Colin. We've had a chat about calling off and Fraser understands why. Hopefully we can meet up another time.
BaM 2021
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Alan63 wrote:
ScotRoutes wrote:
Thanks for the kind thoughts Alasdair and Colin. We've had a chat about calling off and Fraser understands why. Hopefully we can meet up another time.
I'm definitely up for that. I'm hoping to do a bit more roaming around next year anyway.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Roll Call

AlasdairMc (if the van starts :lol: )
htrider +2
Blair512
jamiep
oakesme
ScotRoutes

I'm sure we should all fit in the bothy.
Last edited by ScotRoutes on Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.