Scottish Winter Bivvy.

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Blair512

Re: Scottish Winter Bivvy.

Post by Blair512 »

I'm in, it would be terribly rude to set you a route and not turn up to find out how sub standard it is! :lol:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

My only thought was the bit after Newtonmore - Colin have you done this? Depending on how the pub goes we could just cut straight up to the Bothy via the wee dead end road alongside the A9
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

htrider wrote:My only thought was the bit after Newtonmore - Colin have you done this? Depending on how the pub goes we could just cut straight up to the Bothy via the wee dead end road alongside the A9
You mean skip the bit between Newtonmore & Kingussie? Happy to go along with that if it's a rubbish bit of track, I plotted it on bike hike while drinking beer!
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

Blair512 wrote:
htrider wrote:My only thought was the bit after Newtonmore - Colin have you done this? Depending on how the pub goes we could just cut straight up to the Bothy via the wee dead end road alongside the A9
You mean skip the bit between Newtonmore & Kingussie? Happy to go along with that if it's a rubbish bit of track, I plotted it on bike hike while drinking beer!
We're probably arriving in Kingussie on the train. We could pedal down to meet you if we could work out a rough time.
BaM 2021
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've no idea what that track out of Newtonmore is like, although the most common word on the OS 1:25k of the area is "Ford" so I can sort of guess :wink:

Newtonmore to Kingussie does have a lovely cycle track parallel to the A86, so use that, then to Ruthven and then in?
(Note that the route actually goes under the A9 at NN 75670 99356 then crosses is at NN 75211 99075)

I guess it depends on whether the pub stop is Newtonmore or Kingussie. Odds are that I would cycle from home, so passing Kingussie en route to Newtonmore.

I've no idea about the track past Loch Cuaich either. I've only ever walked up it to do the munro
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Hmm, call me boring but trying out a new and possibly dodgy trail in the dark after a few beers is maybe not the best way to have a pleasant evenings bike ride....
Lets call it on the day, but I'm inclined towards Colins suggestion!

Pubwise the Glen hotel (by the junction of the B9150 and the A86) was the place I was in the last time I was at Newtonmore - good food and ales as I recall.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

I’ve been on those tracks north of Newtonmore. I’d describe them as slop fests with an unhealthy dose of cow sub standard.
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

I think using the Strone road might work better. It has been a few years since I was there tbh.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I’m still in too. Happy with any venue, but will take a tent anyway.

Has anyone got any experience of any of the bothies on the Dulnain?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Colins yer man there Alasdair, drop him a PM :wink:
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I won't manage a coal drop this year so if you can fit it in bring a fire log with you (you know, the compressed paper ones, couple of quid at b&q). Thanks.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

I was just considering this today, I may wrap a couple up with cling film and strap one to each anything cage, don't think there'll be owt else in them
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Ray Young wrote:I won't manage a coal drop this year so if you can fit it in bring a fire log with you (you know, the compressed paper ones, couple of quid at b&q). Thanks.
If we’re stopping in either Kingussie or Newtonmore, it might be worth stocking up on fuel there as the bothy really isn’t far from there. I’ll bring a 30l rucksack with lots of space in it for that very purpose.

Can I get a show of hands for those wanting a lift? I have Blair and Ray already, anyone else?
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

I'm going to make my own way up I think Alasdair, I'm Fife bound on the Sunday so it'll save me getting on a train full of Christmas market goers! What time are we thinking for meeting up?
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Blair512 wrote:I'm going to make my own way up I think Alasdair, I'm Fife bound on the Sunday so it'll save me getting on a train full of Christmas market goers! What time are we thinking for meeting up?
Your choice, I can pick you up en route and drop you in the kingdom on the Sunday if that’s any easier for you. Basically I can go either M9 or M90 to Perth so it’s no bother for me. Unsure about time to meet, I think if Alan is on the train we’ll work around that.
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

I'll now be coming and would appreciate a lift, Alasdair :-bd
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

AlasdairMc wrote:
Blair512 wrote:I'm going to make my own way up I think Alasdair, I'm Fife bound on the Sunday so it'll save me getting on a train full of Christmas market goers! What time are we thinking for meeting up?
Your choice, I can pick you up en route and drop you in the kingdom on the Sunday if that’s any easier for you. Basically I can go either M9 or M90 to Perth so it’s no bother for me. Unsure about time to meet, I think if Alan is on the train we’ll work around that.
Very kind Alasdair but I'm on holiday on the Monday so I may do some riding in Fife before driving home . Re fuel I've got a wee packable backpack I got in Decathlon, I'll stick it in my frame bag in case we're able to grab something on route.
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

AlasdairMc wrote:
Have given up trying to book the train. Will be driving instead. Junior wants to set off from Newtonmore although I'm gently trying to persuade him to ride with the bunch from Dalwhinne. Happy to go with the flow re meeting times.
BaM 2021
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Alasdair, what time you thinking of leaving Edinburgh?
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Haven't a clue - I'm completely flexible. How long do we anticipate the ride taking? Just work backwards from there I reckon.

Maybe aim to finish ride to Kingussie by 5 so we've got time to refuel, then travel with lights to the bothy? Working backwards, 3hrs to do Blair's route (with or without the boggy bit), so perhaps leave Edinburgh around 11:30, meet at Dalwhinnie at 2?

Or are we eating in Newtonmore and then heading to the bothy from there?
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Meeting there at 2 sounds good to me, I had planned to eat in the bothy later on and just have a couple of beers in town. Perhaps we can evaluate the situation once we reach Newtonmore and decide where to go although it sounds like the boggy bit might be a bit miserable.
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

FWIW my plan is to give junior his tea in Newtonmore/Kingussie then get a snack when we get to the bothy. Saves his old dad carrying loads of grub :-bd . We will probably ride the bikepath from Newtonmore to Kingussie. Happy to meet up in either location.
BaM 2021
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

As promised I took a trip in to the bothy today. All looking good. I also took in a bag of coal - now stashed in the wee attic in a couple of panniers(here's hoping nobody gets too nosey in the next 10 days or so).

On the way round I rode the Loch Gynack track between Kingussie and Newtonmore. Apart from two short muddy sections (completely frozen over at todays - 4c) it could all be done on a cross /gravel bike so it's an option. Be aware that there is a short diversion at the East end of the Loch to avoid Pitmain Lodge.

Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

:-bd .
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Nice one Colin
My plans are to get there late ish (hopefully get to the pub though) and leave sharpish in the morning as I have an afternoon commitment so may even drive to Newtonmore....
Could be a chilly one but doesn't look like a snowy epic is on the cards :cry: