Scottish Winter Bivvy.

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Scottish Winter Bivvy.

Post by Ray Young »

Same date as the Welsh, Sat 15 December. It will however be a bothy and not a bivvy. Was wondering about -
Rowcoish on Loch Lomond but it may be busy.
Burleywhag near Moffat.
A raid into England at Kershopehead near Kielder village.
Allt Scheicheachan near Blair Atholl.

Thoughts please.
AlasdairMc

Re: Scottish Winter Bivvy.

Post by AlasdairMc »

I'm in.

I now have a van so no need to worry about transportation. I can take 3 others easily, or a fourth if we take wheels off etc.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

AlasdairMc wrote:I'm in.

I now have a van so no need to worry about transportation. I can take 3 others easily, or a fourth if we take wheels off etc.
:-bd

I usually get the lend of a van from a friend but that may not be possible this year so I'll take you up on that Alasdair. If you run out of space then I could probably get use of the wife's car and take someone else too.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Metalheart and I were discussing winter bivvy/bothy spots yesterday. It's likely I'll arrange something at this end of the country.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

ScotRoutes wrote:Metalheart and I were discussing winter bivvy/bothy spots yesterday. It's likely I'll arrange something at this end of the country.
:-bd .
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I'm in - Central Highlands for a Lowlander / highlander meet up?
Alt shiecheachan is a bit popular and small - hows about the one on Comyns road a bit further west.
Or the one near to Newtonmore??
Failing that a borders raid works for me too.
ripio

Post by ripio »

Remember that MBA policy is to discourage groups of 6 or more without the owners' permission.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Phil, I gather they're not MBA bothies. Can you pm me their location please.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

I'm in whatever the plans are! :-bd Rowcoish is apparently just a straight up party bothy at the weekends, if we're looking for something in that area how about Mark Cottage? We could cycle in the Long way from Trabert via Lochgoylehead?

Alasdair a lift in the van would be good but if you're fully subsribed I can try to get the works van.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

OK. So Rowcoish and Allt Schiecheahan are out and Mark Cottage in.
Phil, the only reference I could find on the net to Newtonmore was to say it was either a tatty tin hut full of sheep poo or now non existent but it as an old reference so am I looking at the wrong place?
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Taylor wrote:Think he means this one,
https://m.geograph.org.uk/photo/2228733
That looks a bit more welcoming, :-bd .
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Yup
PM on the way. Good point about group size but I'm guessing we'll be fine if we bring tarps / tents
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

Hoping to come along too. May bring junior now he has the taste of bothy life. Will PM you Ray.
BaM 2021
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

How about something like this? https://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=ryreagmtmbcunqje

Park at Dalwhinnie, potential resupply (read pints) in Newtonmore or Kingussie, overnight stop at Phil's suggested bothy (if I've placed it correctly?) and then a shorter route back to the vans in the morning. Also means people can travel up or down by train to meet at the start point. Happy to be corrected as I've never ridden in the area, I'm just bored and looking at maps!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Looks good Blair, the trail above Newtonmore to Kingussie is a new one on me so could be interesting! Dalwhinnie is easy to get to and plenty parking by the garage
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Looks good Blair, i'll back that. Any naysayers or other suggestions?
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

We'll probably be on the train to Kingussie. We can dip in and out of Blair's route and hopefully meet up on the way.
BaM 2021
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Blair512 wrote:How about something like this? https://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=ryreagmtmbcunqje

Park at Dalwhinnie, potential resupply (read pints) in Newtonmore or Kingussie, overnight stop at Phil's suggested bothy (if I've placed it correctly?) and then a shorter route back to the vans in the morning. Also means people can travel up or down by train to meet at the start point. Happy to be corrected as I've never ridden in the area, I'm just bored and looking at maps!
With just over six weeks to go and no other suggestions or naysayers I've decided this is it. If it all goes horribly wrong then I can lay the blame squarely on Blair, :wink: , :lol: .
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Assuming we don't have last years snowpocalypse I'll likely ride down from home to the refreshment stop and thence to the bothy.

I'll take a ride or walk in between now and then too, just to check it out.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

ScotRoutes wrote:I'll take a ride or walk in between now and then too, just to check it out.
Much appreciated, :-bd .
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Ray Young wrote:
Blair512 wrote:How about something like this? https://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=ryreagmtmbcunqje

With just over six weeks to go and no other suggestions or naysayers I've decided this is it. If it all goes horribly wrong then I can lay the blame squarely on Blair, :wink: , :lol: .
Err, either everyone's busy, everyone's not coming or no one likes it as I was expecting some definite "I'm in" responses. So, who's up for it?
So far me n Scotroutes, :grin: .
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I'm in (it will be my December Bam so nae choice!). Works xmas night out the night before however so a late start is likely....
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Also thinking this will be December BAM

I might have company too
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

Junior and I are in. We're (patiently) waiting on the winter train timetable to be released to know our exact plans.
BaM 2021