Grøavelling in Cataluña

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pistonbroke

Grøavelling in Cataluña

Post by pistonbroke »

Short notice I know but I'm doing a trip from Reus (Tarragona) to Girona, starting Sat 4th of Aug and finishing Wed 8th. Around 120km per day with plenty of climbing up to a max of 1,700m. Mainly gravel and quiet lanes, no rocky steep stuff, aiming to replicate the TNR type of thing. Decent level of fitness req and will be suitable for lightweight packing as weather should be good. Flights can be had for €100 return plus bike. Let me know asap if interested.
Richard G

Re: Grøavelling in Cataluña

Post by Richard G »

I'm in, but you already knew that. :lol:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

How cold are the overnights there? Just wondering what I should pack for sleeping.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Not cold at all, nighttime temps have been in the early 20's for the last few weeks. It'd be sensible to bring a bivvy bag with mozzie net as this is the main issue at the moment. I'll pm you my email so we can discuss the details.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Looking like just us. I hope you're not the murdering type...
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

No I'm not particularly murdery :-bd I've planned the first 3 days now. We ride straight from the airport 50km to the refugio at 800m up in the Montanyes de Prades. Day 2 takes us north east to the Monestery of Montserrat, 130km with 2,500m of climbing. Day 3 gets hillier and finishes 1,000m up in the Montseny mountains, another 130km and 3,800m uphill. There are some decent sections of gravel trail but it's mainly quiet lanes with a mixed surface. I'd recommend using semi slick tyres, anything grippier is going to be draggy on the road.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

He may not be murdery but pitch your tent out of earshot or you may become murdery
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Everything has been fine since the operation although Mrs PB was a little hesitant about having her ears sealed up. All was fine after I explained that it wouldn't affect our relationship as she never took any notice of anything I said anyway.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I've pretty much got Ikons as my only option. Do they count as semi slick?

If it turns out to be relatively hard... well, that's sort of the point no? :cool:

Edit - Actually, tell a lie... I think I have a Crossmark 2 somewhere, though no idea if that would go on the front or back when paired with an Ikon.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Ikons are fine, they were my choice on the C2C ride in May and work well on dry trails.