Trans Cambrian Way

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Blue Wheeler

Trans Cambrian Way

Post by Blue Wheeler »

Planning a week or so of cross country/downhill/bike packing (not all on the same bike) :smile:

I'm spending a day riding Forest of Dean then a day at Bike Park Wales. If I survive the downhill mayhem I'm heading to over for a short overnighter on the Gower Loop http://www.bikepacking.com/routes/gower ... king-loop/
then pressing onto Shropshire for the start of the Trans Cambrian Way http://www.bikepacking.com/routes/trans-cambrian-way/on July 14th. Been looking forward to doing this for a long time :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Trans Cambrian Way

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Have you considered doing it backwards? Dyfi junction is a total anti-climax, there's nowt there. Knighton has shops and feels more like a destination.

Also, W to E will likely put the wind at your back and remove the draggy grassy climbs out of Knighton.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Have you considered doing it backwards? Dyfi junction is a total anti-climax, there's nowt there. Knighton has shops and feels more like a destination.

Also, W to E will likely put the wind at your back and remove the draggy grassy climbs out of Knighton.
Seconded. I really recommend last train to junction and bivy at station for early start. Worked a treat for me
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Blue Wheeler

Post by Blue Wheeler »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Have you considered doing it backwards? Dyfi junction is a total anti-climax, there's nowt there. Knighton has shops and feels more like a destination.

Hmmm ... hadn't considered it TBH. I've got the maps from IMBA UK and the directions start at Knighton.... shouldn't be a probem reversing it though thanks for the tip
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The only downside to a W-E run is Foel Fadian but it's pretty short lived and near enough to the start that you'll have fresh legs.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Nutsnut

Post by Nutsnut »

West to east does sound better, though i love the foel fadin descent on my cross bike :-) and the climb out of Knighton isn't that bad either.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I did it early last year when it was very wet :sad: http://bobwightman.blogspot.com/search/ ... s-cambrian If the ground conditions are anything like they are round here then I'd seriously consider a full suspension bike as hoof marks, etc. are rough as to ride over.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry