GT24 - 23rd June

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

AlasdairMc

GT24 - 23rd June

Post by AlasdairMc »

This time the GT24 is Southbound, so a 7am start at the Kessock shore in Inverness, with the target being Glasgow. About 185 miles all in, covering the high route of the Great Glen Way, and then the West Highland Way from Fort William.

Anyone interested?
robbie

Re: GT24 - 23rd June

Post by robbie »

How long did this take u the last time Alasdair?
I see the early train dosn't get in till nearly 8 am unfortunately.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

We did it in a touch over 31hrs last time. Fatigue really hit on the GGW so a few catnaps were had. We’re taking the train up on Friday night and staying in a hostel.
robbie

Post by robbie »

Alasdair
Is there any gpx files for this? I might try and start later than you guys as unfortunately I cant get up on the Friday night. How far is the start from the train station?
Cheers
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Just sent you a link to it - hope it works
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Wish I'd known about this earlier - sounds like a great way to spend the solstice weekend.

As the Assos people say, have a good ride!

Thinking I'll probably ride the Dorset Gravel Dash route, as an overnighter - much easier for me to cuff at the last minute.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

So 6 expressions of interest became 4 starters, became 3 finishers.

Ed Wolstenholme got the unsupported record with a 25:11 finish, with Martin (macskive on here) and I coming in at 31:06. Tough going, especially the Loch Lomond carry which was commenced with 20hrs on the clock. Luckily we waited long enough for it to get light before we set off, taking a powernap before the start of the bad stuff. Sadly the powernap was only a temporary remedy, so a couple more were taken on our way to Glasgow.

Overall, I really enjoyed it this year, and the GGW was quite fun (albeit the high level bits) when not fatigued with 140-odd miles on the clock.

190 miles, and 5700m of ascent.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Well done Alistair. I think its the north section of the Loch Lomondside bit that puts me off doing this....
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

htrider wrote:Well done Alistair. I think its the north section of the Loch Lomondside bit that puts me off doing this....
Thanks Phil. It’s pretty brutal, but so much easier done with fresh legs and daylight. I haven’t inspected the anticipated scrapes all over my bike yet...