2018 Borders 350/Borders 220 group start, register now.

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Re: 2018 Borders 350/Borders 220 group start, register now.

Post by Ray Young »

htrider wrote:Ray, just been doing some route homework - the section between Bedrule and denholm has a vague bit between Dykesglen wood and Spittal tower - is this obvious on the ground or is it a case of following your nose?
Hi Phil, Howard has it spot on. As you enter the field from the wood follow the right side of the field until the house/fence then turn left to follow the fence to a gate. Don't cross the fence, keep it on your right and don't be tempted by the horse gallop, the gate/path you want is just a little further on and I think it has a signpost but could be wrong about that.
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

I had big problems there, almost going round in circles until I realised the Dakota had frozen - just the worst place to freeze maybe it too got confused...
I ended up on that horse trot thingy, sawdust, worse than riding through sand
Had to do a ‘hard reset’ of the Dakota... :mrgreen:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Cheers chaps, hadn't realised that bit was still on the BA way. All makes sense now!
Howard

Post by Howard »

pushbikemike wrote:Peebles now has a Greggs and a Costa. Opening times are 7.00am/7.30am.
My feeding strategy requires a second breakfast at Greggs before rolling along to the start.

Phill - how’s the knee?
Howard

Post by Howard »

...actually just checked Gregg's website and it says they don't open till 8am on Saturday? The Costa website says they open at 7am.... They are opposite each other so hopefully get something! :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

'Fraid I'm out - knee needs some TLC (cartilage behind knee cap a bit iffy). Doing various stretches and strengthening stuff and OK to keep biking but not 350 miles and 39000ft climbing....
Have a good one folks. :-bd
Howard

Post by Howard »

htrider wrote:'Fraid I'm out - knee needs some TLC (cartilage behind knee cap a bit iffy). Doing various stretches and strengthening stuff and OK to keep biking but not 350 miles and 39000ft climbing....
Have a good one folks. :-bd
Sorry to hear that :sad: but a sensible decision. My rib now feels 99% so I'm going to start, but I know it's potentially only one silly slip away from having to scratch. I re-read Ray's account of his completion and how he suffered from tendinitis. The things we do for fun :roll:
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Bad news Phil, hope you get sorted out soon.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Funnily enough I re-read Rays account the other day and thought 'man up and do it' but to be honest I'd almost certainly do a repeat of last year - bash round the first 85miles, start day 2 feeling the pain (last year was my back but I know this year would be the knee) and bail at the same point in the middle of Craik forest back to Peebles.

Whats particularly frustrating is that the HAB from Fruid to Moffat will be bone dry - a never to be repeated situation.....
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Good luck to all starting tomorrow, I was hoping to ride the 220 but some much needed family time is required after a shitty couple of months. There'll be other years!
ollie5882

Post by ollie5882 »

Good luck to all headed up to Peebles - I'm another one who's made my excuses already so will be dot watching instead :cry: Enjoy the dry and dusty trails (also very frustrated to be missing them!) and happy riding!

Ollie

P.S. Obviously drink lots given the weather but seeing as two (out of three) of us got "gippy tummys" on the first day I'd suggest you take (extra) care where you get it form until you're past Moffat...
Howard

Post by Howard »

ollie5882 wrote:Good luck to all headed up to Peebles - I'm another one who's made my excuses already so will be dot watching instead :cry: Enjoy the dry and dusty trails (also very frustrated to be missing them!) and happy riding!

Ollie

P.S. Obviously drink lots given the weather but seeing as two (out of three) of us got "gippy tummys" on the first day I'd suggest you take (extra) care where you get it form until you're past Moffat...
Thanks - quite worried about the water given what happened to Huw in the HT550 - and the fact that there has been a regular smell of dead animals whenever I've been up in the hills this summer. Plan is to carry way more than I usually do which will just make me slower and work harder!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Weather looking good - scorchio for tomorrow and sunday then cooler and some dreich thereafter. Wind wise looks like southwesterleys over the weekend then easterlies, so if you time it right you'll have a tailwind from Moffat back to Peebles!
Good luck and look forward to the tales
ollie5882

Post by ollie5882 »

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm jealous not to be there I could think that I'm enjoying watching others riding this more that riding it myself! Great going by everyone. I think the 3 leaders on the 350 have just got to the bit that probably broke me mentally last year so hoping that they're feeling better than I was at that point! :-bd