Spanish C2C 2018 Hands Up Who's In?

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pistonbroke

Spanish C2C 2018 Hands Up Who's In?

Post by pistonbroke »

As promised, with just over 3 months to go to the Partida Grande on the 11th of May, I'd like to gather together a fairly definitive list of who is coming this year. Since DaveB's write up appeared in the CycleUK mag, I've had a number of emails expressing keenness to come, as well as a few messages on here. As usual getting time off, pass outs etc is an issue but I also need to know rough numbers to work on the logistical issues involved.
If you've read the reports on last year, http://phased.co.uk/musings-on-a-spanis ... -to-coast/you will have gleaned that the itinerary was fairly front loaded with most of the long days and climbing in the first 3 days. I have rejigged the camp locations to smooth this out as much as possible and also improved the run into Bilbao to avoid the traffic, ending at the seaside very near where Mike and Hux finished.
I'd like to get a full day of riding in on the 11th of May and finish on Saturday 19th in the afternoon, allowing for a bit of r&r before Sunday flights back. I've collated a list of flight options from various UK airports so if you can let me know where you are coming from, I'll give you some pointers.
As last year, MrsPB will take bike boxes from the start to the finish so 1 less thing to worry about.
Don't be shy, it's a great trip.
Cheers
Duncan
Chew

Re: Spanish C2C 2018 Hands Up Who's In?

Post by Chew »

Pretty much 95% of the way on this Duncan.

I'll drop you a note of my email :-bd
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Was hoping to make this, but sadly the dates conflict with a few other events I've already committed to - Jenn Ride followed by a BC MBL course... Another time!
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Aye, shame about the dates otherwise I’d be greatly interested in this..
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Shame people didn't respond when I offered a choice of dates back in November, afaik no-one has actually committed to booking flights or if they have they've been quiet about it. If anyone has a 9 day window between mid April and the end of June that they'd rather come, I'd be happy to look at it.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You'll never pick the 'right' date Duncan. Whatever you pick will always clash with another event / holiday / hair appointment. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Seems the saying "If you build it, they will come" isn't sufficient these days. I can't believe that even in the gig economy that obtains in 21st century Britain, people are so chaotic as to not be able to book a week's holiday in May. Stu, you know more than most, that these trips don't just happen, it's a constant process of refinement and improvement, making sure the less ideal aspects of the previous event are eliminated whilst still retaining the adventure of the trip. I really want to keep this trip going year on year but it's dependant on support and commitment from 'Boners. Maybe I've cast my net too narrowly just advertising it on the forum but one of my biggest fears is that someone turns up at the start on a Pinarello with a credit card or a tourer with 60kg of panniers.
So I'll put this in capitals for the hard of thinking.
I NEED A FIRM NUMBER OF AT LEAST 5 RIDERS TO MAKE THIS HAPPEN. AN ALTERNATIVE DATE IS AVAILABLE IF ENOUGH PEOPLE PREFER. IF NOTHING HAPPENS BY THE END OF NEXT WEEK, IT'S OFF.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You can't say any fairer than that Duncan.
but one of my biggest fears is that someone turns up at the start on a Pinarello with a credit card or a tourer with 60kg of panniers.
'Not crowded and the right crowd' as they used to say at Brooklands when I were a girl.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Cheers Stu, appreciate your comments. Seems a long time ago that I turned up to the 2nd WRT with the map folded up in a sealed bag and said I was planning to get all the checkpoints from memory. Your comment that I'd be another customer for mountain rescue set us off on the right foot. I'll gloss over that the first night's "bivvy" was in my static caravan in Devils Bridge!
My somewhat tetchy comment about getting replies by the end of next week is to be fair to those who can commit and book flights, obviously I'll run the trip if this is the case but a group ride is a much nicer social experience.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Although difficult, I think you also need to bear in mind that it's your baby. You are invested. It's something that will take up much of your time and thoughts ... but other people aren't.

WTF do I bother? Is it worth it? etc, etc are a natural part of the process but as long as you're 'doing it' for the right reasons (which I wholly believe you are), then it'll always be worth it ... someone please remind me of this comment at the start of Oct' :wink:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Duncan have you started shouting at people before a pedal's even been turned? :lol: :lol: :lol:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Shouting? Me? No, more a gentle cajoling :grin:
Sometimes, especially in Spain, you have to take the bull by the horns.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Just a thought...but perhaps the thought of pannier-bearing CTC riders is shaking some people off?

As for me, I'm not sure I can swing Spain and then Trans-Washington back-to-back and still get time off for TNR#3. Still working on people/timing/budgets.

Greetz

S.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Scott, all the respondents from the CycleUk article have received a detailled reply with the requirement to be travelling light and on suitable bikes, I've pointed them in the direction of the BB site for tips and I'm pretty sure they know what to expect. To be fair there was a fairly wide range of experience on last year's ride and it seemed to gel together well. Panniers will be out, not sure about electric pumps though :roll:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Fair cop. Then at the other end of the spectrum, perhaps the wanting are not willing to sleep in olive groves, under sprinklers or with canyon-bred boar?

It doesn't matter to me...I'd still be the fat bastard at the back. :)

Greetz

S.
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

The dates suit me. I'm still interested, still apprehensive about being veggie and not liking eggs.

Edit: will the route be possible on a cx bike?
Edit2: fly from/to Edinburgh
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Jaimie, I'll start with the easiest one, Ryanair fly to Barcelona from Edinburgh, you'll need to come the day before ie 10th to start on the Friday morning. Return on the 20th from Bilbao with Easyjet.
Riding a CX bike, depends what sort, if it's a full on racer with 30mm tyres, fragile wheels and 36x28 lowest gear then I'd say you'll struggle, I'd want a 34x36 bottom gear for fully loaded riding. Spanish gravel roads are fairly bumpy but based on last year, there were several sections where you'll be fine. Maybe others that rode last year could comment.
Re veggie options, I'd say all the cafes and restaurants we ate in offered salad, cheese and pasta options but as none of us last year were vegetarians, I cannot say if the menu was extensive.
Hope this helps.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I'd say it's rideable on a CX. I'd probably put the biggest tyres I could fit on. If you could get something like a 44mm Nano on you'd be fine.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

OK, we're in business, thanks to the responses of CycleUK readers, I have reached the number of riders that makes the trip worthwhile. I have had a considerable amount of email chat with the riders who have booked flights and am confident that they understand the nature of the trip and will turn up suitably equipped. So, if there are any on here who are sitting on their hands waiting for confirmation to book travel, fear not, the trip is definitely on. For info, most people are travelling the day before like last year, but are arriving early enough to get to Tarragona mid afternoon. I'm looking at a cheap hotel in the city, obviously if you want to be included in the booking, let me know.
Now to get some training done.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Now to get some training done.
I assume you've told the unsuspecting CycleUK readers, you're gonna beast 'em to near death? :wink:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I had an afternoon ride with Lee Craigie a few days ago, I was definitely the one getting the beasting. Also it's poor form for the guide to be the weakest link.
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

Please could you confirm travel details and dates? I think, to/from Edinburgh, I am:
Edin-Barc Fri 11/04
Bilb-Edin Sun 20/4
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Jamie, the flight from Edinburgh to Barcelona should be on the 10th ie Thursday to give you time to get to Tarragona for a morning start on Friday 11th. There is another rider coming from Edinburgh ive advised him to get the flight that gets to Barca at 10.20am as another guy is flying in at 10am so they can transfer together. Anything that arrives in Barcelona on the 11th doesn't allow you to get to the start in time. The flight back from Bilbao will be fine, I think it leaves at 10.40am
Oh and it's MAY not April.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Also it's poor form for the guide to be the weakest link.
True. I once guided a member of the Dutch CX squad, so know all about it :wink:
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

pistonbroke wrote:Jamie, the flight from Edinburgh to Barcelona should be on the 10th ie Thursday to give you time to get to Tarragona for a morning start on Friday 11th. There is another rider coming from Edinburgh ive advised him to get the flight that gets to Barca at 10.20am as another guy is flying in at 10am so they can transfer together. Anything that arrives in Barcelona on the 11th doesn't allow you to get to the start in time. The flight back from Bilbao will be fine, I think it leaves at 10.40am
Oh and it's MAY not April.
Ive just booked those flights :-bd
Please could i be involved in accommodation discussions for at each end?