Spanish C2C 2018 Hands Up Who's In?

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pistonbroke

Re: Spanish C2C 2018 Hands Up Who's In?

Post by pistonbroke »

Jamie, so you'll arrive in Barca on thursday 10th at 10.20am with Ryanair and depart on Sunday 20th at 10.40 with Easyjet?
We finish on Saturday 19th in the afternoon and given your departure time (the others are not until teatime) it may be sensible to get a taxi with your packed up bike. It's about 15km to the airport so shouldn't be expensive. I'll give it a few weeks until final numbers are know then book a hotel in Tarragona that's convenient for the start. I'll keep you in the loop.
Are you bringing a cross bike? I ride one around here quite a bit but fitting an 11-36 cassette with one of those Wolftooth roadlink widgets has made life much more tolerable. It's not about power but more the slippery rough gravel requiring you to sit down and maintain traction. Likewise on the downhills, a chunky front tyre will make life easier and less prone to washing out.
Finally, will you need a box transfer or are you using a CTC bag?
Good to have you along.
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

pistonbroke wrote:Jamie, so you'll arrive in Barca on thursday 10th at 10.20am with Ryanair and depart on Sunday 20th at 10.40 with Easyjet?
We finish on Saturday 19th in the afternoon and given your departure time (the others are not until teatime) it may be sensible to get a taxi with your packed up bike. It's about 15km to the airport so shouldn't be expensive. I'll give it a few weeks until final numbers are know then book a hotel in Tarragona that's convenient for the start. I'll keep you in the loop.
Are you bringing a cross bike? I ride one around here quite a bit but fitting an 11-36 cassette with one of those Wolftooth roadlink widgets has made life much more tolerable. It's not about power but more the slippery rough gravel requiring you to sit down and maintain traction. Likewise on the downhills, a chunky front tyre will make life easier and less prone to washing out.
Finally, will you need a box transfer or are you using a CTC bag?
Good to have you along.
Yes, those are the flights. After the feedback, I guess I'll be on my rigid 29er rather than CX. I'll need box transfer, please. Thanks for looking into hotels. I guess me and whoever it is also from Edinburgh could share things for the Bilbao end(?)
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Looks like a nice group forming, just waiting for Hux and Chew to confirm. Had my photos back from the chemist the other day, don't know what they've been up to for the last 9 months and I suspect they've mixed them up with someone else's. Can't remember Jase bringing his brother and definitely didn't take the one of Scott sitting in the sea :wink:
https://youtu.be/1JBKSUdV8AI
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

I'm confirmed as not in for this year. Can't swing the time plus the flights to the XWA don't line up. Maybe next year.

Greetz

S.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

That's a shame Scott, never mind it'll still be there next year. The new run into Bilbao is lovely, much quieter and more scenic. We're aiming to finish with a ride across the transporter bridge as well
https://goo.gl/images/P6qWXq
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

I'd be surprised if Spain disappeared over the course of the next year...although those damned scientists and their climate change predictions...you just never know. :)

Perhaps, next year will be Catalonia coast to Spanish coast? C2S C2C drips off the tongue like sand.

As for me sitting in the sea? Maybe next time I'll expose myself to the locals and give it a go. *grins*

Greetz

S.
Albs1973

Post by Albs1973 »

Hi Duncan

Are you full for this trip yet? I can't commit yet, but depending on work, may try and fit a trip in between jobs.

Will know more in next couple of weeks hopefully.

Besides flights, what are the costs?

Would be flying from Gatwick, and would need a box transfer.

Cheers
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Albs, no not full, you'll need to get here Thursday though as we start first thing Friday. I think connections from Gatwick are quite good to both Reus and Barcelona. Most people are flying to Barcelona then getting the train down on Thursday pm. Ive found a cheapish hotel right by the station and 400m from the start which 3 have already booked. Costs are basically food and drink for a week, and an odd b&b or camping cabin. Try to keep your bag fairly small as space in the car is limited. It's a great trip, you'll love it.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Correction Albs, it's possible to get to Reus for 9.00am Friday morning from Gatwick with Thomson but costs €119 vs €38 the day before with Thos Cook plus about €40 for the hotel, depends if you're squeezed for time. Reus airport is a 15 min bus ride from the Port of Tarragona where we start.
Albs1973

Post by Albs1973 »

Thanks for info Duncan, hopefully I will know more week after next.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Too busy this year, I'm afraid, but I'll definitely consider it for next year.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I'm aiming to ride this year's trip with one eye on doing it in reverse next year. The current way, East to West is 100% ridable but the highest point of the route comes fairly early, halfway through day 3 then it plateaus for 4 days before decending into Bilbao.The Camino del Cid that we follow for 250 miles is actually routed from Burgos to Valencia so opposite to the way we do it. There's a couple of climbs that could be tricky done in reverse but may be candidates for a small reroute. The weather is another consideration with the Basque country being wetter than the Med. Winds can be variable but last year we mostly had tail winds. Easter is 3 weeks later next year so again I'll be canvassing opinion for the consensus, hopefully I'll get a better feedback next time.
Albs, I've had to book a campsite bungalow at the finish and included provision for you, if you can let me know asap, I can send you all the route info etc.