Moors One Hundred

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ssnowman

Re: Moors One Hundred

Post by ssnowman »

Growler wrote:Thanks for all the positives guys, it makes the many 200 mile trips to the area to recce, sort stuff out all worth it. Didn't get much time socialize, it went by in a flash. But a million thanks for turning up. On that note....

I have mixed feelings on wether to run it again. It was quite a bit of effort and the costs etc. We had around 35-40 turn up, which out of 138 entries is a bit poor. Makes planning, parking, food, camping etc difficult. The village Hall is £120 a day for the parking, so we only just scraped over the line there without making a loss, and i'm sure Jinni invested in much more food and drink expecting 100-ish.... Its OK if you are charging, you can reach your break even costs quite easily, but when you have to make up the shortfall out of your own pocket it puts a different complexion on matters.
I would have loved to do this, but was unable to do it this year, so I'm really hoping you put it on next year.

From my point of view, I wouldn't expect an event like this to be free and I'm willing to pay. I've done several of the Welsh MTB marathons and have been quite happy to pay for the privilege. If something is free, people will just put their name down and will then decide nearer the date if they're going to go or not.
May satan walk with you
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Growler wrote:
I have mixed feelings on wether to run it again. It was quite a bit of effort and the costs etc. We had around 35-40 turn up, which out of 138 entries is a bit poor. Makes planning, parking, food, camping etc difficult. The village Hall is £120 a day for the parking, so we only just scraped over the line there without making a loss, and i'm sure Jinni invested in much more food and drink expecting 100-ish.
Appreciate you guys don’t want the headache that goes with charging.
How about a require to pay for camping and a food “token” in advance?

Food token can be exchanged for pizza, tea, cake, beer, breakfast etc

That way Jinni has a guaranteed income and you guys can still publicise as a free event
____
Had further thoughts about the food token idea

How about to enter the event one has to pay Jinni £15 (can be direct to Jinni if needed)
£5 of this goes towards wild camping
For the remaining £10 each rider receives 20 tokens [*] with a value of 50 pence.
Tokens can be exchanged for food, drinks, breakfast etc; cash can be added to the tokens if needed
Jinni would therefore be guaranteed an income, and know the maximum for how many to cater.

[*] tokens could simply be a piece of cut paper with a logo printed on
wouldn't even necessarily need to cut the tokens. 20 to an A4 sheet of paper, and give each rider a sheet of tokens. scissors provided. :-bd
upon arrival at the overnight camp people sign in and are given a sheet of tokens.
we have a similar system with drink's tokens for the xmas meal
Last edited by Asposium on Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ton

Post by ton »

well worth paying to enter. grassroots stuff it best.
burty

Post by burty »

cracking event , me and viv enjoyed it , :-bd
hope is re run next year
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Growler wrote: I have mixed feelings on wether to run it again. It was quite a bit of effort and the costs etc. bd
Well that’s many times more turned up than the first WRT, a small entry fee to cover costs would be fine with most of us, any profits could go to a charity.
I would have liked the event by the sound of it, unfortunately I didn’t find out about it in time.

Many of us have little interest in the competitive side, and event like this represent an opportunity to meet fellow tramps :-bd

I’ve been tempted by the Dorset gravel dash, sounds like a good event but too expensive x(

Thanks for taking the time to organise this.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

i think it was a great run event,just a shame all the people who put there name down didnt turn up.
i would of happily paid a entry fee to cover any costs you incurred,were else can you ride nearly all of the 100mile in single track :mrgreen:
lots of places to stop for a beer,coffee,fill up water bottles.high paradise farm was a good spot to camp
i hope you run the event next year,thanks for all your hard work.matt #friendlybikepacker
Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

Growler wrote:Thanks for all the positives guys, it makes the many 200 mile trips to the area to recce, sort stuff out all worth it. Didn't get much time socialize, it went by in a flash. But a million thanks for turning up. On that note....

I have mixed feelings on wether to run it again. It was quite a bit of effort and the costs etc. We had around 35-40 turn up, which out of 138 entries is a bit poor. Makes planning, parking, food, camping etc difficult. The village Hall is £120 a day for the parking, so we only just scraped over the line there without making a loss, and i'm sure Jinni invested in much more food and drink expecting 100-ish.... Its OK if you are charging, you can reach your break even costs quite easily, but when you have to make up the shortfall out of your own pocket it puts a different complexion on matters.

Glad you enjoyed it though, and thanks for the beers on friday and saturday (and the resultant hangovers) :-bd
Are you out of pocket on this, I'll sport you a few bob if you are, it was such a good effort that?
Never knowingly under biked...
JerseyMountainBiker

Post by JerseyMountainBiker »

I would love to have done it but it clashed with the family holidau this year. If you do run it next yeat I would be in. Well done for organising it. I agree the food token idea seens a goos one.
whonickedmename

Post by whonickedmename »

My pals and I would happily have paid to enter, we appreciate all the hard work to put it on. Definitely consider it for next time!
Growler

Post by Growler »

OK folks. I met Gil in the pub last week (not the best idea), and now that I can see straight again and have stopped being sick, I thought I would pop in and have a quick word....

Right, it looks like we are going to run this shambles again next year. I've been looking at maps again and there is so much good stuff on there that we missed last time, that I need to get y'all out there on those Moors again. Now its all a bit 'back of a fag packet' at the moment, but here is the rough plan....

A date change. Earlier in the year, avoid the summer holidays to help with those who have family holidays planned.

A slight change of route, more singletrack (yes, 90 miles of gravel out of the 102 wasn't enough) :-bd

Although it will be a free event from my perspective, we will have to help Ginni out at High Paradise this time, she lost a fair bit with the big no show this year. There will be an up front camping pass needed that will include camping, a beer, a handmade pizza and a bacon roll the next morning included in this ticket, which I guess will be around £15-20ish. That will go direct to the guys over at High Paradise, via a link that we will set up when we update the website in January. I'm not charging a penny again as i cant be arsed with all the insurance, liability, responsibility bullshit. I don't mind taking a hit, but I dont want friends who help out taking a hit, if you know what I mean.

I need advice on the date though. There are a few weekends in May that are no good. First weekend is Tour De Yorkshire. Third weekend is Boltby Bash, and very Enduro, which both tie up High Paradise Farm. Last weekend i'll be packing for Tuscany Trail, Early June is TT, being in the bad books (TT related) and Le Mans24hr. July has a few date clashes..... Then its school holidays. So how about 11-12 May? Is that clashing with Richard's Jenn Ride ? Never easy is it.

Herding cats. Any suggestions? Any events to avoid clashes with?

Love
Si
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Next year's JennRide is early July so you won't clash with that in May. Highland Trail is the week beginning on the 25th May.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

WRT as ever is the first BH weekend in May which is the 4th - 6th.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

that will include camping, a beer, a handmade pizza and a bacon roll
Perfect for this tee total vegan - I was a no show from last year so i will take the hit and understand why you are charging - might be worth you having an option for those who dont want this even if we pay ? Doubt there will be many mind !
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Lazarus wrote: an option for those who dont want this even if we pay
As a meat-eater who enjoys the occasional drink I will gladly take care of your pizza, beer and bacon butty John. Very kind of you. :-bd
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Growler wrote:

Although it will be a free event from my perspective, we will have to help Ginni out at High Paradise this time, she lost a fair bit with the big no show this year. There will be an up front camping pass needed that will include camping, a beer, a handmade pizza and a bacon roll the next morning included in this ticket, which I guess will be around £15-20ish. That will go direct to the guys over at High Paradise, via a link that we will set up when we update the website in January. I'm not charging a penny again as i cant be arsed with all the insurance, liability, responsibility bullshit. I don't mind taking a hit, but I dont want friends who help out taking a hit, if you know what I mean.
A payment for camping gets my vote; ensures Ginni a guaranteed income. See my comment above about tokens, people can then "spend" their tokens as they then please.

Hopefully a few less ticks next year. :shock:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

how about 11-12 May? Is that clashing with Richard's Jenn Ride ? Never easy is it.
Welcome to the world of herding cats. FWIW the Spain C2C is 10th-19th of May but I wouldn't consider this event to be appealing to the same group. Good luck, cycling in general and mountainbiking in particular seems a commitment free sport. I ran Trailquests for 10 years and learnt that building in too many fixed costs such as hiring event centres or caterers was a bad idea, I would always try to negotiate on a per capita basis even if ended up costing more when loads turned up at the last minute. Time trials and audaxes have a good scheme where it's impossible to enter last minute.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Sounds like cracking value - definitely keen, if I can work round other commitments.
Growler

Post by Growler »

Lazarus wrote:
that will include camping, a beer, a handmade pizza and a bacon roll
Perfect for this tee total vegan - I was a no show from last year so i will take the hit and understand why you are charging - might be worth you having an option for those who dont want this even if we pay ? Doubt there will be many mind !
Don't worry, there are alternatives. What I was suggesting is that for your £20 you will be fed and watered as well as having somewhere to camp. :-bd
Growler

Post by Growler »

Asposium wrote:

Hopefully a few less ticks next year. :shock:
Out of our control unfortunately. :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Don't worry Si, David is like a tick magnet ... they travel miles to bite him.
May the bridges you burn light your way
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Don't worry Si, David is like a tick magnet ... they travel miles to bite him.
Ha ,at least he kept them all from us
Mike

Post by Mike »

Si, loved the event this year and wish I could join you guys again next but I'm working those dates unfortunately but would love to ride the new route through the summer at some point ;0)
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Don't worry, there are alternatives
I know but I like Andy's one best :wink:

Either way i think its reasonable to charge a modest fee to make sure no one is out of pocket and the event is a success

I would be happy to pay is my basic point and think it reasonable for the organisers to be certain
ton

Post by ton »

I will be making one in again.
great event in a great location. and good for fat greedy beery blokes too........... :-bd