Chiltern Spring Thing 2018

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rich3rd

Re: Chiltern Spring Thing 2018

Post by Rich3rd »

Ay-up peeps,

Just a quick role call here chaps, probably best to let the pub know how many muddy chaps will be rolling up :grin: So names in the frame are:

Sam
Pete + mate Dave
BigdummySteve
Rich G + 1
Javi
Mbnut
Might have a couple of local mates joining as well.

I've got a couple of route options from Berko, 45 or 60k on the Saturday (I'll send them out if you want) and about 25k back on the Sunday, with a nice stop for 2nd breakfast in Amersham.

So let me know if you're still up for the 14th and message me your phone numbers if you want me to set a little WhatsApp group :-bd
Never knowingly under biked...
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

That''ll be a top group. I can't make the ride but will be along for dinner. The Squirrel at 6pm?
I'm just going outside ...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Looks ace. Again, my 'apologies for absence' :cry:. Will be holed up in the Peak District doing what I'm told. Not even allowed to take the bike.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Javi

Post by Javi »

Hi!

I work on Saturday until 2 or 3pm and then it's another 2 or 3 hours ride to Berkshamsted and won't be able to join the ride. Let's say I could be there at 6pm but you'll probably be riding. Where are you planning to stop for the evening? And what time? If I make it quicker I may be able to "intercept" you en route.

I have no mobile phone at the moment but planning to sort it out at some point.
MikeOnabike

Post by MikeOnabike »

Hi! I haven't met any of you before, but I'd like to join in. 100% not a murderer etc.
Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

Welcome on board Mike, your most welcome to join, I haven't met many of the guys either, but we're all one BB happy family :-bd What sort of time do you think you can make it to Berkhamsted, I was thinking of setting off at about 11 - 12?

Javi, we're aiming at The Squirrel in Pen (https://goo.gl/maps/hM71MxYbCKo) for about 6-6:30, they do nice beers & good pub food :-bd

Sam
BigdummySteve
Rich G + 1
Mbnut

Are any of you chaps joining us ????
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Ugh, sorry for the late notice but it appears I'm out. My friend is struggling with renovating his house at the moment, and my new house is a building site.

I'll keep an eye out for the next one as I really did enjoy the company on the last! :sad:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’m not sure I can make it yet, loads on and the family are back from a week in Spain Thursday night....hopefully I can be there, I’ll have to chance it food wise.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
MikeOnabike

Post by MikeOnabike »

Cheers Rich. Yea, I should be able to make it down any time between 10 and noon.
Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

Ay-Up chaps,

Route, cafe & pub stop sorted for Saturday :grin: Trails round here are running a little sticky (mild under estimate) so mud tyres are a good plan.

So, current list of entrants to the 2018 Chiltern Bog Snorkelling Championships are:

Mike,
Pete + Dave
Javi (joining us en-route)
Steve (possibly)
Rich3rd + couple of local mates.

We'll meet at Berkhamsted station by the taxi rank (its the side of the station by the canal) 11am, gives us some bumble time, cafe & pub stop enroute :-bd . If there are any more takers let me know so I can tell the pub how many skanky MTBers to expect (they'll need to put an extra barrel on me thinks :wink: )

TBD: are you joining us in the Squirrel for munchies or just a swift half?

I'll send out route details via PM.

Rich.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Joining for dinner thanks Rich. 6pm?
Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

TheBrownDog wrote:Joining for dinner thanks Rich. 6pm?
6 -6.30 at the Squirrel i recon, couple of jars before food perhaps, will be good to see you before WRT, keen to hear how your plannings going.
Javi

Post by Javi »

Ok, got the gpx routes. I'll see you there on the trails or at The Squirrel.
Javi

Post by Javi »

At 5pm, just 12 km from The Squirrel, my right crank arm fell off and had to retreat to the nearest train station, Seer Green and Jordans.
I was following the route from Chalfont St Giles and at Hodgemoor Woods this happened.

A pitty, such a good afternoon!!
Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

Javi wrote:At 5pm, just 12 km from The Squirrel, my right crank arm fell off and had to retreat to the nearest train station,
That's really bad luck there Javi, we were probably only a few minutes in front of you, but doubt we'd have been able to fix that.

There was some seriously gloopy gloop out there, but sunshine, smiles, good coffee, the odd dry bit and great company made for a really top ride.

RIP

Post by RIP »

:-bd. Pleased to see you're keeping the gloop standards up high there Rich! Proper BBB-SEChilterns deli stop there too I see :wink:

Reg "Jealous" Perrin
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Nice Rich. Sorry to bale out of dinner. Recognise the cafe and several of the trails. It's going to be a quagmire for a few weeks yet, methinks. Where did you kip then? Common Wood?
MikeOnabike

Post by MikeOnabike »

Well, that was a fun weekend. I got into Lewknor about 1pm. That route back over worked out well, although I needed to haul my bike over a few too many kissing gates on the accidental footpaths. And the bus driver looked a nonplussed with the inch of mud on me and everything I own. Thanks for the photos and the fine organisation work Rich. Till next time!
Gummikuh

Post by Gummikuh »

Thanks Rich, it was a good ride out and a good shakedown before WRT. struggled in the mud on woefully inadequate tyres, but enjoyed the evening.
Glad you made it back OK Mike.
Pete