Scottish Spring Thing 2018

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pushbikemike

Re: Scottish Spring Thing 2018

Post by pushbikemike »

Ray Young wrote:
pushbikemike wrote:I'm a possible for this.
Be good to see you again Mike, :-bd .
You too Ray. A bike ride. Some whisky and a catchup are in order.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Only a month to go until the grand depart!

Thought I'd do a roll call and get this back on everyone's minds, who's in, who's out and who's still undecided? Seems everyone is happy to do a trip into Fife, it'll be roughly the route I posted earlier in the thread slightly adjusted using Phil's insider knowledge!
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Sorry, it's a no go for me. Hope youse have a good weekend though.
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

yes
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Still in, :-bd .
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

In. And timely reminder to get route plotting.....
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I quite fancy a trip up north. I’ll see how I’m fixed.

Would be good to ride a bike to somewhere again.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Moder-dye wrote:Sorry, it's a no go for me. Hope youse have a good weekend though.
Sorry to here that, maybe next time
jamiep wrote:yes
htrider wrote:In. And timely reminder to get route plotting.....
Ray Young wrote:Still in, :-bd .
Excellent chaps, I'm looking forward to this already
ianfitz wrote:I quite fancy a trip up north. I’ll see how I’m fixed.

Would be good to ride a bike to somewhere again.

Be good to have you along Ian
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

I'm a mibbe at the moment. Junior may be completing at Dundee Track Omnium that weekend so I would be needed for pitbitching.

Also I seem to have inherited Rays back problems and am grounded just now.
BaM 2021
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Alan63 wrote:Also I seem to have inherited Rays back problems and am grounded just now.
Sorry to hear that Alan. On a brighter note I have started physio and am feeling some benefits after only a week of the daily exercises prescribed.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Just arrived back from holiday and realised this is next weekend! What time shall we meet up? I'd planned for leaving from Dalmeny station but we can start closer to the city centre if others would prefer?

I've not turned a pedal for a week so I'm looking forward to getting some miles under my belt :-bd
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

Don't mind what time. I'll ride in to dalmeny from town
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Right finally done a re-edit of the outward track - https://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId=oekqayxiefgcypvd
Basically Blairs track with a few minor deviations based on local knowledge.
As it stands I have a works night out on Friday so not sure what time Saturday I'll be mobile. I'll have to rescue my car at some point so likely not to get going until lunchtime. I'd rather not just ride straight their so will look to join the above route at some suitable point and get to the spot for teatime. Blair, you were talking about a pub in Falkland - any thoughts on which one? - the only one I know is the Lomond tavern which does good cheap food but tends to be very busy as a result.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

htrider wrote:. Blair, you were talking about a pub in Falkland - any thoughts on which one? - the only one I know is the Lomond tavern which does good cheap food but tends to be very busy as a result.
I had thought we could go to The Bruce on the main street which I believe is reasonably priced should we want to stop for food. There's also The Stag which has reopened recently but I think it is rather spendy.

Lomond Tavern is unfortunately not an option for me due to an slightly drunken night in there over 10 years ago to which the owner still holds a grudge! :???:

If anyone's interested I can contact the Bruce and see if they'll have room for us or shall we just busk it, have a few pints and see what happens like last year?
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

So I managed to (probably) free up the weekend, but not enough time to travel up there too.

I'll have to pass unfortunately but hopefully getting out somewhere down here instead.

Have a good one :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

[quote="Blair512
Lomond Tavern is unfortunately not an option for me due to an slightly drunken night in there over 10 years ago to which the owner still holds a grudge! :???:

If anyone's interested I can contact the Bruce and see if they'll have room for us or shall we just busk it, have a few pints and see what happens like last year?[/quote]

:lol: Bruce tavern sounds good, if we are firm on numbers you could book but happy to wing it if that's easier.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

htrider wrote:[quote="Blair512

If anyone's interested I can contact the Bruce and see if they'll have room for us or shall we just busk it, have a few pints and see what happens like last year?
:lol: Bruce tavern sounds good, if we are firm on numbers you could book but happy to wing it if that's easier.[/quote]

Anyone else like me to book or will we wing it?
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

I'm easy with whatever you think
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Couple of route updates. First up the Links Market kicks off on Saturday on the Kirkcaldy esplanade - you'll get through but expect to have to fight your way through the crowds! Slightly more crucially the coastal path is shut between Dysart and West Weymms. Basically a chunk fell into the sea this winter. If you get there well before high tide (14.30 on Saturday) you should get past OK, otherwise its a paddle....
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Cheers Phil, We might just have to cut up through to town a bit in kdy, hopefully we're passed the shut part before 14:30 otherwise we'll find a way around.

12:00 on Saturday @ Dalmeny sound OK to everyone? Where do you anticipate meeting us Phil?
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I'm interested in the story behind the ban and the 10 year grudge :geek:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ianfitz wrote:I'm interested in the story behind the ban and the 10 year grudge :geek:
We'll extricate this out of Blair on Saturday eve and post it up thereafter :grin:
Blair512 wrote:Cheers Phil, We might just have to cut up through to town a bit in kdy, hopefully we're passed the shut part before 14:30 otherwise we'll find a way around.

12:00 on Saturday @ Dalmeny sound OK to everyone? Where do you anticipate meeting us Phil?
Probably get going nearer 1 - 2 or so will head down to Inverkeithing and give chase. From Kirkcaldy esplanade pick up NCN 766 which takes you north ish up past Asda and then over the A92 west of the big roundabout, keep going to thornton and then turn right just after the Co-op go to the end of the road up by the railway to re-join the route at Coaltown of Balgonie.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I'm hoping to make it but I am driving my stepdaughter to a dressage show in the morning so I'll make my own way up and meet you at the bivi spot.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

[quote="htrider" Probably get going nearer 1 - 2 or so will head down to Inverkeithing and give chase. From Kirkcaldy esplanade pick up NCN 766 which takes you north ish up past Asda and then over the A92 west of the big roundabout, keep going to thornton and then turn right just after the Co-op go to the end of the road up by the railway to re-join the route at Coaltown of Balgonie.[/quote]

Planned on riding the opposite way Phil, up through Cowdenbeath and up over Benarty Hill, perhaps we could meet up with you somewhere in that direction, Vane Farm cafe maybe?
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Ray Young wrote:I'm hoping to make it but I am driving my stepdaughter to a dressage show in the morning so I'll make my own way up and meet you at the bivi spot.
No problem Ray, bivvy spot may be difficult to find if you don't know where to look and if there's anyone using it we may need to find somewhere else, do you still have my moblie number? I had a look and I seem to have lost yours in my last phone change.