Wrt

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

middleagedmadness

Wrt

Post by middleagedmadness »

Probably a bit premature but my 13 yr old has asked to do a trip with me next year , is there any age restrictions on the wrt or will he be ok to ride with me ,
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Wrt

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

No age restrictions - he'll be fine.
May the bridges you burn light your way
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Cheers Stu, that will cheer him up now to tell him 2 nights out is better than 1
techno

Post by techno »

Is there a date planned for this years WRT?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As ever, first Bank Holiday weekend in May which this year is the 5th.
techno

Post by techno »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
As ever, first Bank Holiday weekend in May which this year is the 5th.
okeydokey!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Ahh sh*t. I've just realised that I'm going to be missing this for my goddamn mother-in-law's wedding.

Missing the Cambrian Trail was one thing, but I had no idea this was on the same weekend.

@#$%&! :sad:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bad luck Rich :sad:. I've gone the opposite way. Thought WRT would be around 31st April like last year, and I've got an 'unrepeatable' thing on 30th which has been causing me mega-angst because of course [each] WRT is unrepeatable too is it not?! :smile:. So I'm on after all which is 'nightmare scenario cancelled' - gawd knows how I'd have broken it to Panda.

Mother-in-law V WRT - surely a coin toss is the only fair answer :smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
psling

Post by psling »

And it'll be the special 10th Anniversary event too... :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Absolutely - unmissable. 10th Anniversary, hmm, that's "Tin" isn't it? Or possibly "formica" or "polystyrene" :grin:. Tin.... "Tinkerers Toddle"? "Tinselly Traveller"? Nah, best to leave naming to the experts! Whatever, must be an excuse for a giant firework display on top of Plynlimon, although that probably isn't very LNT or stealth is it...
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Richard G

Post by Richard G »

RIP wrote:Mother-in-law V WRT - surely a coin toss is the only fair answer :smile:
If it wasn't for not wanting to leave the wife in the lurch, there would be no question.

That said, I'm very much tempted to drive straight down on the Saturday after the ceremony.
techno

Post by techno »

RIP wrote:Bad luck Rich :sad:. I've gone the opposite way. Thought WRT would be around 31st April like last year, and I've got an 'unrepeatable' thing on 30th which has been causing me mega-angst because of course [each] WRT is unrepeatable too is it not?! :smile:. So I'm on after all which is 'nightmare scenario cancelled' - gawd knows how I'd have broken it to Panda.

Mother-in-law V WRT - surely a coin toss is the only fair answer :smile:
It's the weekend after the moor gravel forever audax that I've paid up for already. Gonna have to get some serious brownie points in the bank I think!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It's the weekend after the moor gravel forever audax that I've paid up for already. Gonna have to get some serious brownie points in the bank I think!
Why does the date of the WRT come as a surprise to people?
techno

Post by techno »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Why does the date of the WRT come as a surprise to people?
I only heard of it last year! (joined the forum in feb when I intended to attend the WRT)
Forgot about it being on the bank holiday weekend. If I'd re-read the bumpf on the email or web page I could have figured it out I suppose.
RIP

Post by RIP »

"after ceremony": There you are Rich - as soon as she's said "I do", steam out of the church/registry, leap in the motor and you'll be sorted for Sat eve bivi :-bd. You'll miss all the champagne, canapes, hotel etc but that's no comparison to tea, toast, and a night in a ditch.

"come as a surprise". Well, yes, fair cop :smile:. I dunno, "the 5th/6th" sounds almost like the END of May so my brain wasn't believing it and imagined 30/31/1st as the more likely. Having said that, my whole life seems to come as a surprise from one moment to the next so it's not unexpected :roll:.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I wasn't having a go, I just thought the date (or at least the Bank Holiday part) was fairly well established. However, I'm starting to believe that I'm wrong and should tell people much more.
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I wasn't having a go, I just thought the date (or at least the Bank Holiday part) was fairly well established. However, I'm starting to believe that I'm wrong and should tell people much more.
I believe the BH part is well established but... bikepacking is BIG now and there must be a lot of people out there not familiar with "the establishment" :lol:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nah, it obv is me Stu not you :smile:. "First May Bank Hol" is pretty clear to everyone except me :roll:.

'BIG'? I think I've gone off it now then :wink:

Richard G

Post by Richard G »

RIP wrote:"after ceremony": There you are Rich - as soon as she's said "I do", steam out of the church/registry, leap in the motor and you'll be sorted for Sat eve bivi :-bd. You'll miss all the champagne, canapes, hotel etc but that's no comparison to tea, toast, and a night in a ditch.
Supposedly they're just going out for a meal, with the proper party later in the year.

I reckon it's about 4 hours to mid Wales from there, so I'd probably be looking at either dumping my car somewhere and just riding, or starting from a B&B and linking up with another group.
techno

Post by techno »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I wasn't having a go, I just thought the date (or at least the Bank Holiday part) was fairly well established. However, I'm starting to believe that I'm wrong and should tell people much more.
apologies for being over sensitive, must've been menstruating :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I believe the BH part is well established but... bikepacking is BIG now and there must be a lot of people out there not familiar with "the establishment"
I do wonder whether we might not be viewed as the anti-establishment more often than not :wink:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: I do wonder whether we might not be viewed as the anti-establishment more often than not :wink:
I do hope so, one of the worst insults is to be called normal. ;)
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I think I might actually get along this year. Long range childcare forecast shows kids will be at their mums, plus no scheduled horse shows, not coaching that weekend and nothing major happening workwise ..... maybe this year. Finally. :-bd
I'm just going outside ...
Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

TheBrownDog wrote:I think I might actually get along this year. Long range childcare forecast shows kids will be at their mums, plus no scheduled horse shows, not coaching that weekend and nothing major happening workwise ..... maybe this year. Finally. :-bd
Hurrah, hope we don't get the force 10 gales like last year :shock: :shock:
Never knowingly under biked...