Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

techno

Moor gravel, April 2018.

Post by techno »

AlexGold

Re: Moor gravel, April 2018.

Post by AlexGold »

In on this one at a practise for TINAT :)
techno

Post by techno »

AlexGold wrote:In on this one at a practise for TINAT :)
aye, same here. sounds like fun:
"There's free camping and food at the start and finish, and an all-night after-ride party. I think we eventually went to bed at 4 am last year"
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

It'll be a fair drive for me, and who knows what tyres I'll end up on.....but the party sounds like it'll make the trip worthwhile anyway! :D
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

I've entered with half a plan that the start is 200k from the in-laws. A 4am party finish and 200k Sunday may be mutually exclusive however.
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Hmm, Starts about 10kms from my Mum's house..

Could be a plan.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Slightly confusing because if you look at the Audax calendar it shows that Dean is also running a 300km and 100km road event in the same area on the same day. :???: I'll contact him and get back.
In any case, I recently did his 200km event from Darlington and it was a lovely ride, with a particularly memorable cake stop at 180kms. :-bd
techno

Post by techno »

padonbike wrote:Slightly confusing because if you look at the Audax calendar it shows that Dean is also running a 300km and 100km road event in the same area on the same day. :???: I'll contact him and get back.
In any case, I recently did his 200km event from Darlington and it was a lovely ride, with a particularly memorable cake stop at 180kms. :-bd
Some more info here: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=105147.0
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

More info from Dean, (that confirms info in techno mail's link):

"You have it right - I've got a mate's farm as the start/finish so I run a series of events. All proceeds go to a charity of Mike's choice.

The 300 is all on road, but the shorter rides are offroady loops around the Moors. Loads of fun and a mix of terrains. Nowt too technical mind, I aimed them at audaxers on tourers or your modern gravel bikes. But there's a 10 kph minimum and a few people rode the 100 km on mountain bikes last year.

Oh, and cos it's not a commercial start/finish, there's food included.

I've got quite a few entries already for the 150 (hundred-miler). "
techno

Post by techno »

Having completely failed to do any overnighters so far this year I'm now making a weekender out of moor gravel!
Biking from hull on Friday evening and sleeping in a ditch or at the start point Friday night and staying over Saturday night too :-bd
And a mate is taking my beer for the Saturday in his car :D
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Damn, was back home last week and out around Blakey, farndale, Danby, lealholmeand guisboroug too. Some great moorland tracks and old railways. Hotshot Parmos (with garlic sauce obviously) at the Lion Inn are fantastic, though they'll slow your pace down a bit lol!
techno

Post by techno »

Moder-dye wrote:Damn, was back home last week and out around Blakey, farndale, Danby, lealholmeand guisboroug too. Some great moorland tracks and old railways. Hotshot Parmos (with garlic sauce obviously) at the Lion Inn are fantastic, though they'll slow your pace down a bit lol!
Where's the lion inn? =P~
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

On the high point of Blakey Ridge between Castleton and Hutton le hole. Good food and beer and very popular as its on the coast to coast and Lyke wake walk routes and has lengths of discussed railways either side with good riding off them.
techno

Post by techno »

Moder-dye wrote:On the high point of Blakey Ridge between Castleton and Hutton le hole. Good food and beer and very popular as its on the coast to coast and Lyke wake walk routes and has lengths of discussed railways either side with good riding off them.
Ah yeah, been twice as it happens!
And the route passes it twice, 2 chicken parmos it I then :grin: :lol:
techno

Post by techno »

Moor Gravel Forever 2018

I’m poor at writing stories so I’ll give you the rundown of my moor gravel experience in bullet point form:

Day 1- 120km
* Set off in the rain .
* Quick exit out of town via on-road cycle tracks.
* Pick up hudson trail at beverley and then onto the kiplingcotes race course (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiplingcotes_Derby) going = fair to crap.
* Horrible slog down very churned up bridleway from Warter towards Millington.
* Steady trundle down quiet lanes to Stamford Bridge.
* Quick chat with an intrigued fellow cyclist as to what I was doing with a loaded bike absolutely covered in mud =)
* Bloody good Fish and Chips in Stamford (http://www.thompsonsfishrestaurants.com/).
* More steady plodding towards Newby Wiske with a lovely sunset as my wallpaper.
* Met Dean the organiser at the farm and got my head down after a shock horror !shower!

Day 2 - 165km
* Set off at a chilly 8am after breakfast provided by our generous host mike, thanks mike.
* Rode, ate a pasty, rode/pushed up Ingleby incline, rode to pub, ate soup drank coffee, rode some more, thought "I'll not finish this", buttie in the cafe in Lealholme, rode some more, pushed up Monket House Bank, met the cake and brew wagon at Cow House Bank, ate cake & drank coffee.
* Rode some more.
* Drank beer, ate some excellent curried lentil soup + some cake =]
* Met some lovely folk (including fellow boner Cliff, Hi Cliff), chatted poor show, drank more beer!
* Fell asleep in heated workshop, toasty.

Day 3 - 10km
* Complimentary brekkie inc bacon and sausage butties.
* Got a lift to the humber bridge (thanks Alan).
* Slow trundle home into a head wind =(
* food, food, food, playtime with kids, bed.

It was a great route, really well organised + hospitality was excellent.
people were friendly and weather was good on the day, bloody loved it and would fully recommend it to anyone else.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Sounds like a fun weekend.

Sadly, living in the South West, I find the Friday drive north ever more nauseating (traffic on the Dirty Reiver drive almost broke me). Staying awake on the way home was also a challenge (thanks to night-long thunder on the Sat night). Unfortunately this sub standard state of affairs means I am less inclined to ride in that delightful part of the country for a weekender, until I relocate to somewhere more sensible!
techno

Post by techno »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:Sounds like a fun weekend.

Sadly, living in the South West, I find the Friday drive north ever more nauseating (traffic on the Dirty Reiver drive almost broke me). Staying awake on the way home was also a challenge (thanks to night-long thunder on the Sat night). Unfortunately this sub standard state of affairs means I am less inclined to ride in that delightful part of the country for a weekender, until I relocate to somewhere more sensible!
Get yaself moved to Yorkshire lad ;)

Getting to and from routes is one of the considerations by which I will select what to ride, I chose this over the wrt partially because it was so close. Bit sad I can't make it to the wrt, but don't feel I've missed out too much due to having such a great time on this!