Dirty Reiver '18

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Dirty Reiver '18

Post by fatbikephil »

I've entered this - not sure why as coughing up 60 bar in order to ride 200k round Kielder forest tracks and get a T shirt seems a little extravagant but I'm hoping it will be a good laugh and a stroll compared to the YD200 :???: Looks like a few more BBers in for it also.....
padonbike

Re: Dirty Reiver '18

Post by padonbike »

DR - a little over 8hrs; YD200 - a little over 15 hrs. :shock:
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

I did the 1st one (took me 13 hours) but 60 quid is too rich for me. I'm making plans to ride a Dirty 'Free'ver around the same time ;)
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

I did the second one. Cold start but beautiful day in Keilder. Not the most exciting of routes but pretty sociable. Price has gone up a bit and a little rich for me now.
I had a similar time to restlessnative. Phil, you will be capable of doing it a lot quicker. Will you do it on your new Surly Straggler?
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

restlessnative wrote:. I'm making plans to ride a Dirty 'Free'ver around the same time ;)
I've got my eye on some local forest trails to do something similar. :grin:
No free food stops in mine :wink:
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

pushbikemike wrote:
restlessnative wrote:. I'm making plans to ride a Dirty 'Free'ver around the same time ;)
I have a nice 100km loop round Eskdalemuir and Craik planned out, time for a quick bit of meditation at Samee Lyng and a café in Eskdalemuir village for a cuppa :)
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

restlessnative wrote:
pushbikemike wrote:
I have a nice 100km loop round Eskdalemuir and Craik planned out, time for a quick bit of meditation at Samee Lyng and a café in Eskdalemuir village for a cuppa :)
:grin: I was looking at that area. Looks ripe for a Dirty Free'ver
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I too am too tight to do the proper thing :|

Tried to arrange to do the actual route as an overnighter with JohnClimber last year but it didn't work out. I think he tried it but ended up cutting it short.

I'd still be interested in trying the proper route, or something in Craik/Eskdalemuir (rode through Eskdalemuir this summer but more on road than planned, except an excursion to Greensykes).

See also: http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... 10&t=11053
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Happy to put something together in Craik / Esdalemuir for March with or without a bothy overnight if anyone fancys it?* I've done a few recce trips down there this year.

*warning: I ride slowly, drink rum and am a bit socially awkward ;)
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Did it this year as part of the 'Gravel Rocks' package. Good ride, but sixty quid does seem a bit steep. That said, there was a lot of top dollar kit on display last time, and with relatively few similar options in the UK, I expect it will sell.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

My friend is trying to persuade me to enter this. I think I'm a bit over organised events with feed stops etc. and a bail out crew (and an overly long mandatory kit list that includes 1.5 litres of water!)....specially for the price tbh. There's a market for it, but I don't think it's me.
Trying to get 'highwayman' status does look sufficiently difficult though :shock:
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

restlessnative wrote:Happy to put something together in Craik / Esdalemuir for March with or without a bothy overnight if anyone fancys it?* I've done a few recce trips down there this year.

*warning: I ride slowly, drink rum and am a bit socially awkward ;)
I would be up for that Shawn. Could be a nice warm up for The Badger Divide :grin:
I too ride slowly and am socially awkward but I drink whisky.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Me too.

I also fit the same 2/3 of the person spec as pushbikemike :-bd
techno

Post by techno »

thenorthwind wrote:Me too.

I also fit the same 2/3 of the person spec as pushbikemike :-bd
Might be up for this too, and whiskys my tipple. Helps to alleviate the social awkwardness :-bd
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Cool that's half a plan already. I prefer whisky but only expensive stuff hence cheap rum for camping.

What sort of distance do we want? over 2 days?

ps. I have a liberal definition of gravel
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

badger divide
yeah I just need to work on an extension to get me all the way home to Lilliesleaf :) Bit of the capital trail does Edinburgh to here but need to look at Glasgow to Edinburgh
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Zippy wrote:My friend is trying to persuade me to enter this. I think I'm a bit over organised events with feed stops etc. and a bail out crew (and an overly long mandatory kit list that includes 1.5 litres of water!)....specially for the price tbh. There's a market for it, but I don't think it's me.
Yep, this 100%
Only thing I've entered next year is my first audax coz it seemed like a good idea and it's only 200km and it was £10 entry
robbie

Post by robbie »

I have entered again only to try and go quicker than this year. Btw there is a bothy exactly half way on the route. And if anybody wants this years route i have it on strava which is easily converted to gpx!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

pushbikemike wrote:I did the second one. Cold start but beautiful day in Keilder. Not the most exciting of routes but pretty sociable. Price has gone up a bit and a little rich for me now.
I had a similar time to restlessnative. Phil, you will be capable of doing it a lot quicker. Will you do it on your new Surly Straggler?
Could well be - will be trialling it over the next few months to gauge comfiness. Failing that my Trusty Jones will get it done in both style and comfort :mrgreen:
padonbike wrote:DR - a little over 8hrs; YD200 - a little over 15 hrs. :shock:
Took me 13 1/2 for the 'Gravel friendly' ( :lol: ) '17 yd200 but I reckon 10 or so for this as I'm not going to knock my pan in training between now and then...
techno

Post by techno »

restlessnative wrote:Cool that's half a plan already. I prefer whisky but only expensive stuff hence cheap rum for camping.

A day ride or One night will probably be all i can get approval for and not too concerned about the distance, interesting is more important for me.
Would that include Muddy gravel then?

Think this needs its own thread.....
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

restlessnative wrote:
badger divide
yeah I just need to work on an extension to get me all the way home to Lilliesleaf :) Bit of the capital trail does Edinburgh to here but need to look at Glasgow to Edinburgh
Would you consider the canal route. Taking in the falkirk wheel to link the two canals between Glasgow and Edinburgh.
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

techno mail wrote:
restlessnative wrote:Cool that's half a plan already. I prefer whisky but only expensive stuff hence cheap rum for camping.

A day ride or One night will probably be all i can get approval for and not too concerned about the distance, interesting is more important for me.
Would that include Muddy gravel then?

Think this needs its own thread.....
Agreed. New thread needed. Possibly titled Dirty Free'ver :grin:
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

1 week out and my new gravel bike is still a collection of unassembled parts! With internal routing, PF BB, hydro brakes, etc, I just know it’s going to be a right PITA to build, and I can’t even start until Monday, at the earliest. Bugger... Just relieved we now have decent online video tutorials to keep bodgers like me on the right track.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:1 week out and my new gravel bike is still a collection of unassembled parts! With internal routing, PF BB, hydro brakes, etc, I just know it’s going to be a right PITA to build, and I can’t even start until Monday, at the earliest. Bugger... Just relieved we now have decent online video tutorials to keep bodgers like me on the right track.
Just f*** the ***t together, you'll be fine.
Personally I'm still havering over whether to use the straggler (appropriately named as it happens as my fitness is hee haw) or the Jones as it will be comfortable but a bit heavy. Also due to my characteristic lack of pre-event planning I have nowhere to stay so currently looking at bivvy options in the (Scottish) vicinity.... In fact the only way I'm currently motivated to do this is to ride to the event, bivvy, do it and then ride home again, albeit with some help from Scotrail
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A similar lack of planning means we'll be dossing, I mean bivvying, as well.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry