Boxing Day overnighter?

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

kazafaza

Boxing Day overnighter?

Post by kazafaza »

After all the Christmas madness and gluttony I’m sure I will need some sort of a quiet time away from the dazzling fir trees and deafening carols. I am planning to either cycle from Brum towards Cannock Chase or Wyre Forrest, camp, and cycle back the very next day or use the train for the first part of a trip, camp and cycle back the longer way. I’m open to suggestions, unfortunately I’m time-limited due to work, family etc. Anyone with some spare time on their wheels?
middleagedmadness

Re: Boxing Day overnighter?

Post by middleagedmadness »

if you cycle down the thame valley canal , W alsall canal just after pelsall you can get on some single track into chase water across chaswater into Longford and across gentle shaw common this then links upto the back end of the chase and drops you onto 5 ways on the monkey trail, theres plenty of secluded spots on gentleshaw and around castle ring (also a couple of pubs) ,I rode it the other day and linking it with the canal out of penkridge and back to bilston its about 50 mile ,if you do the link through penkridge you can carry on up the mainline and back to brum ,if I can get sleeping bag sorted I may join you , if you want a copy of the route pm me and ill email it across
edit forgot to say theres only about 5miles of roads the rest is towpath bridleway and singletrack (some of includes parts of follow the dog)
kazafaza

Post by kazafaza »

Many thanks for your suggestions! I used to cycle along the Rushall Canal, Daw End Branch and then Worley and Essington Canal towards Chasewater, I’m happy to try a different route this time. Seems like a plan.
I will pm you for a copy of the route in a few days, many thanks again. And I hope to see you on the Boxing Day!
middleagedmadness

shouldn't be a problem mrs m should give me a pass as long as I'm back for lunch on 27th as we have a date with bad manners on the evening (think shes trying to make me feel my age by taking me back to the 80s)
middleagedmadness

Boxing night is off for me mate ,just been informed we have the pleasure of the outlaws coming over from Dublin 24,25,26th the street will probably look like something out of peaky blinders Romany carts and all :shock: but on the plus side I finish work on the morning of the 2nd of Jan and not back in till 22nd so I have pretty much a free reign for those 20 days if you can get out