Yorkshire Winter Bivi

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Re: Yorkshire Winter Bivi

Post by whitestone »

A bit of snow overnight - we had 2-3cm at just over 200 metres. The roads in the valley are clear but Stuart C should give better info as he lives further up the Dale. There'll be one or two spots on the road between Skipton and Kettlewell that always have ice patches but they usually have warning signs.

Lovely and clear and cold ATM. :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Fitted new chain + cassette last night (I hate doing that over winter, but this years BB200 really did kill it!). Car passed MOT this morning, so providing I get up on time tomorrow morning - see you all in Kettewell :-bd
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

not making it this year btw my bike is still foooooooked after nepal , and there is skiing to be had in esscose
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Great news Zippy! See you there.
Rob A

Post by Rob A »

whitestone wrote:A bit of snow overnight - we had 2-3cm at just over 200 metres. The roads in the valley are clear but Stuart C should give better info as he lives further up the Dale. There'll be one or two spots on the road between Skipton and Kettlewell that always have ice patches but they usually have warning signs.

Lovely and clear and cold ATM. :-bd
Cheers for the update. So is the safest bet road conditions wise A59 to skipton then straight north to Kettlewell? (I'm coming from Nottinghamshire )
Chew

Post by Chew »

Rob A wrote:Cheers for the update. So is the safest bet road conditions wise A59 to skipton then straight north to Kettlewell? (I'm coming from Nottinghamshire )
Yes
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

AA Routeplanner says M1 to join M62 just south of Leeds then M606 into Bradford then the A650/A629 through Bradford, Shipley and Keighley up to Skipton (basically heading up the Aire Valley).

The alternative is to head up the A1(M) to Wetherby then head west through Otley and Ilkley.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I'm not really concerned getting there (all the sensible routes to Kettlewell are on main gritting routes) - (the roads look ace when streetviewing, so I'm peeling off the A59 as early as I can - will just drive to the conditions, but give me tricky roads with light traffic over main route with lots of traffic but less tricky any day of the week).

It's the heavy snow forecast currently forecast for all of Sunday is where my slight question mark is, but according to the forecast, that should die down overnight and be fine for Monday - so worst case is a second night bivvy and an early drive back on Monday morning.

Play it by ear, snow will definitely not stop play :mrgreen:
stucowp

Post by stucowp »

Right all apologies for not getting on the forum sooner today with the way the weather is I've been on daddy day care duties and been mentally challenged and for that matter still am!

Any how on with the dales weather forecast it's f@#&inkg cold for a start and we have a slight dusting of snow, I've seen photos from where we are heading and I can say it looks wonderfully winterful! I'm only 2 miles from Kettlewell at least straight over the hill any way, maybe 4mile going round but I'm taking the lumpy cheeky way hopefully tomorrow because I can and I'm naughty!

I went down to Skipton today to pick up my iron horse from Riders cycle centre anyone with a spare half an hour call in and say hi to Stu Rider he's a lovely bloke but then again I am biased! Oh and the roads are sound as well very finely gritted by both North Yorkshire council. Wrap up warm, bring beer tokens and cheese have a sense of humour and bring warmer clothes for Sunday and waterproof kit to keep the snow off!

Looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow for some cracking winter trails and sunshine. I might have one more idiot....I mean attende as well.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Have fun out there you hardcore crazzies and stay off the ICE it hurts when you hit it :-bd
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Have fun kids, and stay safe. I'm on baby herding duties.

Little snow in Calderdale, but a lot of ice.

Don't do anything stupid to get the UWFRA folk out.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I'm in Kettlewell, it's lovely out there. Roads not too bad, just drive accordingly, not much to catch you out.
Getting full English breakfast now, will see what's happening tomorrow weather wise. I packed work clothes and laptop so I can drive back Monday AM if needed!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Well we've already been put on base ready response for the MRT... so don't be surprised if you're stuck in for a bit.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Zippy wrote:I'm in Kettlewell, it's lovely out there. Roads not too bad, just drive accordingly, not much to catch you out.
Getting full English breakfast now, will see what's happening tomorrow weather wise. I packed work clothes and laptop so I can drive back Monday AM if needed!

Might be Tuesday Zippy. We've had 3-4 inches overnight in Warwickshire. Off out on my bike as the CX race is cancelled.
Mike

Post by Mike »

:lol: 3-4 Steve. We got at least 6 in North Worcestershire made for bloody hard riding home this morning
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm so glad we picked next weekend. Had the WWB taken place this weekend, we'd all have a very long ride (push) ahead of us. The Towers is officially cut off now and they've forecast it dropping to -12 once it stops snowing.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mike

Post by Mike »

I wouldn't of made it back tonight pal for sure would of stayed in the van on car park it's still snowing heavy here not stopped all day. I'm over it now want it to go again :|
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yep ... air ambulance is in the air non-stop and just about every road is properly blocked ... yet, I've just had to help free two cars. Strangely both travelling to Cardiff and both blindly following their satnavs :roll:
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Just got back home. Seven of us in all turned up. Both days were rather nippy :shock: Obviously everything on the tops is well frozen but there's not a lot of snow about really, maybe a couple of centimetres. Looks like the band of snow stopped some way short of North Yorkshire. Some very dicey sheet ice in places. I'll get some photos sorted out once I've got the fire going and stuff brought in from the car (at the top of the lane).
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Really enjoyed that, might try a brain dump tomorrow somepoint. Ironic how I went up to Yorkshire and all the snow fell back at home in Essex! Traffic was apparently chaos today back home, but it had eased off by the time I got back, a few snowy covered local roads (glad they were empty as the car was very tail happy!) - average speed 58mph for the 244 mile trip (4hrs 12mins, Kettlewell to Colchester) :mrgreen:

Really good to see everyone, literally freezing, lots of ice patches - and very dry! Never done a winter Bear Bones trip with dry feet before, that's a first. Cheers everyone :cool:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Yep, good riding and good craic that. Thanks everyone for your company :-bd

Glad you got back OK Zip, good effort. There's snow lying up here in Newcastle too. It seems like the Dales was about the only place NOT to getting snow yesterday :roll:

Will sort some photos tonight.
Rob A

Post by Rob A »

Thanks all for cracking weekend with a proper winter feel. My drive home was fine with just a bit of snow where I am .
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Chew started a post ride thread in the "Your Trips and Adventures" section - http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... 10&t=11306 I've posted some of my shots there.