Yorkshire Winter Bivi

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

Re: Yorkshire Winter Bivi

Post by Mike »

Super, if I can't get it off ill post up here. If I do I'll see you at the cafe in Kettlewell for coffee :-bd
Rob A

Post by Rob A »

Hello, I am hoping to make it along for this but it will depend on work next week. I will confirm once I know.
stucowp

Post by stucowp »

Just a quick weather update ground conditions are a no worse than usual at this time of year, long range forecast for next weekend is dryish with a fairly decent wind from the west and cold, like 2'c without the wind chill factor considered but if it stays like this that's a good do bring a good winter bag and wrap up warm for cracking ride and be thankful Chew slapped my wrist on the route choice a few times!

I'm hoping to ride Friday afternoon if anyone fancies a slightly different but scenic route around the dales, and I'm taking a slightly extended route to get to zarinas on Saturday morning if anyone fancies that as well, it's a little of piste shall we say but good crack!

See you all next week!
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Still planning to meet you lot next week.

Went for a quick overnighter last night to test some kit. Still a fair bit of lying snow up here but mild last night.

What do we think the chances of a bothy are? My only shelter option is a small tarp and bivvy bag. In a full bothy situation it'll keep me alive, but if it's wet or windy it won't be pleasant. If there's a good chance of the bothy being full/locked, and the forecast is rubbish nearer the weekend, I might have to wimp out.

Is there a rough plan for the route?
Chew

Post by Chew »

thenorthwind wrote:What do we think the chances of a bothy are?
The plan is for shelter, but it can't be guaranteed so people need to come prepared for a night out just in case.
Both forecasts i have, currently have say it'll be below zero on Saturday night.

I'm only bringing a bivi as backup, but i'll have my winter bag.
Sure if people are stuck, someone can lend out some kit.
thenorthwind wrote:Is there a rough plan for the route?
The routes always a secret (aka i can change my mind).

Next people will be wanting a spreadsheet :wink:

Theres parking as you come into the village, and i believe its £5 for the weekend. Potential cheeky parking in the village, but please dont be a tw#t
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=39 ... 72284&lm=0

Also bring some extra capacity to carry some wood up to the bothy. Spread out between us it shouldnt be much. :-bd
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Hey Chew,

I'm borderline for this now. I hope to make it, but my car MOT expires over the weekend, and I had to replace the windscreen and some tyres at the weekend to even think about taking it to an MOT station - which means bike faff time disappeared. Hopefully I'll be able to get my act together over this week, sort the bike and pack some kit.

Might have to be a bit careful steaming up the Yorkshire roads in the morning with the forecast at the low temperatures they are, and my er new summer tyres on the car :|
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Zippy, I'll sell you a perfectly decent swb trafic that has a valid mot and works perfectly.
Stop all your faffing around. :roll:
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Sorry, don't do diesel. (might make exceptions for ludicrous power with 8 cylinders or more)
Chew

Post by Chew »

Zippy wrote:Might have to be a bit careful steaming up the Yorkshire roads in the morning with the forecast at the low temperatures they are, and my er new summer tyres on the car
Id be tempted just to stick to the main roads to Skipton and then go up from there if the weathers questionable.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Zippy wrote:Sorry, don't do diesel. (might make exceptions for ludicrous power with 8 cylinders or more)
At least it works and is road legal.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Unless there's a huge dump of snow on Saturday morning then all the roads will be clear. It's Yorkshire not bloody Lapland! :roll:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Taylor wrote:
Zippy wrote:Sorry, don't do diesel. (might make exceptions for ludicrous power with 8 cylinders or more)
At least it works and is road legal.
As is mine :grin:

Just checked the winter gritting routes - the B roads from the south (off the A59) are on the main winter gritting routes - so actually should be alright (just slimy slippy slidey due to salt rather than ice) :-bd
whitestone wrote:Unless there's a huge dump of snow on Saturday morning then all the roads will be clear. It's Yorkshire not bloody Lapland! :roll:
Yeah, I'll have no trouble getting through - but summer tyres + roads covered in slimy salt + RWD = large dab of oppo and significantly reduced speed - hence take it easy/careful. I don't suddenly need a 4x4 with studded tyres - although it's a good excuse :lol:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

The plan is for shelter, but it can't be guaranteed so people need to come prepared for a night out just in case.
Both forecasts i have, currently have say it'll be below zero on Saturday night.
I'll certainly be prepared to sleep out, but it will be for survival rather than comfort.

If someone wanted to bring a moderately sized tarp for communal use if necessary, I'd volunteer to carry it/part of it.
The routes always a secret (aka i can change my mind).
I ask mainly so I can tell my partner where I'm going to be, but I know where we're starting/finishing and where we're stopping (I think), and we'll be in a group, albeit some strangers from the internet :lol: (I'm just used to buggering off to the hills on my own).
Also bring some extra capacity to carry some wood up to the bothy.
I meant to ask you about that. Will do!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Zippy - we live in the area (in the hills outside Skipton) and use summer tyres all year round without problem.

Mind - you: when you are heading up Wharfedale from Skipton you will come to Threshfield which has a hump back bridge on the edge of the village. There is currently a car sized hole about 1 metre off the ground in the hedge about 20 metres beyond the bridge :o

Picture here (prior to car interface): https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.06656 ... 312!8i6656
Chew

Post by Chew »

Keep an eye on the forecast. Sunday could be fun:
https://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/ ... /long.html
Mike

Post by Mike »

Thinking its going to be bloody cold. My hands are going to love that...Not :shock:
Think the poggies will be coming out!
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

It's beginning to look a lot like snow :mrgreen:

(goes checks snow socks are in car)
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

From Chew's first post:
Deserters, splitters, moaners will be shot
I'll bring some extra rounds just in case :wink:
Rob A

Post by Rob A »

Looks like I will be able to make it up on Saturday, the weather should make it quite festive!
bearlymoving

Post by bearlymoving »

I think lack of an appropriate bike is going to rule me out of this. I have one, but it's in bits, and my plan to rebuild it last weekend didn't really pan out.

Sorry Chew, and I hope you all have a cracking time. Snow could be fun.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

gma wrote: I have one, but it's in bits, and my plan to rebuild it last weekend didn't really pan out.
Ditto - but the plans is I'll be there. Might have a couple of late nights coming up :| :-bd
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Show of hands / guestlist?

From flicking through the thread:

Chew
Stucowp
Whitestone (+Kath?)
Mike (think he’s bailing)
Windjammer
Thenorthwind
Rob A (TBC)
Zippy (pending MOT result!)
Chew

Post by Chew »

People can just rock up, but we'll be setting off from the cafe at noon.

The hut should sleep 10/12 depending on how "friendly" everyone is. Usual rules of scissor/paper/stone in case anyone needs to sleep outside :wink:

I'm not your mum, but come prepared. Both forecasts say proper winter conditions, plus theres a 500m hill to get over on sunday :-bd

https://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/ ... /long.html
https://www.metcheck.com/WEATHER/16days ... 2&lon=-2.1
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Pleased to see the forecasts predicting the wind dropping off as Saturday progresses (or overnight into Sunday depending on which forecast you look at). Looking forward to the snow, but the wind I can live without.

Fingers crossed for your MOT Zippy!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Have fun guys I won't be coming up after all. Keep those fingers covered up, that looks cold :shock: