November BAM in Fife

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Blair512

November BAM in Fife

Post by Blair512 »

Anyone fancy a bivvy somewhere in the Lomonds next Friday night (27th)? I know it was mentioned earlier in the year but nothing came of it.

I'll be leaving work in Grangemouth and cycling through, I'm thinking up through Blairadam forest, round the south side of Loch Leven, possibly a pint in Scotland Well and then up over the Bishop Hill to bivvy somewhere in Glen Vale. Other option is a train to Markinch and a short ride up onto the East Lomond, either bivvy at the top or at the Limekilns around the back. Open to suggestions for other places but I need to be in Auchtermuchty by 11:00 on the Saturday
Last edited by Blair512 on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fatbikephil

Re: Lomond Hills Bivvy

Post by fatbikephil »

I'm out on the bevvy with work that night otherwise I'd be up for that - could do Saturday as I'll be de-toxing?
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Ach I'm out on the bevvy Saturday night or I'd of been happy to change it. If no one can make it perhaps we can organise a Fife bivvy for Novembers BAM?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Count me in - need to get some practice for my campaign to do next years BAM. Sat 7th or W/E of 17th - 19th or 25th to 26th looking good for me
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

I'm down in Derby pitbitching for Mrs Alan63 at track meet. Enjoy.
BaM 2021
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

htrider wrote:Count me in - need to get some practice for my campaign to do next years BAM. Sat 7th or W/E of 17th - 19th or 25th to 26th looking good for me
How about 18-19th November for some bumbling around and a bivvy somewhere in the hills?
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Alan63 wrote:I'm down in Derby pitbitching for Mrs Alan63 at track meet. Enjoy.
You make it along in November Alan?
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

Blair512 wrote:
Alan63 wrote:I'm down in Derby pitbitching for Mrs Alan63 at track meet. Enjoy.
You make it along in November Alan?
I'll try to make it. Calendar is full of cycling already....everyone else's but mine!
BaM 2021
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Blair512 wrote:
htrider wrote:Count me in - need to get some practice for my campaign to do next years BAM. Sat 7th or W/E of 17th - 19th or 25th to 26th looking good for me
How about 18-19th November for some bumbling around and a bivvy somewhere in the hills?
Looks good for me. Plenty options in the Lomonds - woods or moor or even next to one of the res's. The best bit in Glenvale is directly under John Knox's pulpit which is a bit unstable at the mo so we may end up under 50 tons of rock if it collapses :shock:

Coastal path past Anstruther has some good spots (and caves!) plus I was scoping out some sites in Pitmedden at the weekend as well so loads of options.
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

OK 18th it is.

Agree John Knox's probably not the safest place although you could set up where the path takes the diversion up the other side of the burn at the lower end. Used to camp up Pitmedden a lot in my teens so I know a couple of good spots up that way and a couple I'd like to check out near Lochmill Loch on the way out towards Newburgh. I've never made it out there but looks OK on the map.

Yet to camp on the Coastal Path so that could be a good option as well, I like the sound of a bivvy in a cave!
Blair512

Re: November BAM in Fife

Post by Blair512 »

Still on for this weekend Phil? Any other takers?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Blair512 wrote:Still on for this weekend Phil? Any other takers?
Ha was going to ask you the same thing - yup I'm in - what you thinking? Was scoping out a couple of tree covered bivvy spots on the way home tonight and last wednesday. Last wednesday I rode up past Hol res and into Glen vale. The woods by the res apear to have dissapeared although there is still a section left on the path from Holl to West Feal Farm. Tonight I was eyeing up woods at the top of Maspie Den (a bit iffy but should be OK) or those at the start of the cycleway south of Strath - looks pretty good. I know the trail pretty well as I've rode most of them but never had to consider stopping overnight! Its probably going to be a bit breezy so some shelter would be good.....
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

htrider wrote:
Ha was going to ask you the same thing - yup I'm in - what you thinking? Was scoping out a couple of tree covered bivvy spots in the Lomonds on the way home tonight and last wednesday. Last wednesday I rode up past Hol res and into Glen vale. The woods by the res apear to have dissapeared although there is still a section left on the path from Holl to West Feal Farm. Tonight I was eyeing up woods at the top of Maspie Den (a bit iffy but should be OK) or those at the start of the cycleway south of Strath - looks pretty good. I know the trail pretty well as I've rode most of them but never had to consider stopping overnight! Its probably going to be a bit breezy so some shelter would be good.....
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

htrider wrote:
Ha was going to ask you the same thing - yup I'm in - what you thinking? Was scoping out a couple of tree covered bivvy spots on the way home tonight and last wednesday. Last wednesday I rode up past Hol res and into Glen vale. The woods by the res apear to have dissapeared although there is still a section left on the path from Holl to West Feal Farm. Tonight I was eyeing up woods at the top of Maspie Den (a bit iffy but should be OK) or those at the start of the cycleway south of Strath - looks pretty good. I know the trail pretty well as I've rode most of them but never had to consider stopping overnight! Its probably going to be a bit breezy so some shelter would be good.....
There's a good wee spot at the tip of Harperleas reservoir, in the trees where you cross the burn at the wee dam. I've never camped in the Maspie Den, always thought the bottom section would be a good place to spend an evening but you'd have to be away early in the morning. I've camped at various spots around the cycleway to Strath, have you been to the wee bothy down that way? It lacks a door and there's only room for 2 or 6 lying side by side on the floor but it's another good place to spend an evening.

Whee are you based? Any thoughts on a route? I'll probably end up cycling across from Falkirk on Saturday morning.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I'm based in a place called Saline just outside of Dunfermline - depending on which way you are coming across we could meet up in Dunf or ont he Dunf to Alloa cycleway somewhere
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

How about we meet on Comrie main street somewhere Phil? We can just pick a route from there unless you have something specific in mind?

Are you bringing a bivvy or a tent? The cold the last few days has me swithering on bringing the wee tent along!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Sounds good - hows about at the entrance to the cycleway opposite the junction of the A907 and the Saline road - Nt 020 894. Its about 10 minutes for me so what ever time suits you (not too early!) From there we can continue along to Dunf on the cycleway and use one of a few ways of getting to the Lomonds - we'll see how the fancy takes us and the weather.

I was hoping to get some use out of my not used very much deschutes tarp and bivi bag but maybe the wee tent is a better bet given that I have yet to buy a winter sleeping bag....
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Perfect, how about lunchtime? PM me your number and I can drop you a text when I'm 15/20 mins away?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Ideal - moby number pm'd!
Weather looking good but will be a bit chilly!
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

Have a good trip guys. Sorry I can't make it. Juniors 10th birthday.
BaM 2021