Peak 200 tomorrow

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Roobell7

Peak 200 tomorrow

Post by Roobell7 »

After perfect weekend weather in the peaks. I find myself looking out the window at the rain.

Claire and I came up on Saturday and rode the Tissington and High Peak Trails to Middleton Top, then back to Ashborne on the NCN Route 547. It was easy spinning but rather enjoyable. (Especially burning off a couple on e-bikes on the single speed, up the Tissington :lol: )

We camped at Mandale camp site and rode to a wonderful meal at the Lathkil Hotel. The view across the dale at sunset wasn't bad either

Last night we had clear skies, no wind and what looked like a full moon. Prefect conditions to ride in. The dew was somewhat heavy though

This morning we cane up to Ladybower and rode around the reservoirs. Again the weather was prefect. Afterwards we drove into Hathersage and checked out a new shop. Claire took home a new merino tee shirt and shorts. I picked up a stem cell pouch for an extra water bottle and cargo cage for later adventures

After coffee an cake next door, I pointed the sat nav to home and waved Claire off :grin:

So, back on topic

Train to Hope. Restock in Spar. Quick look around eighteen and pedal up to the YHA. (where upon the first spots of rain started). Standard conditions then for an attempt at the Peak 200 tomorrow :wink:

I rode the southern section early this year as a taster for bikepacking. Fitting then that the full route is the same for an ITT

I'm probably over geared at 30 x 17 for the hills but otherwise it should be fun of various types!!

Lock un load. Mukluk ready for action by Andy Wright

Night all,

Andy
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Peak 200 tomorrow

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Good luck and I really hope you've better weather than we have here :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Roobell7

Post by Roobell7 »

Weather held until 3am. Made it round just shy of 30 hours. Apart from problems interpreting the GPX trace joining and leaving the Mosal Trail navigation was ok. Ended up riding 242km.

No mechanicals or injuries.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Great effort. :-bd

Coming off the Monsal Trail onto that steep climb has befuddled a few people in the past, me included.
Roobell7

Post by Roobell7 »

Here are my two records of my ride: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/16716211 or https://www.strava.com/activities/1125711386

The RidewithGPS was recorded on my phone and it got a little confused when I went indoors. Hence the extra distance recorded. The elevation though would seem more in keeping with the official route than Strava's

And here's my fun at the end of the Mosal Trail. I guess it makes sense if you are coming down the PBW but less so from the Trail. Of course once you've seen it, its easy :|

Cost me 22 mins and 2.7km of extra effort :cry:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I believe the proprietress of a certain Mancunian bikepacking-centric bike shop got lost there for 45 minutes then gave up and had a sleep on the trail.

Good ride that though. :-bd Didn't feel like bivvying?
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Well done. Glad to see you messed around at km 210 - 211 and followed the route, a great bit of energy sapping. My understyanding is that the lefthand route is acceptable :wink:
Roobell7

Post by Roobell7 »

In Reverse wrote:I believe the proprietress of a certain Mancunian bikepacking-centric bike shop got lost there for 45 minutes then gave up and had a sleep on the trail.

Good ride that though. :-bd Didn't feel like bivvying?
I think the ladies sitting by the bridge at Blackwell Mill drinking wine were bemused to see me ride past them three times. Twice from the same direction :o

I never got to a point where I felt sleep necessary. Once the rain started I preferred to continue rather than put up some shelter. I figured right, or wrong that I would lose more time stopping and resting, than I was losing by walking up the steeper hills

I stopped at the bus shelter next to the Fox House Inn on Hathersage Road to cook some packet rice and have a hot brew. After about 35 mins the midges found me and it was time to pack-up and move on. I stopped again at the toilets near the Ladybower dam. I cooked some porridge, had a brew of coffee and tried to dry out some kit. Left a bit of a muddy mess on the floor there and was a bit concerned when a service van pulled up but they only changed the sanitation bins and didn't comment
PaulB wrote:Well done. Glad to see you messed around at km 210 - 211 and followed the route, a great bit of energy sapping. My understyanding is that the lefthand route is acceptable :wink:
Yer, that wasn't fun. There was no sign of the BW and it was just a drag/carry up through the bracken. It pretty much took out all my energy reserves and I was concerned about resupply points on the remaining route. I didn't fancy a ride off course to find food. I was down to an energy gel, a single baby bell and a few soggy trebor mints. The garage at Bamford was a godsend and I somehow managed to spend £17 there :roll:

I saw yesterday that the route can be started at any point but I still think it requires riding in the correct direction. The route starting from Edale is pretty backend loaded with stiff climbs. I cursing all that came after passing the 200km point.

In the end the time was nothing spectacular but I achieved my objective of completing an ITT course as published

It could all have ended almost before it began when I slipped off the path climbing up to Cut Gate. I was struggling with having the bike on the outside and my feet against the hillside, so I swapped. A few steps further on and my foot slipped off the path and down I went, taking the bike over my head. We stopped before the bottom of the clough and neither of us suffered damage :shock: