Scotland Winter Bivi.

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Ray Young

Scotland Winter Bivi.

Post by Ray Young »

Stu has set the date for the winter bivi as Dec 16/17 so following tradition that's when I think ours should be. However, after 5 years of choosing the destination and setting the route I was wondering if anyone else would like to volunteer and take a turn? Thanks.
Last edited by Ray Young on Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScotRoutes

Re: Scotland SE Winter Bivi.

Post by ScotRoutes »

How far north would you be prepared to go Ray :wink:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I'm up for this as it will be good prep for my assault on the 2018 BAM.
Are we after a bothy or just some trees somewhere?? If the latter Tensmuir forest is an option. Northwards options - Culra bothy or Ben Alder cottage? Or another nice bothy I know with easy access from Dalwhinnie??
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

htrider wrote:I'm up for this as it will be good prep for my assault on the 2018 BAM.
Are we after a bothy or just some trees somewhere?? If the latter Tensmuir forest is an option. Northwards options - Culra bothy or Ben Alder cottage? Or another nice bothy I know with easy access from Dalwhinnie??
Culra? Is it open yet?

I like the idea of the other one near Dalwhinnie and I think I know the one you mean. Or Tarf Hotel from Blair Atholl?
Gari

Post by Gari »

Tarf is always a good option :-bd
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Traditionally the Scottish bivi has always been at a bothy. I'd be happy with Tarf Hotel from Blair Atholl. Might need to remove the SE from the title though.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Culra is unlocked and the main room looks asbestos free to me...
Tarf hotel would be an epic! Been meaning to fight me way through to it for ages
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

htrider wrote:Culra is unlocked and the main room looks asbestos free to me...
Tarf hotel would be an epic! Been meaning to fight me way through to it for ages
Epic in a good way? I've never been but it's been on my list too.

I wonder if the bothy in Glen Feshie (that I can't be bothered spelling) will be finished by then?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Ray Young wrote:Traditionally the Scottish bivi has always been at a bothy. I'd be happy with Tarf Hotel from Blair Atholl. Might need to remove the SE from the title though.
Hence my earlier question. Four of us had a bivi down at Findhorn for last years Scottish Highlands Winter Bivi. A combined effort somewhere around Perthshire might be in order.

If a bothy, then Duinish would allow an approach from either north or south, or could be looped into a train-supported trip using Dalwhinnie and/or Rannoch/Blair Atholl/Pitlochry

Could also visit this en route from the south...

http://archive.jamesturrell.com/artwork ... rskyspace/
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I'd planned on doing Tarf this February in the snow but the horrible weather kyboshed it. My plan was for a fat bike job over the hill from glen tilt rather than up to the falls and up by the river. It would be a mission I suspect....
Duinish would be a good one and as well as that sculpture (which looks fab) there is a nice trail over from Loch Tummel to Blair Atholl I've been meaning to bag for a wee while.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

htrider wrote:I'd planned on doing Tarf this February in the snow but the horrible weather kyboshed it. My plan was for a fat bike job over the hill from glen tilt rather than up to the falls and up by the river. It would be a mission I suspect....
Duinish would be a good one and as well as that sculpture (which looks fab) there is a nice trail over from Loch Tummel to Blair Atholl I've been meaning to bag for a wee while.

Piemonster and I did some wandering around over that way earlier this year, sussing out potential bivvy spots. We stuck to the gravel forest tracks, ending up down at the Queens View (an intentional cake-related decision) and back via Killiecrankie. I'm led to believe the direct descent to Blair Atholl via Loch Bhac is worthwhile.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

htrider wrote:I'd planned on doing Tarf this February in the snow but the horrible weather kyboshed it. My plan was for a fat bike job over the hill from glen tilt rather than up to the falls and up by the river. It would be a mission I suspect....
I'd quite like to try this myself, but it could be an epic in the making. Sadly I no longer have a fat bike, but this sounds like an excuse if ever there was one...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

AlasdairMc wrote:
I'd quite like to try this myself, but it could be an epic in the making. Sadly I no longer have a fat bike, but this sounds like an excuse if ever there was one...
My hope was for large quantities of consolidated spring snow over which I would ride effortlessly - I live in hope....
I'd vote for Duinish or Alt shiecheachain
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Count me in, happy to go along with the group decision, hoping there's not lots of snow though as I lack a fat bike!
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

I think my record of actually turning up is about 1/5* but stranger things have happened. Will keep an eye on this...

*In fairness last year I spannered my knee
Ray Young

Re: Scotland Winter Bivi.

Post by Ray Young »

Looks like Scotland is coming together this year so I've dropped the SE from the title. I'm happy to go with the flow.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Ray Young wrote:I'm happy to go with the flow.
Buggeration! As the in-laws aren't up for christmas this year it looks as though we might be in London that week end for the mother in law's birthday :cry: .
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

If you want to be Tin pot dictator for this Ray, you can always change the date :mrgreen:
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Would be a pity if you didn't make it Ray, I've enjoyed your company at the last 2. I'd be happy to do a different weekend. If not I bet the southerners will be hosting one you could join in :-bd
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Ray Young wrote:...we might be in London that week end for the mother in law's birthday :cry: .
Chilterns Winter Bivvy, Ray. Does she cycle? It would make a birthday to remember (or one she would be unable to forget :lol: ).
May you always have tail wind.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

MuddyPete wrote:
Ray Young wrote:...we might be in London that week end for the mother in law's birthday :cry: .
Chilterns Winter Bivvy, Ray. Does she cycle? It would make a birthday to remember (or one she would be unable to forget :lol: ).
I doubt she'd survive, she's gonna be 82 :lol: .
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

I'm up for the winter bivvy trip too.

Got this gut feeling some anti-social so-and-so will organise an Xmas night out for the same time.
BaM 2021
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

So no firm plans laid out yet, what are the options? Do we need a wee vote and plan some routes in from there? I'm assuming as this is all of Scotland there may be multiple contingents arriving from various directions?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'm happy with the Duinish plan. Could be approached from north or south, with the possibility of turning it into a loop for those after a longer ride.

What are the other options on the table?

Happy to go with whatever weekend suits the majority too.
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

So we know the date. Do we know the venue yet?

Cheers

C