Scotland Winter Bivi.

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Borderer

Re: Scotland Winter Bivi.

Post by Borderer »

Hi Ray - I am thinking now that we might make our own way up. I am a bit concerned that not setting off til 2pm may mean arriving after dark and I'm not keen on that. Maybe you could message me with the location of the coal so I can get the fire going if we arrive first....
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Borderer wrote:Hi Ray - I am thinking now that we might make our own way up. I am a bit concerned that not setting off til 2pm may mean arriving after dark and I'm not keen on that. Maybe you could message me with the location of the coal so I can get the fire going if we arrive first....
Bridget, what's the concern?
I should have a spare set of lights by then if you need to borrow some.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

I guess I have my responsible hat on or something. Lots more potential for things to go wrong in the winter after dark. Plus the temp will drop a lot then. There is snow cover already so it is unlikely to disappear before the 16th.
We have lights, I am just a bit anxious that if Joe can't keep up with you all then he will slow everyone down and it will get stressful, more so if it starts getting dark. It's cool, I think it would suit us better just to take our car. Thanks though.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Borderer wrote:I guess I have my responsible hat on or something. Lots more potential for things to go wrong in the winter after dark. Plus the temp will drop a lot then. There is snow cover already so it is unlikely to disappear before the 16th.
We have lights, I am just a bit anxious that if Joe can't keep up with you all then he will slow everyone down and it will get stressful, more so if it starts getting dark. It's cool, I think it would suit us better just to take our car. Thanks though.
Ok Bridget, no problem. I would like to say that we travel at the pace of the slowest and wouldn't dream of leaving anyone behind but your decision.

The coal. From the right end of the building (the derelict end) look up the bank to see a thin, triangular metal post. Head up to it, go straight across and down the other side. Look left along the base of the bank, the bag of coal is wrapped in a bin bag. You'll need kindling or fire lighters to get it burning.

This means we have two spare places in the van if anyone wants a lift from Edinburgh or picking up along the M90, A9.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Are these posts not publicly searchable? Hope not!

You may well catch us up anyway....
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I'll likely be setting off later so will act as a sweeper!
Ray a couple of pals from Speyside may also join us. They know its getting a bit full so will be anticipating camping
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

htrider wrote:I'll likely be setting off later so will act as a sweeper!
Ray a couple of pals from Speyside may also join us. They know its getting a bit full so will be anticipating camping
R & I ?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ScotRoutes wrote:
htrider wrote:I'll likely be setting off later so will act as a sweeper!
R & I ?
Aye, Iona is up for some short distance riding / bothying / camping and Rob will tag along to carry her stuff!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'm planning the northern approach - from Dalnaspidal. It's about 9km, mostly on good track. There's 1.5km or so where it might be boggy. No significant climbs either.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I'm planning to come in from Dunkeld by what I hope is not a too-ambitious route, checking out a few other shelters en route. At worst case, my route will have been a step too far, and I'll be spending my night somewhere short of my destination, hopefully with a roof over my head.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My apparent lack of ambition is partially down to experiencing deep snow on a couple of consecutive days in the past week. I'll possibly review plans as weather/ground conditions develop.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Looking like a good day on Saturday maybe some showers (snow) Sunday. Temps Saturday night down to -6 or so :-bd
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

We are going to have to duck out of this one. Sorry. Joe has been really upset about missing a Christmas party that is taking place on the Sunday, which is kind of understandable. I hadn't realised that it clashed with the bivi. I'm quite gutted to be missing this, but hopefully will get to meet you all sometime next year instead.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Borderer wrote:We are going to have to duck out of this one. Sorry. Joe has been really upset about missing a Christmas party that is taking place on the Sunday, which is kind of understandable. I hadn't realised that it clashed with the bivi. I'm quite gutted to be missing this, but hopefully will get to meet you all sometime next year instead.
Sorry to hear that. There's no understanding the youth of today. Why would a young teenager want to give up the opportunity to ride in freezing weather, stay in a run down building with no facilities and glean amazing amounts of knowledge from inebriated old gits just so he can go to a party with people of his own age? Probably be girls there too! :roll: .

Anyway, next time Bridget. Maybe the Spring Thing.
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

Ray Young wrote: Sorry to hear that. There's no understanding the youth of today. Why would a young teenager want to give up the opportunity to ride in freezing weather, stay in a run down building with no facilities and glean amazing amounts of knowledge from inebriated old gits just so he can go to a party with people of his own age? Probably be girls there too! :roll: .

Anyway, next time Bridget. Maybe the Spring Thing.
Best post I've seen in a while Ray. Have a great (and safe) trip. Hopefully be at the Spring Thing with junior too.
BaM 2021
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Any stuff I should be bringing (in addition to my normal kit)?
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

ScotRoutes wrote:Any stuff I should be bringing (in addition to my normal kit)?
Music on a Bluetooth device if you want, I'll be bringing a Bluetooth speaker.
I'll also be bringing a fire log or two to burn through the the night if it's needed.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Ray Young wrote:
ScotRoutes wrote:Any stuff I should be bringing (in addition to my normal kit)?
Music on a Bluetooth device if you want, I'll be bringing a Bluetooth speaker.
I'll also be bringing a fire log or two to burn through the the night if it's needed.
I was thinking about borrowing my daughters BT speaker but I'll have some music on my phone.

Fire log - can do ( I think. I've not started packing yet :wink: )
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

Ray, you need to let me know when we are meeting
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

jamiep wrote:Ray, you need to let me know when we are meeting
Sorry Jamie, PM'd you.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Bluetooth speaker gone AWOL, bringing mini speaker with headphone jack now.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Approx ETA at Duinis folks?
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

Ray Young wrote:Bluetooth speaker gone AWOL, bringing mini speaker with headphone jack now.
i have the party box https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-SoundCor ... B01MTB55WH
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

ScotRoutes wrote:Approx ETA at Duinis folks?
Thinking around sixish for Jamie, Blair and I.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'll likely be a bit earlier. I'd rather ride in with daylight (not that I'm afraid of the dark, just to enjoy the ride more).