Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Re: Scotland Winter Bivi.

Post by fatbikephil »

6 ish for me too, see yas later!
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Me too! On the train to Pitlochry now, and I’ll follow Phil’s route too so may see some folk en route.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Ray Young wrote:
Borderer wrote:We are going to have to duck out of this one. Sorry. Joe has been really upset about missing a Christmas party that is taking place on the Sunday, which is kind of understandable. I hadn't realised that it clashed with the bivi. I'm quite gutted to be missing this, but hopefully will get to meet you all sometime next year instead.
Sorry to hear that. There's no understanding the youth of today. Why would a young teenager want to give up the opportunity to ride in freezing weather, stay in a run down building with no facilities and glean amazing amounts of knowledge from inebriated old gits just so he can go to a party with people of his own age? Probably be girls there too! :roll: .

Anyway, next time Bridget. Maybe the Spring Thing.

Yes, I do believe the girls are the deciding factor :roll: It's the ice skating Christmas party where the boys are outnumbered by the girls by about 10:1
The the sort of open goal that's hard to miss....
Last edited by Borderer on Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Ah'm oot!

I had to park at Balsporran due to the snow depth at Dalnaspidal. The 7km or so from Balsporran took me the best part of two hours on account of the snow. It was then after 17:00, I was knackered and already hungry. It was dark, -4c with snow showers. The prospect of setting off into the relative wilderness in those conditions seemed somewhat foolhardy so I took the, only marginally, safer option of retreating via the A9.

I hope everyone else found a better route in and have a great night.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

The other route in made me want a fat bike. Phil dabbed a couple of times, the rest of us walked most of the 6k there and back.

Good fun though, whisky and fire always a winning combination.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

TBH if I'd had company I'd have probably just made the additional effort. :lol:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

That was proper hardcore :-bd
More later
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

ScotRoutes wrote:TBH if I'd had company I'd have probably just made the additional effort. :lol:
It was noted that the one time we go North, none of the Northern folk turned up!
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

Just home, great weekend, pics to follow once I have the energy!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

AlasdairMc wrote:
ScotRoutes wrote:TBH if I'd had company I'd have probably just made the additional effort. :lol:
It was noted that the one time we go North, none of the Northern folk turned up!
Oi!! It wasn't for the want of trying :lol:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

AlasdairMc wrote:
To be fair, you are all northerners to many folk. Even those of us already identifying as northerners.

All relative I guess.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

And it should be noted that the Scottish Winter bivi wasn't actually in The North of Scotland, the geographical midpoint being about 5km further north than Duinish. So, technically, another Southern one..
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

:lol: to be fair I wouldn't of fancied being out in that by myself Colin, I'd have probably made the same call had I been by myself
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Blair512 wrote::lol: to be fair I wouldn't of fancied being out in that by myself Colin, I'd have probably made the same call had I been by myself
I'm quite glad to hear Colin's account of the conditions up there as it validated my decision to return by the South route. I managed about 50 yards from the bothy going North then turned around due to the unknown state of the trail ahead, and it sounds like I'd have had quite a long plod back to civilization.