Way betterer this year ... Chilterns Winter Bivvy

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Way betterer this year ... Chilterns Winter Bivvy

Post by RIP »

Right, ta Ben. There's an outside possibility that I'm over-analysing this. Or even just being over-anal about it :lol:. Then again there are Standards to be maintained or where does it all end :smile:.

Here's hoping for two feet of snow anyway.
Last edited by RIP on Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Zippy wrote:I fancy sleeping under a roof this time - why don't we just have it as a race? :cool:
Race :o I suppose we could potter about for a bit then have a sprint in the final few hundred yards, a signal bell would be a nice touch and perhaps people sitting backwards on motor cycles filming it (very scary sitting backwards on a MC) of course we would need a finish tape otherwise the said woodshed could end like a apocalyptic junkyard of twisted and broken bikes.

It’s going to end badly, I’ll bring the tent :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Race doesn't work, most of us don't know or won't remember where the actual final spot is...!
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Rock, paper, scissors it is then :lol:
Old Aliens

Post by Old Aliens »

Cut the grass in field today... therefore those out of luck with the other options will at least be less wet...I was intending to tarp it myself but having read the last few posts...I'm in the shepherds hut!
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Shepherds Hut takes two ... one on the bench ... one on the floor. I think Nick bagged it solo last year and had the best sleep of all of us. I'd well up for a race because I actually know where the finish line is ... but even if I lose I'm claiming rights to a spot in the round house on account of something called "organiser's privilege". Which is totally a thing.
I'm just going outside ...
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

Indeed I did bag the uber-luxurious shepherd's hut and damn marvellous it was too, despite being called a lightwieght and told to leave my bearbones membership at the door of said hut.... :mrgreen:

But this year I'll have a new bivvy to try out... wooo!!
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...
Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

Old Allens wrote:Cut the grass in field today... therefore those out of luck with the other options will at least be less wet....
Cheers for that chap, I'll be an outdoor ground dweller so much appreciated, anyway, I'm staying well clear of all that combustible material in the wood shed, after all those sprouts and pickled red cabbage at dinner, its going to be a rather hazardous place X_X. Brapppp !
Never knowingly under biked...
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

After reading about the cold snap that's coming, I'm suddenly wishing I'd not tried to HTFU and gone with an indoor option.

Oh well, the bag will supposedly keep me alive down to -4 and I reckon I'll be wearing my merino long johns. :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Rich3rd mate - I've just ordered a copy of Hail Sweary (I didn't know there was a 2013 update -
I'm still operating from my original 1st and 2nd editions) hoping I'd have it by next weekend to use for campfire hilarity but sadly it won't arrive in time. Just have to bring it on the WE instead then!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Zippy wrote:I fancy sleeping under a roof this time - why don't we just have it as a race? :cool:
Or just, not leave the pub? :cool: :cool:
May you always have tail wind.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Now we're just a week away, here's your Daily Update

The Riders
And then we were 12. JamesO is sadly a non-starter :| due to a combination of work and family Xmas duties. We've all been there.

Details
The pub has asked us all to order from the Xmas menu, which for 9 of us wasn't an issue. Ive emailed the splitters and hope to bring them back into the fold in the next 48 hours.

The Route
Reg and I were looking at the timings, and in order not to arrive too early at the pub, but still get to the Wendover Cafe before the run out of cake or close, we may start from Tring at 2pm. He's got a route extension towards the end that we might consider depending on the weather/mood of the fat bloke at the back (that'd be me ...)

The Weather
We're currently forecast a bright clear day with a max of 4 and min of -1. Snow is unlikely. Mud is inevitable.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I currently don't have a bike... I will attempt to rectify this in the week some time.

Might just chuck some grippy tyres on old faithful and join the fat guy at the back. Will be the first outdoor ride I've done since the BB200. :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Thanks Tim. Will miss your presence James chap - 'season's greetings to you and yours'.

Loving the carefree approach there Richard - bike? Pfft! A mere accessory :). Quite intrigued by what the non-'outdoor riding' part of your biking Venn diagram looks like! Do you just bung a load of BP kit onto an exercise or gym bike and pedal away for a few hours? :smile:

Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Yeah, I train on a turbo whenever I can bring myself to. It's the only reason I'm "fast".
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Paging Dr Nick .... paging Dr Nick .... please go to the nearest computer or hand-held device and check your email.

Nick, you may see this first, but just need you to have a look at the Christmas menu and let me know your food order. We're such a large group they're asking that we all order from it and at this late stage, they hold all the cards.

Cheers fella
Tim
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

Opps! Sorry Tim :shock:

Somehow I missed your email. Choices just emailed to you

Thanks!
Nick
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

In the spirit of "TMS", who else is adding festive accessories to their bike this year?
Reg made a sterling effort last year and has set a high standard to which we should aspire :wink: .

Some believe "less is more"; but sometimes, "more is more" :-bd .
RIP

Post by RIP »

Funnily enough as we speak I'm just putting the finishing touches to my design for a lifesize reindeer lookalike costume for my bike. Found a nice red nose for it but having a bit of trouble sourcing enough fur to cover it all with. Might have to fall back on a repeat of last year's ;).

Did you manage to gerrout in t'snow in the end today?

MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

RIP wrote:Did you manage to gerrout in t'snow in the end today?
Yup. Contacted the local roadies on Friday, who told me their Sunday ride was cancelled due to festive weather but I'd be welcome to join their MTB ride. Ended up doing pretty much the same MTB ride I'd have done myself. Result!
Very festive: snow was lush, with lots of it. :-bd

Then came home; built a massive snowman (which looks like Shaun Ryder) with the sprog and back-lit its head with 2 Exposure Diablos for a super-spooky, ethereal effect :shock: .

Did you fix your machine?
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

In the spirit of "TMS", who else is adding festive accessories to their bike this year?
I pulled my bikepacky bike out of the shed this morning intent on some snow fun to find two flat tyres and a seized bottom bracket ... so I will be on my Arkose this weekend. Gonna stick some panniers on it and bring many kg of stuff I dont really need.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

TheBrownDog wrote:...two flat tyres and a seized bottom bracket ... so I will be on my Arkose this weekend. Gonna stick some panniers on it and bring many kg of stuff I dont really need.
Ace! I've already realised my sleeping options are "bulky & warm" vs. "lightweight & hypothermic". Will see what Saturday morning's forecast suggests.

Looks like you need slime tubes & a square-taper BB, mate :wink: .

Arkose - one of the blokes at the front of the ride today was on a CX bike, so that may well be a good option.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I've just pulled the mud tyres out of the garage. I figure maybe this time I'll try and get the bike working before the day before the ride...

...but that still probably wont happen. lol
RIP

Post by RIP »

My bike's under the quilt in our spare bed with some hot water bottles. Taking no chances. Contemplating shodding her with the Swampthings but that might make traction too easy.

Was that with Peter Horry's MTB Mob Pete, he's very dedicated with those Sun morning rides. Nah machine still "ongoing", will bore you with it at the weekend ;-).

psling

Post by psling »

Just scanning through this thread (just out of interest of course) and there seems to be a familiar story line emerging, especially given the time of year - no room at the Inn, sleeping in a sheherds' hut, bearing gifts, even the potential for someone to turn up on a donkey (given lack of available bicycle). Definitely has a familiar ring to it...
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.