Way betterer this year ... Chilterns Winter Bivvy

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jamesh

Re: Way betterer this year ... Chilterns Winter Bivvy

Post by Jamesh »

That kind oif confusion doesn't sound like a problem :grin: I'm based just outside Henley so not sure if that's South or West chilterns, as a point of difference. Is the overnight stop a private campsite per se?
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Both south and west Chilterns, I'd said. The stopover is Sam's field - its a small patch of land he's worked for a few years, clearing it and building some semi-permanent shelters. The sort of place anyone who likes breathing fresh air would give a kidney for if they had one to spare.
I'm just going outside ...
Dr Nick

Post by Dr Nick »

I'm in!
Am looking forward to this :-bd
Not so much a gravel grinder.... more a gravel (mud and tarmac) groveller...
RIP

Post by RIP »

'ello Nick, "Am looking forward to this" - you've obviously successfully blanked last year's capers then :grin:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
jameso

Post by jameso »

'In'

and happy to help on the route if needed - by the sound of it, it was needed last year :grin: guessing some of the cross-over points lead to confusion? Parking as last year if needed also.
RIP wrote:Welcome to the madhouse James. So now we have JamesO and JamesH in BBB Chilterns "subgroup" - could make for momentary confusion during "it's your round, James" :smile:
Not for me, I'll just be sure to point at t'other James faster than he can point at me : )

I still have most of the bottle of scotch I was goint to stash near the bivi spot too. May have to buy a new one though, just because.
RIP

Post by RIP »

"In" - Brill!

"point at t'other James faster than he can point at me" :lol:

Nah, nobody got lost last year - there was just a temporary mismatch of desired and actual locations :wink:.

Really enjoyed last year's route actually, a couple of top cafes, uphills were roads/tracks, downhills were nicely techy/silly, etc. Would vote for a repeat of that, but, er, without the getting lost bit.... DAMN, I mean.... er....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Count me in, I fancy a bivvy in the Chilterns :-bd
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Despite some trepidation saying this prior to meeting one and all of the SE gang, if l'm not completely ostracised by my own doing, I'd be happy to provide a bivvy/camp site next Spring or whenever. (aside a few things I run the family farm just outside of Henley and have a rustic camping field that I'd like to further develop over winter, everything else permitting)

I host Warmshowers folks so the offer would be there regardless
Gummikuh

Post by Gummikuh »

I would be interested in this and I am sure I can speak for another.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Afternoon folks. Bored to death at work so thought I do a quick recce of who's in and who's a maybe. By my reckoning we're an even dozen.

Two questions: is everyone ok to cover the same route as last year and can we cut out that loop (somewhere in Ashridge I think - I was already delirious)

One more question: are we happy with the same pub for dinner? They have a small function room out the back which they may let us have. If that's the consensus I will make a booking and see about that room. It may seem to soon to do so, but they fill up fast at that time of year.

Forecast is for rain ....

Yes People
Myself
RIP
MuddyPete
Rich3rd
Bigdummysteve
Pickers
JamesH
Dr Nick (yah ... Dr Nick!!)
JamesO
Chickenlegs
Gummikuh
Sam Of The Field

Maybe People
Benp1
RichardG
Zippy
RIP

Post by RIP »

Luvly, thanks 'Dog. Thought you were mulling (wine?) over having some nosh at the spot? I must admit the same pub for dinner has more appeal ;-). Can always have a pot-noodle second-course at the spot later on....

"Forecast is for rain" - excellent, we'll be able to play the Discbrake Concerto again down the hill after the pub :-bd.

I'll mail you last year's gpx in case you've mislaid it....

Need to go and rummage in the loft for the bike decorations.....

"R"

Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

Nice one TBD, good old fashioned cat herding going on there. I couldn't make last years ride (noro virus bottom burps and all that X_X ) so didn’t see the route, but I assume you went to the Red Lion at Princes Risborough which is a jolly nice place and sound great to me (pot noodle doesn’t :YMSICK: ), we are of course Chiltern 2 wheeled glamps. Don’t want to complicated a route though, far too much chance of loosing people (back to the cat herding again). ‘Reg’, I’ll have a copy of the .gpx if you’ve got it please.
Never knowingly under biked...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Have sent gpx to Tim. Cheers for coordinating!

Looks like we have a route, boozer, contestant list, at least two corking cafe pitstops, and a hideaway all sorted then (famous last words). Tim's even booked the weather. Obviously anathema to BP to have a Plan but at least it's there and we can pretend to completely ignore it if we get any hassle off the other mobs. Talking of whom....

<shields eyes with hand and looks into the distance> There does, ahem, seem to be a quantity of wibbling going on on the other threads doesn't there? Us SE wimps may indeed have the scenery short straw but at least we wield our short straw decisively :lol:.
Last edited by RIP on Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Hi Rich, sorry just 'crossed posts' there. I don't want to step on Tim's coordinator toes, guess he'll bung it round at some point. As a taster though, rest assured it includes the massive gloopfest on Coombe Hill :o .

benp1

Post by benp1 »

I'm now very likely to be coming as I put the date in the diary and it seems December weekends are filling up around it - so looking like a concrete plan. I need to bag my December BAM

I liked the section we did where we had a little moment of not knowing which direction the path was while it was absolutely pi55ing down. Good times!

Group splitting up was slightly annoying/disappointing but everyone has a GPS so it all worked out in the end.

I'm game for the same route, hopefully it'll be slightly drier

I might also be able to rope in a mate, maybe
RIP

Post by RIP »

"moment of not knowing which direction the path was while it was absolutely pi55ing down" - that was the whole route Ben :lol:

Yeah if all(*) of us have the route details a/ no split will happen, and b/ when the split inevitably, er, DOES happen it's easy to rejoin the rest of the team who are equally lost somewhere else. Er.

(*) in the spirit of BP self-sufficiency, not a good idea to go on any ride with anyone else without being able to sort yourself out if problems anyway?

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm finding this an odd concept ... you lot seem to be planning on actually enjoying it :???:
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

It does all depressingly seem to be a highly polished operation on the face of it doesn't it? But fear not, in the greatest BBB traditions on the day it will all go massively mammaries-vertical and everyone'll be happily having a desperate time of things after all thank goodness :-bd
Last edited by RIP on Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

benp1

Post by benp1 »

Actually, I thought you did a sterling job of navigating Reg, good work. I might even wear a waterproof that is waterproof this time, because I'm worth it

Stu - it's either
1 - Schadenfreude - As long as someone somewhere is having a worse time, things are all good...!
or 2 - once you get enough nutters together you feel part of a group and slightly less nutty
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ta Ben, I'm an iceberg though - a small veneer of positivity overlying a gigantic lather(*) of indecision!

'As long as someone somewhere is having a worse time things are all good' :lol:

(*) what a great word. I'm going to officially designate it Today's Word if I may please.

benp1

Post by benp1 »

Make like a duck. It works in all cases, and it's better than being a swan

On top it's calm and serene. Under the surface your legs rather-a-lather, going like the clappers (or is that the flappers?)
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

I vote for the pub with the biggest fire: we were pretty soggy last year.

Last year's route was great: I'm happy to do it again. :-bd

Permission to bring fireworks, sir?
May you always have tail wind.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

The pub it is then. And I'll ask them to ensure the fire is burning a little more brightly than last year.
Permission to bring fireworks, sir?
Sadly, permission denied. Sam keeps a low profile at the field.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Nowt stopping you launching some fireworks en route Pete, well away from the hideout... off the top of Coombe Hill maybe. Or, hey, here's a cracking idea, you could set a few off as we go past Chequers, apparently those mysterious people in the black range rovers are bored with not much to do and have a fantastic sense of humour :-bd.

Hot fire? It was like a sauna last year :smile:. Note to self: remember to divest ten layers of thermals before entering hostelry...

benp1

Post by benp1 »

I reckon you could get away with some sparklers though!

I doubt I'm going to bring the monster marshmallows and sticks this year. If I remember I might bring something else though