South Wales newbie

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Yerfdog81

South Wales newbie

Post by Yerfdog81 »

Hi all,

I'm a new wanna be bikepacker living in South Wales. I'm looking for advice on how to get started and also to see if there are any experienced bikepackers willing to let me tag along on a trip to show me the ropes!

Cheers
ctznsmith

Re: South Wales newbie

Post by ctznsmith »

Which part of South Wales?

I'm planning to get a train to Abergavenny tomorrow arriving around lunch time and then ride a short loop north west up through the black mountains and back.

It'll will either be a bivy or might try to be at grwyne fawr bothy about sleep time.

FYI I've done a lot of bike packing but I've never ridden in that area before. Also aware it's short notice and a sunday night bivy.

Up for meeting up for other trips though as South Wales is fairly easy to get to from Bristol. There's a short (too short?) Gower loop on bikepacking.com that looks nice.
Yerfdog81

Post by Yerfdog81 »

Wow that was a quick response!

I'm in llantwit major, near bridgend. Ah probably too short notice for me as I haven't got a lot of the kit together yet.

Yeah from looking online there are Gower routes that look good, would be up for that sometime, would ideally like to start with a 1 night bikepack and go from there.
MarkW

Post by MarkW »

I'm down Swansea way
Yerfdog81

Post by Yerfdog81 »

Recommend the Gower as a good starting ride?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

The Gower is lovely, and plenty of places there to wild camp.
Yerfdog81

Post by Yerfdog81 »

Great, sounds good, I'm a bit dubious about getting started but the more I read and hear about bikepacking the more I wish I'd have tried it years ago! Gotta start getting some kit together!
MarkW

Post by MarkW »

Yes the Gower is good. Ive ridsen round it a few times on day rides. Plenty of views, places to resupply. Not too remote as to get easily lost. I'm hoping to get out there one weekend soon for an overnighter.
Yerfdog81

Post by Yerfdog81 »

Give me a shout if you fancy some company, I'd be up for going and seeing how other people do things!
robbiew75

Post by robbiew75 »

Hi I'm in Barry, so really close to you if you fancy an overnighter one weekend
RayKickButts

Post by RayKickButts »

I'm in bridgend but wont be about for a bit as am about to head off on the Big Bear this week .... but am out lots loads of top spots to bivi around us
scott of the woods

Post by scott of the woods »

Yerfdog81 wrote:Wow that was a quick response!

I'm in llantwit major, near bridgend. Ah probably too short notice for me as I haven't got a lot of the kit together yet.

Yeah from looking online there are Gower routes that look good, would be up for that sometime, would ideally like to start with a 1 night bikepack and go from there.
I'm near llandow, loads of coastal spots or up towards the Beacons you would be spoilt for choice, you just need to arrive late and leave early.