Cairngorms Loop - Sept Start

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Cairngorms Loop - Sept Start

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Good luck everyone - be sensible* but not soft. As Greg says, it's only a bike ride but on the other hand, it's your chance to stake your claim on a little piece of bikepacking lore :wink:

*I appreciate that it might be too late.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

This just came up on my Facebook feed (From Highlands and Islands Weather)
On this very day last year we were seeing temperatures of 25 or 26c across parts of the area as far north as Thurso! today some places were just 8 or 9c at noon (Carrbridge, Tomintoul & Glenmore)
PJG

Post by PJG »

GregMay wrote:Did a hasty repack last night with warmer clothing. And waders. And a tent for the night before.

Anyone in the area for the start - there will be a few of us in the pub from 1900 ish.

My packing was already pessimistic enough (hopefully) :-)
I'll be arriving too late for the pub - so will see everyone in the morning.
giryan

Post by giryan »

I basically packed at least twice as many clothes as I'll need. :)

Our ETA to AirbnB in Pitlochry is currently about 6:30 so as long as it doesn't get loads later we'll see you at the pub.
Where's the pub?
Karl

Post by Karl »

Good luck folks. Ride safe and have fun!
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Lots of keen looking riders in the car park this morning. I skipped barging in and saying hello as it was close to kick off. But good luck and enjoy to everyone out.

My ride was good but much, much shorter.
giryan

Post by giryan »

:) I had a very short ride too :/
Started late because I'd managed to leave my helmet in the airbnb.
But 10:30 saw me off, and it was pretty amazing, I've never actually been to the Cairngorms, only driven through to parts even further afield, and it's so beautiful.
I had been going fairly well and enjoying it, despite loosing the trail in a bog for a little bit, until I came to the astonishingly sticky single track section, where I seemingly couldn't either actually pedal for peat, or rocks, or push because it was too narrow.
But I got through, and then there was a really really delightful bit of double track which I was super happy to have some pace again and feeling like I was making progress. Until a minor stream that crossed the track, and a puddle that was a little deeper than it appeared, and I was flying \o/ very happily I managed not to do a classic putting my hand straight out to catch myself :D
However as I was lying on the ground, doing checks to see it it was going to be easy to get up, pondering if I had broken anything(definitely hadn't) nor the bike happily, I realised I'd kinda landed on a rock.
But no matter, I got myself back on the way, congratulating myself for not stopping when I did actually fall at a hurdle.
Soon however my elbow, which was the item that had encountered the rock directly, decided that it really didn't like either bending, staying still, or letting my hand grip well.
As it was lunchtime I decided that what would fix everything was a short break, some food, then I could get back into riding!
So, a little while later I was back on the way, somewhat refreshed, although my elbow was still really not enjoying it as much as the rest of me.
However almost as soon as I started came the first big river crossing, and after some scouting both up and down, I chose a place to try, and got of course wet feet :(
at that point, having spent quite a long time having only got about half of the way that I felt I should/could, injured, wet, cold, and disheartened I basically decided that was enough. I dried off my feet, changed socks, and set off again, deciding I could make it to Feshiebridge, camp and then see how I was doing in the morning.
My elbow however was not getting better, but further stiffening up and so I was riding most of the easy sections with my arm hanging by my side and not making really great speed, so some time later as I was emerging into the Spey valley I decided enough was enough, and called in the rescue wagon, in the guise of my fiance and her Polo.

I will be back, and I will do it, it was so beautiful, and when I wasn't wincing in pain at my elbow I was enjoying all of it. But this time was not to be.
More, much more, endurance riding required too, my legs are not the most happy right now.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I'm back in the van having headed south from Lin of Dee via the tilt.

Arrived back to find Mr Addyman already here having done the same.

Head wind, puncture, coffee stop.

The Avon crossing was right on the limit of what I was prepared to do. And actually only crossed because as I arrived at the bank Bob and Craig were on the other bank. I think with out them being there I'd have gone down the Avon and round via braemar.

After fretting about it the geldie was ankle deep!

My first time in the Cairngorms. Great and really enjoyable, if a bit soggy today, riding. Will be back for sure.

Would like a decent crack at the whole route when both it and I are in good condition.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Glad to here you guys are back safe and sound. Sounds like the recent wet weather has played havoc with the river crossings.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Crikey that were wet!

Bivvied just past Aviemore then got Steve's email about the Burn of Brown so took the road to Tomintoul. Finished by heading down Glen Tilt.

Cath got to the Fords of Avon at 9pm, kipped in the refuge and crossed this morning. She got to Aviemore before deciding to scratch.

In pub trying to stay awake!
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Chew

Post by Chew »

whitestone wrote:Bivvied just past Aviemore then got Steve's email about the Burn of Brown so took the road to Tomintoul
I set off early and elected to just do the outer loop with the conditions.

I got to the burn about 6ish and memories from last time were it was a few inches deep, but this time I was up to my plums a third of the way across. It wasnt getting any shallower and it was running very fast. Decided to back track to Aviemore and call it a day.
Glad that word got around as otherwise its a fair old detour to back out onto the road and then around to Tomintoul.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Glad you are all back safe. It was a bit damp on the ground and weathery at tunes.

I hear that Jenny finished though! :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

ianfitz wrote:Glad you are all back safe. It was a bit damp on the ground and weathery at tunes.

Nae plums to get wet, innit?
PJG

Post by PJG »

I've just finished too :-)
The Fords of Avon was the crux, the Burn of Brown was a babbling brook in comparison.

Chew, sounds like the levels dropped significantly between Sat and Sun.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

PJG wrote:I've just finished too :-)
The Fords of Avon was the crux, the Burn of Brown was a babbling brook in comparison.

Chew, sounds like the levels dropped significantly between Sat and Sun.
Top work :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Well done Pete!

Looking at the map it seems like there's a track on the West Bank of the BoB leading to the road at Bridge of Brown. Ah well. There were no river crossings of note after that, as Ian notes, even the Geldie was just a splash.

Still in Blair Atholl cleaning kit otherwise the car is going to stink :roll:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Start photo for you all

ImageUntitled by Greg.May, on Flickr
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Jenny Graham confirmed as the winner. Boom!

Well deserved victory for a strong ride in none too pleasant conditions.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

whitestone wrote:Well done Pete!

Looking at the map it seems like there's a track on the West Bank of the BoB leading to the road at Bridge of Brown. Ah well. There were no river crossings of note after that, as Ian notes, even the Geldie was just a splash.

Still in Blair Atholl cleaning kit otherwise the car is going to stink :roll:
20 years ago :mrgreen:
Its mostly gone - the best route used to be a wee trail to the east side but hurricane Bertha destroyed that in '14. Now its a wandering line roughly midway between the glen sides with about 5 crossings of the river.....

Well done all for surviving!
slarge

Post by slarge »

ScotRoutes wrote:
ianfitz wrote:Glad you are all back safe. It was a bit damp on the ground and weathery at tunes.

Is it just me thinking this clearly isn't true. She has bigger plums than all the blokes who didn't finish.......

(No offence to Jenny)

Steve, the armchair racer.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Steve - I had similar thoughts even as I wrote it :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

slarge wrote:
ScotRoutes wrote:

Is it just me thinking this clearly isn't true. She has bigger plums than all the blokes who didn't finish.......

(No offence to Jenny)

Steve, the armchair racer.
As one of the bearded tough guys who failed to complete the route, I resen....

Actually I don't in the slightest, despite their woeful under representation in adventure racing (approximately 1 in 8 in bikepacking , fell running, etc) there is little evidence to suggest that women are any less capable. As an example, Jasmin Paris holds the outright record (by 45mins) for the Ramsay Round, ran the 6th fastest ever Bob Graham Round and the 4th fastest ever winter BGR.

The 1 in 8 figure seems fairly consistent across all distances of fell running and wasn't too far off on last year's BB200 as I remember speaking to Stu about it at the time.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Anyway here's a shot of some happy soul washing his bike in the Fords of Avon

ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Bob - has that front hub seized yet?

As for female bike-packers, Lael Wilcox and Sarah Hammond don't seem to have let the lack of testicles hold them back!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:Bob - has that front hub seized yet?
Not got a dynamo hub on the Solaris, I've a Schmidt SON on the commuter but that's still running fine. Hope Pro Evo 2 on the Solaris.