Shropshire bivy?

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mounty

Shropshire bivy?

Post by Mounty »

I have some new bikepacking kit to test out and I thought I would stick local (Shrewsbury) sometime this weekend?

I always seem to be on my own with my walking/camping trips etc. Anyone else fancy it....?
Scattamah

Re: Shropshire bivy?

Post by Scattamah »

I'm not around this weekend, but most weekends I'm at a loose end. I'm over by Much Wenlock and don't mind the back lanes to Shrews.

If you're interested, not this weekend but the next, I'd be up for a bivvy up on Long Mynd. It's been a while.

Greetz

S.
Mounty

Post by Mounty »

Yes, give me a shout.....I need to get out and do a bit more of bivying & biking.

With a bit of notice I can always try and squeeze something in. Next weekend is looking ok at the moment.

Cheers, :-)
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Again, can't this weekend, but I'm up in Northwich, so only a couple of hours away, and always keen to get out..
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Ok...sounds like folks want to get out...can I interest you (or anyone else up for a night out) for 1st July ex Shrewsbury...a little bit of lane work and some trails up onto Long Mynd, down #9 for some dinner/beer @ the Ragleth in Little Stretton...then up onto the tops for a night under the stars? Sunday morning is usually down #8, #9 or Minton Batch and into town for some brekky, with the option for some trails on the east side of the A49 afterwards and/or lanes back into town.

Another option, albeit much less riding and possibly some hassle from local yoof at night is Haughmond Hill or the Abbey. Easy ride out along the Severn, and either lane work to the east side of Haughmond Wood and the fire road or brave the nettles/blackberries and go up the powerline trail and around the south edge of the hill.

I'd also be up for any ideas you may have for the area. Admittedly, I didn't do much bivvying near town when I lived there...I always went south into the hills.

Greetz

S.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I'm over in Stafford and was intending to check out Long Mynd in the near future - I can't make either of the next two weekends unfortunately but any local knowledge of a good bivy spot would be appreciated.
Mounty

Post by Mounty »

Ok...sounds like folks want to get out...can I interest you (or anyone else up for a night out) for 1st July ex Shrewsbury...a little bit of lane work and some trails up onto Long Mynd, down #9 for some dinner/beer @ the Ragleth in Little Stretton...then up onto the tops for a night under the stars? Sunday morning is usually down #8, #9 or Minton Batch and into town for some brekky, with the option for some trails on the east side of the A49 afterwards and/or lanes back into town.
Sounds good to me, the 1st of July is good too.

I have done a bivy on Stiperstones, going back a few years.
Again, can't this weekend, but I'm up in Northwich, so only a couple of hours away, and always keen to get out..
Give me a shout if & when you come down to Shrewsbury. :-)
burty

Post by burty »

is this still going ahead , I was doing the dales 300 but the brown rain came when I got back from run to the sun/rain .
so I don't think I will make it but may be ok for a local shorter ride ,
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

AFAIK, it's on. Just need to organise a start point on Sat.

Any thoughts, folks? I can ride into town or meet in Church Stretton. Either or.

Greetz

S.
Mounty

Post by Mounty »

I'm still up for it. I am only 10mins away from Shrewsbury town, and/or I dont mind cycling to Church Stretton.

What sort of time are we thinking of meeting up Saturday?
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

I've mixed up my dates, and I'm in The Lakes this weekend..
Still want to head down, so happily join up on the next one.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

How does 2pm Saturday at the train station in Shrews sound? Gives us time to pootle to the Mynd, climb up, get a downhill (or 2) in and off for dinner before the bivvy.

Greetz

S.
burty

Post by burty »

i am at work tomorrow scott , but should be able to meet up later in the day /evening .
are you due to go the pub in little stretton , the one we did last year.
if so what time approx will you be there. and I will get dropped off in shrews and ride down later
Mounty

Post by Mounty »

Sorry chap, I wont be able to make it that early in the day, family stuff. It would have to be a bit later in the evening, the earliest I could meet up at the train station would be around 6.30ish?

I could always meet you guys in the pub if that's too late a start for and you want to crack on?
Last edited by Mounty on Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Room for a small furry ginger one! o:-)
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

18:30 @ the station works for me. We'll want to make a beeline for the Ragleth at that point as I think food stops around 20:30. The beer stops later.

Always room, Jase...drop on out.

Greetz

S.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Scattamah wrote:18:30 @ the station works for me. We'll want to make a beeline for the Ragleth at that point as I think food stops around 20:30. The beer stops later.

Always room, Jase...drop on out.

Greetz

S.
Gracias mi amigo! :-bd
burty

Post by burty »

I will ride down from battlefields roundabout to shrews train station . See you at 6.30
Mounty

Post by Mounty »

Sorted, see you all at the station @ 6.30.
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Great ride out & bivi, was rather warm today too :cool:

Good to meet & ride with Mounty, hopefully a future regular boner :-bd
burty

Post by burty »

great weekend , weather and company ,
but don't leave your light on charge at home next time Mounty :lol:
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Glad everyone had a good weekend. Sorry about the faffing on the way out on Sat. evening - amazing how quickly you forget the back lane network when you haven't cycled it for a year. Left-hand path, FTW (cue the music). Not sure I'm sold on the renovation at the Ragleth - made it feel a bit spit 'n sawdust, which isn't a bad thing, except when you're not expecting it.

Nice to meetcha, Mounty. Come out and play again some time. :)

Greetz

S.
Mounty

Post by Mounty »

Thanks for an entertaining weekend, good to meet you guys.

I'm already thinking about another trip out somewhere! :-bd I cant believe I forgot the front light, a school boy error! :lol: