Exmoor this weekend...

Arrange rides with other members.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ZeroDarkBivi

Exmoor this weekend...

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Anybody fancy doing this starting in Taunton on Saturday morning?

http://www.bikepacking.com/routes/bikep ... -quantock/

I know it's crazy late notice but I've just had to bail from the Jenn Ride in the Lakes as I can't get away from work early enough tomorrow to make the journey north (in Friday traffic) feasible.
BigdummySteve

Re: Exmoor this weekend...

Post by BigdummySteve »

I'm down in Devon next week from the 27th I might be able to get away for a little trip, the area around porlock is tough riding, don't forget extra pegs if you camp on dunkery beacon it's exposed.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
ZeroDarkBivi

Re: Exmoor this weekend...

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Interesting route, but I couldn't help wondering if I was riding it in the wrong direction, not least when I was ascending Dunkery Beacon from the East side - brutal! After that I had to bail on the Porlock loop and go direct to Exford as I was starving and it was getting very late for pubs still serving food. Nice bivi next to the Youth Hostel (full of fancy cars and middle aged men enjoying some stag time in the pub!).

It is damn hilly and some of the bridleways just don't ride well, especially when damp. I think the Braunton 150, further west is a nicer route, although there is some good single-track in the eastern side if you are not riding a loaded bike.