robbie

Re: Tuscany Trail 2017, who's going?

Post by robbie »

Me no 146
gairym

Post by gairym »

I'll be there.

Not fully decided what bike to take but been told by a fella I know who's just ridden the new route as an ITT that it's harder than previous years (technically) after Sienna and that he'd recommend an MTB over Gravel/CX bike.
robbie

Post by robbie »

I'm taking my cross bike with 38mm tyres. hopefully it will be the right choice :lol:
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

gairym wrote:I'll be there.

Not fully decided what bike to take but been told by a fella I know who's just ridden the new route as an ITT that it's harder than previous years (technically) after Sienna and that he'd recommend an MTB over Gravel/CX bike.
Mountain bike, mainly because the gravel bike isn't built and I doubt the shifters will be available in time.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

What will the Italians do now? :shock:
May the bridges you burn light your way
gairym

Post by gairym »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
What will the Italians do now? :shock:
If the fella recommending the use of an MTB wasn't sh1t hot at handling a bike then I'd ignore his advice and go on the Gravel beast but I know he can ride a bike and so I think I'm going to listen and take the new 29er.

I'm assuming the Italians still have their 29ers (and colour-matched outfits) in their garages but I'm also assuming that they'll ride what's fashionable irrespective of practicality and common sense.

To be honest I think that either choice will work fine. One option will roll faster but struggle on the small amount of tech and vice versa - we'll all be so full of fine wines and cheap pasta that we won't care anyway!!!
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

On the TT, how much of a problem is it that my Italian is non-existent? Will I find people who are able (and willing!) to speak English?
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Asposium wrote:On the TT, how much of a problem is it that my Italian is non-existent? Will I find people who are able (and willing!) to speak English?
Just speak slowly and very loud supplemented with hand signals, seems to work for everyone else :grin:
gairym

Post by gairym »

Asposium wrote:On the TT, how much of a problem is it that my Italian is non-existent? Will I find people who are able (and willing!) to speak English?
Don't worry about it, you'll be fine.

I know about 8 basic words that I've picked up via riding in Italy over the last few years but the ability to plough ahead and laugh at yourself is infinitely more important than any actual Italian ability.

All you really need is 'ciao' and 'prego' which as far as I can tell account for about 95% of the language.
Chew

Post by Chew »

I'd make the effort to learn a few words.

Usual basics of Hello, Please, Thankyou, etc.

Someone I know (not mentioning names) nearly got thrown out of a refuge for using the phrase "do you speak English" as an opening to a request.

Making an effort, no matter how poor, will always be forgiven.
robbie

Post by robbie »

What are you guys planning on taking for Tuscany sleep wise? My current thinking is lightweight sleeping bag with a bivi bag and leave the tent at home?
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

robbie wrote:What are you guys planning on taking for Tuscany sleep wise? My current thinking is lightweight sleeping bag with a bivi bag and leave the tent at home?
sleeping bag will depend on weather forecast, probably a mountain equipment helium solo sleeping bag

don't have bivi bag, so will be taking a terra nova solar photon 2 (though not much heavier than many bivi and tarp combo's)
robbie

Post by robbie »

Was looking at lighter bags and came across the helium solo was also looking at the omm 1.6 not sure which to get
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

robbie wrote:Was looking at lighter bags and came across the helium solo was also looking at the omm 1.6 not sure which to get
Got the helium solo last year.
Bargain half price from Taunton leisure.
gairym

Post by gairym »

I'm taking a warmish quilt, a mat and bivi bag.

I plan on using a combination of nicely covered stealth sleeping spots (there are numerous disused or part-built houses dotted along the route) and cheap 'who am I kidding it was always going to happen' b&bs when I come across them.

Other than that I'm planning on taking very little.

Sleeping kit in bar bag, spare clothes in seat bag and then a few tools, batteries and snacks in the fuel cells and feed bags and water in cages on the frame - simples!
cycletribes

Post by cycletribes »

I'll be there , 240. Riding a gravel bike with 42c tyres.
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Chew wrote:Someone I know (not mentioning names) nearly got thrown out of a refuge for using the phrase "do you speak English" as an opening to a request.

'Cough'.....

In my (I mean their) defence it did start with a "bonjour"
I understand he (the rider) was hanging out if his arse at the time and the hostel manager replied with "no I'm French and I only speak French" in perfect English !! :wink:
Fortunately the twinkle in the eye of one of the staff standing next to him allowed him to remain on both feet.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

had the final-route email

does anyone have a ride plan?
my plan is four days of 132km

anyone else?
gairym

Post by gairym »

I have a rough, vague, unrealistic plan.

It is.....

A great big smelly day 1 of about 160-170km to get me to Florence by about midnight.

Then a gentle recovery from the moronic excesses of day 1 on day 2 (approx 100km of ill humoured suffering)

Realise that day 1 is going to take more than 1 day of recovery from and so another day of 100km on day 3 before.....

.....getting my sh1t together and finally finding some semblance of form on day 4 and putting in another Imperial century to finish things off in style.

I'm nothing if not predictably foolish.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

gairym wrote:I have a rough, vague, unrealistic plan.

It is.....

A great big smelly day 1 of about 160-170km to get me to Florence by about midnight.

Then a gentle recovery from the moronic excesses of day 1 on day 2 (approx 100km of ill humoured suffering)

Realise that day 1 is going to take more than 1 day of recovery from and so another day of 100km on day 3 before.....

.....getting my sh1t together and finally finding some semblance of form on day 4 and putting in another Imperial century to finish things off in style.

doesn't seem too bad.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

gairym wrote:I have a rough, vague, unrealistic plan.

It is.....

So have they taken out those big lumps in between massa and Florence?
gairym

Post by gairym »

They've changed the route this year. I think the first big one is the same but then it's all different and so we'll have to wait and see what it's like.

In 2015 I got near Florence at around midnight so it's possible (in dry conditions) but no idea what'll actually happen on the day.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Just been going over the finalised version of the route and I think that my idea of how to split up the route might just work.....

Day 01:

Massa to Florence/Firenze
160km
4000m alt gain
08:00 - 00:00 (at my usual elapsed time avg of 10kmph)

Day 02:

Florence to Sienna
110km
2600m alt gain
09:00 - 20:00

Day 03:

Sienna to Radicofani (stunning mountain top fortified town/village)
90km
2000m alt gain
10:00 - 19:00

Day 04:

Radicofani to Capalbio
170km
2500m alt gain
07:00 - 00:00

Obviously the reality will likely have exactly zero overlap with this plan but it's something to think about and to loosely aim for.

Can't wait now!!!
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I'd love to have another go this year but I'll be stuck working on a business park in sunny Basingstoke.